1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1967 13 window walkthrough Deluxe

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by DakDak67, May 12, 2014.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Sadly, not all people are prepared to pay that little bit extra.

Some people don’t get what really needs to be done

oldman and Wayne murray like this.
  2. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

And from the other side, it's super frustrating when you are up front about the job you want, understand what it takes and not only are prepared but expect to pay extra, the shop indicates they will do this and then they take short cuts and when you pull them up on it they winge and say they did it the easier way as it would have cost them too much to do it differently and they would have had to charge you for this.

OR

As soon as they get a sniff you are willing to pay more, they just charge you more, still do a dodgy job.

Hats off to all of you who have a bash and do your own work.

Wayne murray and Barry like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Agree ^^^^^

Again......... wish I could weld:(

Or at least had a workshop

4. DakDak67

DakDak67 Active Member

Thanks for the comments, It really is very hard to stay focused after 5 years on and off!

Those wondering if they can do this, sure you can, I'm pretty average at welding panel steel but youtube and other tips have helped a lot, Barry, I've done all this in a small garage under my house, wish I had a shed with a hoist too!

Got the front doors, window frames, parcel tray and OG engine tin back from the blaster, one door has some patching req, over all It's all in very good shape, super happy.

Might fix the doors today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Syncro27, chuck85, David H and 4 others like this.
  5. DakDak67

DakDak67 Active Member

Heaps of small stuff done in the past month, getting that rhs wheel arch flat has taken lots of time with a dolly set and metal files.

The front doors have been rust repaired and are ready for some filler.

I made a big call to do all the body work myself, I've put so much effort into getting the metal flat I'm going to kick on with the body.

I'll be picking up a nice new Boss 3.5hp 330 L/min compressor this week to power my air tools , It'll be able to run them but I'll have to take it easy.

I've got a budget of 17k to get this thing in paint engine built and maybe trim, 2k is gone already on new tools.

A work mate of mine who is an Aircraft painter 30yrs will blow the colour on for me and is supervising my progress, also I'll have Turco chemicals for metal prep etc, really lucky there.

Things are going well and I have the mojo back..... for now.

oldman, melissa, Wayne murray and 4 others like this.
  6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Good call on doing it how you want.
    The bigger compressor will help heaps with the palm sander and spraying.

If you need any powder coating done give Ian, tinbits, a yell. ;)

7. DakDak67

DakDak67 Active Member

Yeh the body won’t be a show winner but it’ll be mine so I’ll live with it .
    The compressor is the biggest on wheels, there is another single phase no wheels but I think it’ll be an arse to store.
    I’ve got an air file and can borrow a fancy 3M vac orbital sander so should be sorted.
    I was thinking of powder coating the engine tin, I quite like the look, will hit up Ian if I need to

cbus likes this.
  8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

You will find the orbital does a good job .
    Air file is probably limited to sills.
    Both can vibrate big flat panels.
    A hand 300-400 narrow sandpaper board is good on flat panels as is the 1/2 sheet block.
    I have same size compressor and need double water traps and hoses to keep moisture under control.

Show ponies are overrated usually but having the body sound and straight in the metal will be worthwhile and satisfying .
    Good working weather finally :)

9. DakDak67

DakDak67 Active Member

Nearly no dust, the wood sander will do for filler, not highbuild, I have a 3M fancy pants sander for the high build primer.
    Cbus, I have a set of Durablocks, went all fancey.
    Love 26C for working in, timed it well!

[​IMG]

melissa, Grantus and cbus like this.
  10. DakDak67

DakDak67 Active Member

Set up finally, 18cfm 326L compressor does the job but works hard. I've added my old 50l tank for some more run time as the air tools are 450l/pm .
    I scored a 3M sander so I'll retire the new Makita early.
    So much bog and sanding done over the past few weeks, It's starting to look good. I've taken lots of photos of bare steel and all stage's of filler work for future reference.
    I'm happy I got the panels to a fairly straight level , It's helped a lot now I'm sanding bog.
    Colour is nearly decided, will be soft colours, planning on some weddings etc when It's finished.
    I need to find a Blue bottom half that'll work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Syncro27, jimbi, BrianK and 7 others like this.
  11. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Nice chis
    Looks a little like Vw marina blue

DakDak67 likes this.
  12. DakDak67

DakDak67 Active Member

Finally finished the underbody, it's done in Upol Gravitex black ,I decided to scrap body colour and go with practicality .

This is the finish. The engine bay will be body colour though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Syncro27 and David H like this.
  13. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Good decision. I did the same thing. My logic was I wanted to drive up dirt roads should the need arise so standard paint was not suitable.
    Looks the goods.

14. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I just went back to the start of this thread and had a good laugh at the very first post

68BUS likes this.
  15. DakDak67

DakDak67 Active Member

Yup.. but it was F$%ked mate

68BUS likes this.
  16. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Don’t worry I know what it’s like. My quick repaint is now 3 years down the track and no end in sight :oops:

Syncro27 and jimbi like this.
  17. DakDak67

DakDak67 Active Member

It’s a big job but the cars are worth it, after all it’s something to keep me out of the pub etc

David H and melissa like this.
  18. DakDak67

DakDak67 Active Member

Prepped my G/box with GIBBS and then painted with Upol Gravitex, love the stuff. Chucked the box and rear suspension in today after slightly notching my spring plates, next job is to fit up the oil cooler above the G/box and start on all the plumbing $$$$$

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grantus, melissa, 68BUS and 2 others like this.