Thread: Fitting an oil temp gauge. Advice appreciated.

Default Fitting an oil temp gauge. Advice appreciated.

I'm intending on fitting an oil temp gauge. I'm looking at getting an el cheapo from ebay. Are they relatively easy to fit, and are there any pitfalls in doing this ? Thanks in advance

Have a dipstick VDO unit that has been working for 30 plus years. Good gear!
    Installing the sender is the challenge for other units.
    Remember that you get what you pay for!
    Alles Gute und ein Guten Tag
    Alpal & Pussycat
    Glitzern Wanze (Glitter Bug) : 70 Beetle
    Scoots: 1959 Lambretta Li150 basket case
    1978 Vespa Super Club Rego
    1985 Vespa PX Club Rego

Quote Originally Posted by Funbus View Post
    I'm intending on fitting an oil temp gauge. I'm looking at getting an el cheapo from ebay. Are they relatively easy to fit, and are there any pitfalls in doing this ? Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpal View Post
    Second-hand, VDO Cockpit 50~150ºC oil-temperature gauges, can be salvaged from several late-1970s to 1980s vintage, water-cooled Audis & Volkswagen cars. If you're lucky, you might even manage to find a second-hand sender, but failing that, new sump or dipstick senders, are readily available.

What other gauge types are you planning to fit?
    Nigel A. Skeet

Editor & Technical Editor
    Transporter Talk magazine
    Volkswagen Type 2 (all five generations - 1950 to 2012) Owners' Club

http://www.vwt2oc.com

Totally agree. I had a sender fitted to the block when Stan Pobjoy built an engine for me. Now that the engine has been replaced I got a VDO dipstick sender from Roy for the new engine. It works very well. The indications on the guage seem to be about what I was seeing with the sender in the block.

Ian
    ---------------------------------
    '89 Syncro Caravelle - Baloo

Thanks all. Will have to consider the dipstick sender.
    I was thinking of a vacume gauge as well further down the track.
    I was reading the gauges thread and it got me worked up a bit about gauges

I have fitted a sender in the motor I am building. It goes in an adapter that replaces the screw plug of the oil pressure relief valve.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....31-115-431-400

It's made to suit the 150 degree VDO sender. Because of the location it is tucked away very nicely out of harms way. It will be interesting to see how well it works.
    1976 Camper (Bullet)
    1975 Microbus (Big Bird)
    1972 Marauder
    Kombi Camper Trailer

http://www.paulsweb.info/marauder

Why a vac gauge? They just flick about all the time.
    Volt. yes
    Temp. yes
    Time. yes
    Amp. maybe
    Tacho. optional
    Alpal & Pussycat
    1985 Vespa PX Club Rego

Why a vac gauge? They just flick about all the time.
    Volt. yes
    Temp. yes
    Time. yes
    Amp. maybe
    Tacho. optional
    I read that a vacume gauge gives a good indication as to how things are internally on the engine

Ive been considering putting 2 vac guages on. One to monitor each manifold. Been having lots of problems with air leaks so thought watching whats happening in real time might be interesting (may not be usefull but at least interesting)
    '74 Kombi
    '75 L bug
    '77 Army Kombi

One day Ill be able to pick a van and go for a drive. Today Ill just have to ride my bike

Check out how i did my oil temp sender. It's halfway down this page. If you can braise it's the way to go for sure, you just need to get a threaded insert because the senders have a plumbing thread. it took me an hour and a half including dumping the oil and re-filling it. I prefer the sump sender over the dipstick senders because;
    -it doesn't add another wire to your engine bay
    -there are no high/low oil level marking on the dipstick senders (?? this just makes no sense....it's a dipstick)
    -the sump sender is giving you a temp of the oil right next to the oil pick-up which is the oil that the engine is about to circulate
    just my 2c
    Yeah she can go faster, but if we went faster you couldn't see how good she looks!

Quote Originally Posted by 1500king View Post
    you really just need to ask yourself one simple question..." why have I had so many air leaks so frequently" . The answer usually lies in a lack of adequate maintenance or poor quality parts.
    yes just lots of patchups
    '74 Kombi
    '75 L bug
    '77 Army Kombi

One day Ill be able to pick a van and go for a drive. Today Ill just have to ride my bike

Quote Originally Posted by Schnidlee View Post
    Check out how i did my oil temp sender. It's halfway down this page. If you can braise it's the way to go for sure, you just need to get a threaded insert because the senders have a plumbing thread. it took me an hour and a half including dumping the oil and re-filling it. I prefer the sump sender over the dipstick senders because;
    -it doesn't add another wire to your engine bay
    -there are no high/low oil level marking on the dipstick senders (?? this just makes no sense....it's a dipstick)
    -the sump sender is giving you a temp of the oil right next to the oil pick-up which is the oil that the engine is about to circulate
    just my 2c

What sized thread was your oil-temperature sender? It looks to be quite large, compared to what I would normally expect from VDO! The most common VDO sump-mounted, oil-temperature senders, have an M14 x 1·5 mm thread, but there is also a smaller one, with an M10 x 1·0 mm thread.

