1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000 memories

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Deluxe, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Well, I received a PM from someone to say that it was good form to make a speech on reaching your 1000 posts.

It is with some embarrassment that I look at my avatar and see next to it the words 'Kombi Guru'.
    The last thing I would class myself as when it comes to these wonderful beasts is a guru.
    Having said that, I've come a long way in my 2 years since joining when I barely knew which end the motor was in. The other weekend, I stripped the entire interior out of my project van - something that I was very proud of and wouldn't even have dreamt of taking on 12 months ago (putting it back together will no doubt prove more tricky).
    The ability to carry out a restoration (albeit under expert guidance) and also the fact that I can now perform basic maintenance on my camper is down to all of you lot out there. I watch and learn from the brilliant posts that people put up and all of the advice that comes in from all corners of the country - advice and assistance that demystifies jobs I once thought of as impossible.

At times, the road has been a bumpy one - sometimes literally. On our way back from our first ever KC event (Old Bar 2008) where we met lots of wonderful people, we were driving down the freeway at 90 km/h about 10 mins from Old Bar when all of a sudden (and with no real warning), the rear wheel decided to fly off leaving me fighting for control. To be honest, looking back that was probably the most terrifying moment of my life (it's been a sheltered one :) ) - I can now relate to the saying 'my whole life flashed before me'. Anyway, all was good in the end but the best thing to come out of this was the true sense of the KC community. It's all a bit of a blur but within 2 minutes of having the accident, around 5 Kombi's had pulled over to help us. We will be forever grateful to those who stopped to help get us on our way again and followed us most of the way home to check we were ok - you know who you are.

So that brings me to the people. Our first ever meeting with anyone on the KC was with Chuck (77/Kombi/surfer) - we went up to pick up an annex that we'd bought from him and got treated like royalty. After that there was Old Bar - we had a great time there and met some great folk, The only other official KC event we've made was on our doorstep for the Manly festival of surf last year. We often plan to come to events but work, holidays and sometimes hangovers get in the way. KC was the first forum I joined of any sort - & it's the only one that I've consistently come back to - that says a lot about our community. Most people I have met on here have been fabulous...likeminded, helpful, never short on time and the thing that stands out the most is that everyone is prepared to give more than they take back....something that is rare in modern society.
    Then there have been the contacts I have got through here and used - I wouldn't have known about them without the KC - Damo built my special engine, Al at Das Resto Haus who did some work on my camper to the highest imaginable standard, Dave Butler who built me up a mean gearbox and Brad at Bus'n'bug for his trimming work and general helpfulness. Thanks to Jonno Ward too who must have told me a million times what my tyre pressures should be as well as offering up other helpful advice :)
    There are also a number of people who I have never physically met, but I feel like I know them pretty well...people who I ask whether they'd do this or whether they'd buy that or why do I bother keeping my bldy kombi? Never thought I'd be one for internet friends but there are a few folk on here I am sure I'll meet up with and share a beer with one day.

The KC spirit is alive and well - with my current resto, I have been inundated with help and advice. Andrew - (1500king) has proved my bible on defining what should go in to my stock build. People have come forward with parts that I've been after - thanks Harry, Dean and Chuck for the bits you have helped me with. I was even contacted by PM last week by 2 very kind members offering me something for nothing - thanks Wes and Grant - your kindness restores my confidence in humanity.

Admittedly, there have been times where I've been disheartened with things said and done on here and sworn not to spend so much time online and more time actually driving my Kombi - it works for a month and then I find myself back again.

Thanks to you all for making this a great place - keep it cool, keep it friendly and happy Kombi-ing

2. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Nicely said Dave. :)

Congrats on being a Guru. Don't worry, I call myself the Clueless Guru (and still am), yet you've learned lots from the KC, so don't talk yourself down.

Well done. Do you reckon Babs will go for calling you El Guru from now on? :umm:

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Congrats on Guru Status Dave.... enjoy the view! :)

Awesome post, in the true spirit of KC guru posts - well done!

Looking forward to catching up in a couple of weeks. ;)

4. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Congrats Dave, without you I would probably be still looking for a radio blank plate, cheers

Enjoy the view.

5. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

:) CONGRATULATIONS GURU DAVE:)

Great post....from a worthy Guru

6. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Welcome to gurudom (if that s a word) Congratulations Dave

7. vinny

vinny Active Member

Congratulations mate, will have to organise getting that mat down to you now :)

8. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

:D Congratulations Dave.:D
    Welcome to the Guru Clan.
    Very nicely put guru speech as well, seems they're getting better than the old "Gee Thanks Guys" days.

9. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Well said Dave.

The Guru speech bar keeps getting raised everytime!

Thank God I was back in the "Gee Thanks Guys" days!

10. the invisible smith

the invisible smith New Member

Congrats Dave, great words mate.

Here's to the next 1000! :D