1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

090 Auto & Subi SVX Power

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Wattie, May 8, 2014.

1. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Report on pinion failure on the recent Perth 2014 trip (refer that thread) it seems fairly certain the trouble started with the collapse of the pinion bearing allowing usual side and end loadings to be put on the pinion gear resulting the gear slowly working loose on the pinion shaft and eventually stripping the splines (see pic) this problem certainly did NOT happen O/nite and must have been festering for some time. The interesting thing is there was not one sound out of the trans until it lost drive (with a bang) however for years it always appeared to go from reverse to drive with a bit of a "clunk" was this noise the pinion already loose on the shaft ?
    Another possible cause, I sourced this trans from a badly written off T3 and only upgraded the auto section to handle the SVX engine maybe the sudden stop planted the seed of a future failure?
    I have now driven the vehicle some 50Ks, with the higher gearing and it and it feels great, didn't even feel the Perth hills or raise a sweat and the acceleration from the lights is just one big lunge.........YO!

At Kalgoorlie ready for Perth
    [​IMG]
    V.I.Puppy in the tow truck.....waiting
    [​IMG]
    Its easy on a hoist
    [​IMG]
    Looked ok till we turned the wheels
    [​IMG]

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Hi Wattie, glad to hear you are mobile again. How did you get on with the front end damage from the initial tow truck.

3. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Second Chapter

A well used pinion bearing, no noise, go figure ?
    [​IMG]
    Love to know if others have had this one ?
    [​IMG]
    The new 3.73 Crown wheel & Pinion "In the groove" sweet.
    [​IMG]
    And while we were waiting, luxury living just two doors away
    [​IMG]

4. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Hi Phil, There is a crease across the front just below the wipers and the front bumper is sort of bent upwards a bit, damage is not too bad will no doubt have to fix it myself, will post a pic tomorrow.

5. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Great to see all is well again guys, are you gunna go of to Broome? or just return back. You really need a hol mate so go North son. lol

6. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Irene, Sophie looking a bit hungry luv.

7. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Great to see your back on the road....and was that a pic of your T3 on a tow truck?

8. jennifer lane

jennifer lane Member

Hi,Great 2 see you r back on the road,My kombi has been on that Highwat tilt with Gerhardt a couple of times,If you,s do come back this way ,stop into Caiguna an say hi.Hope it all goes well this time.Cheers Jeni.

9. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

We are still going ? currently at Ceduna, have been without comms for awhile, trans update, the taller diff ratio has certainly made a difference to the fuel economy, travelling at aircooled kombi speed :rolleyes: ie: 80/90Kph we got a sniff under 13Lts/100Ks ! @ 2700/2900 rpm, at normal speed we are getting 14s I'm rapped, travels sweet at 110/120Kph and no difference in trans temp.

Will catch up with Perth trip info later.

ps..............Met Jenifer Lane at Caiguna, had a steak sandwich and a chat, good to met a fellow VW person so far out in the Boonies

10. jsmiller

jsmiller Member

Sorry to here about your trans dramas but glad you got it all sorted!! The 3.73s sound to be much better suited for that SVX motor! Your in Ceduna? I'm in Streaky Bay Tuesday and Wednesday night for work I'll shout you a beer if you make it down here tomorrow night?

11. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Great to see you and irene are back on the road at long last. Shame we didnt spend more time together travelling......maybe next year?

enjoy your trip and look up runawayviking if you have face book......braink and myself bumped into him at caiguna....hes a right nutter from norway with a welsh accent thats making his way from perth to brisbane on a bike!!! think hes just past port augusta so you should catch him.

Keep us up to date....good luck

Martin and angie

12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

That'd be cool! Pic Please!

Two Gold Auto T3's that have BOTH been in my driveway at different times!:lol:

13. jsmiller

jsmiller Member

Max isn't with me unfortunately!! He is nice and cozy in the garage back in Adelaide. I flew into Ceduna yesterday for work so a pic of my commodore wagon hire car won't be all that cool! Lol

14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Fair enough......

But a pic of Wattie's T3 with a Commode Wagon could work, with a "which would you rather own?" title....:p

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

When are you heading to Broome?
    We are planning on leaving Perth for Broome late June...no rush to get anywhere..keep in touch....Jerome & Suzanne

16. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Great to hear Paladin is alive and well again guys. Enjoy the rest of your cruise. How is Sophie doing after that ordeal with the mongrel dog?

17. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for all the comments people, sorry we missed you at Streaky Bay Jess, we'd been bush again without comms, Optus only goes as far as you can throw a piece of balsa wood !
    The T3 is running spot on (as it should) but is looking well used with all the dirt tracking we have been doing and of course the crease across its nose. We are currently in Port Lincoln at a CP, badly needed a shower ! will be here until 30/5. Sophie is back to her old self, just as noisy and bossy as usual.
    T3s must be rare in this half of the country, a lot of people have commented on the camper set up and until informed they all think its a ICHIBICHI L300...........really some people!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We will be heading home buy a direct route to regroup mow the lawns etc and get the body damage repaired then off to parts north coast NSW.

18. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Great to see everything is back to normall guys, well as can be.