Here's what mine looks like:

The right-hand sump plate (fits beneath the VW Type 4 engine's oil filler tube & dipstick tube), is fitted with a VDO stubby-length, oil-temperature, gauge-sender (VDO part No. 323 801 012 002) having an M14 x 1·5 mm thread.

The sump plate was modified, by brazing to the internal surface, half of a VW Type 2, M14 x 1·5 mm threaded wheel nut; providing about three complete thread turns.

These gauges, were two of three I purchased new in 1989, from the German Car Company, in Hadleigh, Essex. Both are fitted in my British specification, 1973 VW Type 2, Westfalia Continental campervan.

The electrical connections, to the positive (+), earth and gauge-sender (G) terminals, of both of these and several other VDO Cockpit gauges, can be made using three-way connector blocks (VW-Audi part No. 321 971 970; VDO part No. 89 098 008) with latched, ¼ inch, female blade connectors, salvable from various 1980s vintage, water-cooled VW & Audi cars.

This is the configuration, I elected to use on my 1911 cc, VW 17/1800 Type 2 & 4 hybrid engine, employing a home-made, 50 mm tall spacer mast, a single, ATE hydraulic-brake banjo-fitting, salvaged from a mid-1970s BMW and the special ATE, dual oil-pressure-switch banjo-fitting (single banjo with through-feed bolt), salvaged from a mid-1980s, VW-Audi water-cooled engine. All of these have the appropriate M10 x 1·0 mm threads.

Last edited by Nigel; 28-05-2010 at 12:37 AM.
    Nigel A. Skeet

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    What sized thread was your oil-temperature sender? It looks to be quite large, compared to what I would normally expect from VDO!
    No idea what size thread it was mate, i just remember i couldn't buy a nut to fit it from any fixture stores so i had one made (thanks dad). It was a VDO sender and VDO gauge i bought from repco, cost $20-30 for the sender. They ordered one in for me which was much narrower (similar size to yours) but it was really long, so i got them to order another one which was shorter but wider.
    Yeah she can go faster, but if we went faster you couldn't see how good she looks!

Narellans Home - But would prefer the open road

I picked up a Sump plug sender from Wayne Penrose and wired it up to a VDO Gauge under the dash. simple to set up, works well and is out of sight (until oil change time)
    Nath.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bubba the big RED bus, 75 Bay, 2ltr Weapon of Mass Consumption. A bit like his owner
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is Life & there is everything before Owning a VW!

Quote Originally Posted by saabman View Post
    Ive been considering putting 2 vac guages on. One to monitor each manifold. Been having lots of problems with air leaks so thought watching whats happening in real time might be interesting (may not be usefull but at least interesting)
    Good point. With twin carbs/ seperate manifolds, one vac gauge is only monitoring half of the engine!
    Alpal & Pussycat
    1985 Vespa PX Club Rego

Default Fitting an oil-temperature gauge

So! Which gauges thread got you so worked up? Was it this one by any chance?

'How To' & 'Handy Hints' > Retro-fitting supplementary gauges

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=19396
    Nigel A. Skeet

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    So! Which gauges thread got you so worked up? Was it this one by any chance?

'How To' & 'Handy Hints' > Retro-fitting supplementary gauges

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=19396
    Yes, that's the one

Yes, that's the one
    I included quite a bit of information in that article, including details of the two different lengths of oil-temperature dipstick sender and various sizes of oil-temperature sump sender, but here are some links to one non-Australian retailer:

http://www.ahnendorp.com/category-0-30/

VDO gauges & senders

http://www.ahnendorp.com/News/Oil-te...and-gauge.html

Oil temperature kit VDO with dipstick 327mm and gauge 52mm, 150°C.
    To fit on all lenghts up to 327mm (including adjust screw).

http://www.ahnendorp.com/News/Oil-te...and-gauge.html

Oil temperature kit VDO with dipstick 507mm and gauge 52mm, 150°C.
    To fit on all lenghts up to 507mm (including adjust screw).

Yesterday, I appended the official VDO Cockpit circuit wiring diagrams, for the oil-temperature, oil-pressure & cylinder-head temperature gauges, plus the alternator-sensed tachometer and my own suggested circuits for a voltmeter & remote-shunt ammeter.
    Last edited by Nigel; 30-05-2010 at 12:26 AM.
    Nigel A. Skeet

Volksworld camper and bus did a special pull out this month on modifications etc 'Keeping your bus alive', one of the sections is about fitting aftermarket gauges.

If you send me an email address i will scan and send to you, has nice pictures to guide you through it aswell, i am also in the process of fitting oil temp, pressure and battery gauge cluster which is all covered.

Let me know pal.
    My Father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belguim with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery!

I've decided to go for the dipstick unit. Seems an easy solution