1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘77 T2 WITH POTENTIAL

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by GeorgiT2, Dec 24, 2018.

1. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

• 77 would have come with a 2 litre motor - did you get the engine number?
    • 002 is what you saw on the gearbox isn't it? that could be a 3 or 5 rib box - no real problem (there's more of them around) - one of mine has a 5 rib mated to a 2 litre - previously had a 3 rib - just revs a bit higher (but that also means good acceleration)
    • there should be a compliance plate behind the drivers seat - probably 8 seats 2+3+3 - at some stage in QLD it mustn't have had the rear seats so it went to 2; however, i'd get rid of that plate if you are putting more seats in - the important thing is it has the mounting points for seats and seatbelts
    • yeah, i'd expect to replace all rubber and seals
    • clutch is cable so adjustable, gearshift has nylon bushes (and my microbus has grease nipples), steering box hopefully still has some adjustment and there are other pivot points that can be replaced
    • drive some more - whether you are interested in them or not (for comparison)

GeorgiT2 and cbus like this.
  2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Blue Queensland Compliance Plate is for modifications SO if the Australian Compliance (an aluminium stamped "plate") stated 7 Seats and someone. sometime registered it in Qld and it only had 2 seats then it would be classed as a modification to original approval and engineer inspection and approval it had a seatbelt for each seat. Alas Modification Plate from Qld does not hold up in other states as it's up to that state inspector to approve it & vice versa ..... Qld I think is the only state to do a Blue Plate. There is also a paper Certificate issued that MUST stay within the vehicle which I believe is the same in all states.

Report is ok ..... others would be interested in how you got on.

GeorgiT2 likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

Oh and as for being disappointed :( buy with your head not your heart ;)

OSF likes this.
  4. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

So what was it like? Any good?

wombatventures likes this.
  5. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Bearing in mind the owner may be on this forum, I’ll just say I thought it was too expensive considering its very poor condition and engine number not matching the paperwork.

6. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

My head says it’s too expensive a starting point, the engine has been changed and not recorded, and I need to inspect more examples to compare. My heart is disappointed because I probably need a bigger starting budget.

7. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Ok, I see

8. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

so what was the engine number?

9. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Still a CJ just different six digit number to the documents.

10. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

oh ok...so when you said 1800 motor in a previous post did you mean gearbox off an 1800?

CJ is 2 litre

Both engine numbers match and begin with 002. The number of ribs and whether they were faceted at the top was unclear. I suspect facet at 45degrees, which along with 002, suggests an 1800 motor. Not resolved.

11. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Tin Top I thought I read that 002’s are 1800’s. But I’m starting to get the idea that engines and gearboxes are readily interchangeable, and is common practice. I’m getting a bit confused with the 227 _____number, the CJ____one, the 002___one and the compliance plate one.
    Wondering whether I’m getting a big bogged down in the minutae. Time in the search process will tell.

12. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

As someone said, my Kombi will find me, somehow.

13. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

I see. Then it was a three rib box, and I realise it’s a seperate ‘box’ to the diff where the drive shafts come out.
    The ribs are just a lot less protruding than I expected .

14. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

I missed the compliance plate check, thinking it was the blue one in the engine bay. So I didn’t look behind the seat. There was no metal behind the seats on this one, either. It’s all interesting stuff, how they’re put together.

15. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

I’m getting it now: CJ is engine, 002 is transmission, and 227 is Chassis.

16. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Thanks for all your time and advice on this fun project.

17. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

A Beetle drove past us in Daylesford on the way home from inspecting. Wish I had the chance to record the raucous bark of that motor. So good.

18. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

It would be a 1600 gear box with three ribs with a 2 litre motor attached:eek:o_O:confused:. That raises more questions then answers. With the bell housing and gearbox drive shaft what have they done with them.

19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Correct.

And the 002 can apply ti 3 rib and 5 rib.
    As Wayne said.....A 3 rib in front of a 2 litre is not a good option.
    Although they bolt up fine the overall ratios are out enough to be a concern and input shafts have differences that can be sorted but may not be and would demand checking.

Regards gearbox assy.
    Although the gearbox ,diff can be separated.,........ typically the gearbox, diff, bell housing is one unit.

20. KahunaKombi

Compliance Plates are sometimes painted over :eek: when paint jobs done.