Thread: Vibrating gear stick

Default Vibrating gear stick

Morning all. I wonder if anyone can explain the fix for a vibrating gear stick? My old, conventional gear stick has been vibrating for a while (nearly as long as I can remember) and you can sort of feel the vibrations in the floor pan. Now that I've swapped over to a trigger shifter it's decidely more noticeable as the trigger bit sort of sings when you drive along.

I recently replaced the front bush on the gear stick so I don't think it's this. Cold it be that the other bushings need replacing too? (The ones where you have to drop the engine), or could it be something more serious? As a bit of background information the gear box was rebuilt around 5 years ago and the engine about three years ago.

A google search on "vibrating gear stick" revealed that it appears nearly every car in prodction has had this problem at one stage or another with fixes recommended ranging from replacing bushes, to replacing engine and gear box mounts, to misaligned gearboxes. I hope this in an easy fix in a kombi...or even better that someone tells me it's nothing to worry about.

I would have thought engine and/or gearbox mount would be the more likely solution.
    If you stick with the german rubber mounts rather than any urethane it will help.
    A 69SC daily driver, the wife's 71 Dormobile, a 72 beetle and my 54 oval that will see the race track some time this century

Nothing to worry about, infact, you could say your car has an extra accessory??????

Hmmm... not so sure about the extra accessory

After going for a bit more of a drive it sounds like there's more of a hum going on that vibrates through the floor. It only happens when it's in gear. Go into neutral whilst travelling along and the hum goes away

After driving around a bit this weekend I now know it's not gear box related at all.

I was driving down Mount Glorious and knocked it out of gear when it was making the noise. It's more of a hum (like a constant dragging noise, a bit like an old dyno on a push bike) and seems to be more prevalent when going around left hand bends and disappears when going round right hand bends.....making me think the hum is wheel related.

I've just had the brake caliper redone on the right hand side...could it be that the left caliper needs doing aswell, or could it be something like a wheel bearing problem? Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Matt

Bearing is more likely.
    A 69SC daily driver, the wife's 71 Dormobile, a 72 beetle and my 54 oval that will see the race track some time this century

if i had off seen this earlyer i would have just said take out the battries

Cheers Scotty.... get your mind out of the gutter

Bearing issue hey? Which side? Front or back??? Aaarghh. A can of worms.....

I've jacked the bus up and wobbled the wheels and there's no noticeable sign on either side.

How much are a good set? I've seen that Roy has them for $29 fron fronts and $49 for rears, but they're out of stock. Is this the order of cost for them?

Finally, are they easy to replace yourself or do you need a special vw tool / bench set up?

So many questions... so little time

fronts are easy backs are more time consuming and frustrating,do the fronts first,mine chewed out the passenger side as water was making its way through where the speedo cable enters underneath should have been a rubber seal there that was missing,jack the car up and spin the wheels by hand as fast as you can and listen you should be able to hear the bad one

If they are bad you may be able to feel a "grinding" when you spin the tyre.
    Rears need a big socket and a long cheater bar to get them off and torque them up.
    Buy genuine. Farquire makes a good point re the front LHS. I had the same on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by VolksVair View Post
    Nothing to worry about, infact, you could say your car has an extra accessory??????
    beat me to it

76 SC 1986-1995
    75 SC 2011

Thanks for the heads up guys. Will investigate further this evening...