1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

123 TUNE+ Distributors.

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by 1500king, Aug 13, 2021.

1. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

You need this bit for a 1800 non smog/ 2L bus. Ignore engine code, look at distributor part numbers.

20211020_230416.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2021
  2. 1500king

Ok, centrifugal curve, program in the set points as per factory manual, I like to start it at 1000rpm, instant perk.. set rev limit.

I've seen a wasted 123+ with a 009 curve programmed in, because that's all they could find on the internet.

Your stock carb throttle gaps need to be 100% set to factory spec. To get good idle , as mentioned, and carbs are not worn out. Critical for correct idle speed @875 rpm and vac advance happening as soon as you crack the throttle.

Screenshot_20211020-232156.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2021
  3. 1500king

Vac advance.. everybody gets this wrong...

The setting in the distributor is in Kpa and as ABSOLUTE PRESSURE. Therefore 101kpa is atmospheric pressure, SO....convert the factory mmHG vacuum in to Kpa, then subtract from 101kpa..

I've had cars come in with Vac set from absolute zero vac(perfect vacuum).. .. I just checked it on a tourist service... they left with the correct curve.

Start it at 1000 rpm.. if carbs are a bit flogged and can't control things properly, you can set the start..

Screenshot_20211020-232204.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  4. 1500king

Screenshot_20211020-234658.jpg Page 3 of the app.. settings..

Leave most of them...for a 12v clockwise vee dub.

This is where you immobilise , and change the default 1234 pin code to your own.

You can flick the immobiliser with key on, engine off. In immobilised position, the motor will fire , but won't start.

Simple.

5. 1500king

That's about it.. dont burn up pistons and heads from the junk that is out there.

oldman likes this.
  6. 1500king

Ladies and gents, hope it helps, and answers a few questions... remember, even a rebuilt stock dizzy by somebody who knows the parts is better than a chinko '034' 'electronic' snapper sinker.

KahunaKombi and oldman like this.
  7. 1500king

You need to carefully drill out your vac port on the Weber with a 2mm drill bit. Set your idle so that the stop is a throttle stop, throttle plates need to sit off the wall of carbs by about 1/2 turn of screw, no more than 3/4 otherwise you start to uncover progression ports and vac port. This also ensures you don't run into idle progression drillings at idle. Use the Weber bypass screws to set idle speed. The standard weber vac port hole is not enough. Hence 2mm. Then you can dial it in. Don't drill into the throttle plate. Take precautions.

8. 1500king

I wanna see people enjoy their cars. Driveability and longevity of service works for me. Here you go.. a free factory advance curve!

Mordred and oldman like this.
  9. 1500king

BTW the Champion N288 plugs are EFI bus plugs, bosch W8CCO. The difference between W8CC is in the electrode W8CCO efi plugs had a 3mm 'longlife' electrodes opposed to the W8CC 2.5mm. More Volksdoktor trivia..carb CJ motors need bosch W7CC(ngk b6es ) above 25c, and bosch W8CC below 25c(ngk b5es). That's if you bother to run the engine thermostat too.... OooooooO.. I forget.. vw 'without guesswork'.

10. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Awesome update Andrew……and congrats. on your new Apprentice !
    He will change your life.
    Great to hear the shop is humming.
    Cheers,
    Mark

1500king likes this.
  11. 1500king

Lastly, timing with timing light to finish off, it's the factory spec in this case, 7.5 degrees btdc with vac hose disconnected at 875 rpm +/- 50 rpm.... exactly per original dizzy as that is how it's been programmed.

Thanks for sorting out the pics, mods

PS, download the 123 Tune + app from the app store and have a play.

KahunaKombi, oldman and Mordred like this.
  12. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

can we make this a sticky please

Mordred and oldman like this.
  13. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Stuck !
    Thanks Andrew for your expertise and willingness to pass on your knowledge.
    Cheers,
    Mark

14. Aspudis

Aspudis Well-Known Member

Great info Andrew.
    If it helps any others considering one of these distributors, I bought one for our Kombi six months ago and it’s probably the best money I’ve spent in ages.

Came already programmed by Andrew with the correct curves and has been fantastic! Kombi hasn’t missed a beat since and has definitely improved drivability and reliability. Good bit of gear.