1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

123 TUNE+ Distributors.

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by 1500king, Aug 13, 2021.

1. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Folks, I'd like to do a thread about electronic distributors (all views welcome), but more so the Albertronic 123+ Bluetooth distributor.

oldman likes this.
  2. 1500king

It is the only electronic option that I have been able to completely install the 021905205P advance curves to. It has a MAP.. to detect vacuum aswell.

3. 1500king

Folks, I'd like to share what I do. I've had great success particularly with big webered motors running "cruise" vacuum advance. Stock motors... its rock solid with a bluetooth immobiliser.

Mordred and oldbus like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Yep - I have one of these from Andrew and am very happy with it.
    The Bluetooth gauges have been and additional helpful bit of kit

1500king likes this.
  5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Andrew, I’d like to know more about these dizzies…..I’m pretty sure my stock dizzie would be getting tired by now and have heard good things about the 123….
    I’m running a stock CJ 2 ltr with stock carbs.
    Cheers,
    Mark

6. merrymike

merrymike New Member

How did you go with getting the vaccuum to work? I'm not entirely sure mine is functioning on twin Webers. What vacuum curve do you use?

7. oldman

Andrew hasn’t been back since August……workshop must overflowing !
    Cheers,
    Mark

8. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Plenty of his posts on his work and business are on the kombi club facebook site.

9. oldman

…….which has nothing to do with KC Forums…..
    Will be good when Andrew finds the time to update this thread…..
    Cheers,
    Mark

10. 1500king

It is..

11. 1500king

Sorry, been running around like a cut snake, little 8 month lad in the mix too... just to make life a bit more exciting!

The 123 TUNE+ bluetooth IS COMPLETELY ELECTRONIC. The only service items it has is the standard bosch rotor button and cap, so no searching 'performance retailers' for weird distributor caps if you ever need one.

There is no mechanical centrifugal advance mechanism, so no need to lube anything and the dizzy shaft is on bearings.

Anybody who says that their 'electronic distributors' are 'maintenance free' due to an electronic module in their stock dizzy, or conventional aftetmarket dizzy are lying or ignorant.

It has an inbuilt 'test light' LED, so static timing it up is a piece of cake and you don't need a test light or multimeter for initial install.

In the pic, you can just see the little square LED in the slot of the reluctor wheel.

20211020_213629.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2021 at 7:53 AM
    77/kombi/surfer and oldman like this.
  12. 1500king

On the tail end, it is supplied with o-ring. I make the spacer so it sits in the case at the same depth as a stock distributor and so it doesn't load up the distributor drive by bottoming out.

You dont need to do this on the CSP pacemaker(CSP make a bosch -like housing and use the 123 internals). , but is a little more.

20211020_214414.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2021 at 7:53 AM
  13. 1500king

The sole reason I use the Bluetooth + model is that both vac and centrifugal maps are completely programmable and remote by mobile phone app, so no need to pull the distributor to use a usb cable(tin/fan housing in the way most times) as per the USB + model.

I can also use the vac load sensing timing on modified motors with webers and dial it in, not possible with conventional vacuum can. This makes a BIG difference to driveability and fuel economy.

The Bluetooth model also has a remote 'dashboard' via the app for monitoring live data, and an immobiliser, so you can lock out the dizzy for security.

If you have a fully loaded camper you might need a Bluetooth repeater planted strategically if you like having the dashboard on screen.

The reason I don't use the basic 123 is the table below. I went through all the installed curves as it is restricted to these via small switch in the side of the distributor, with very few of them actually being correct for their part number.... and none for 2L bus, or 1600 bus. All checked against factory data/graphs which I have.

2a3906aa04d448282c36991746424e00.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021 at 12:05 PM
  14. 1500king

No, not advertising, you can go buy whatever you want, whenever and wherever you want. Just going through features and what I consider important... and being able to run the correct advance curve is one of them. I'd love to run a stock distributor all day long, but the last time I saw a new genuine one was in 1998 for $590.

There are a few 123 models, not all of them useful.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021 at 12:02 PM
  15. 1500king

General features:

You can use down to 1 ohm primary coil resistance(need to check before install).

You can leave ignition on as long as you want, it goes to sleep, then wakes up when you start cranking.

Reverse polarity protection. Idiot proof.

Immobiliser and access pass code(+ Bluetooth only, negotiate your added vehicle security with your insurer).

Remote dashboard (+bluetooth)

6v or 12v, great for split kombi purists/6v cars wanting electronic ignition.

You can store more than one ignition map, and use accordingly based on your requirements.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021 at 2:13 AM
    cbus likes this.
  16. 1500king

The dashboard..

Vacuum advance

Mechanical advance

Tacho

GPS speed

Voltage at distributor

Temperature at distributor

Dashboard below.....

Screenshot_20211020-223712.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2021 at 7:54 AM
  17. 1500king

The Curves page in the app is next, pretty easy to use.

Across the top- files which gives you a list of your programs... more useful for me with a pile of them... but you get the idea. You can save, copy, delete, and share to others via Skype.

Save file, self explanatory.

Read - to read the installed curves, normally these will self populate when you connect.

Write- once you've changed your data if you need to, write it to the dizzy and you will get a dialogue box to save in your database.

Screenshot_20211020-224453.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2021 at 7:55 AM
  18. 1500king

Next on curves page is 'centrifugal advance'. I program in whatever I need to do. In regard to a stock 2.0 CJ curve, its no big secret, you just need a VW Type 2 'first edition' factory manual, either US spec yellow manual, or global purple/white covered. I have both, good for different things. We all know(those of us who have had stock buses a long time), that they had a 5400rpm rev limiting rotor button. The 123+ Bluetooth also has a rev limiter.

19. 1500king

Factory manual

20211020_230237.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2021 at 7:55 AM
  20. 1500king

Factory manual, first edition Type 2.. either the US spec yellow cover or global purple /white cover. I have them both for their individual sections, like westy camper/carbs/efi/catalytic converter..cali spec ignition

20211020_230309.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2021 at 7:56 AM
    cbus likes this.