1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1969 Kombi in the Shitbox Rally, for the Cancer Council

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by RedBaron, Jan 17, 2014.

1. RedBaron

RedBaron Member

Hi guys,

I know we all love kombis, and we want to see them do well. I thought I'd write this up to gather some awareness for this years Shitbox Rally and the vehicle we have selected to rally from Perth to Darwin via the Kimberly.

We picked this old girl up from a place outside of Eulo (150kms west of Cunnamulla). We will be doing it up rallying it from the 31st of May. If you would care to donate a few dollars to our rally team, that would be great. Before we can start the rally we must first raise $4000.

Check out the video of our rescue mission:
    [video=youtube;FItIlguKOE0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FItIlguKOE0[/video]

DONATE HERE!

2. terbear

terbear Member

Donated.... who's next :)

3. JayBone

JayBone Member

Great video mate :) - who is the sexy dude with the Yorkshire accent? :)

4. RedBaron

RedBaron Member

If anyone would like to donate some wide 5 wheels with some roadworthy tyres on them, that would help us out a lot.

WISHLIST:

Exhaust System
    Brake Hoses x 4
    Brake Shoes
    Tyres x4 (14")
    Wheels x 4
    Engine seal
    Battery Tray
    Cab floor
    Accelerator pedal linkage
    Accelerator Cable
    Clutch Cable
    Brake Fluid reservoir (Top and Bottom)
    Brake Master Cylinder
    Battery

Clutch Releaser Bearing/ Thrust bearing
    Gearbox?
    Front beam adjuster (for lowering)
    Shock Absorbers

Fuel hose and filter

Ignition leads

5. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Might have a couple of spare front oil shocks for spares of a 71 lowie - probably wont fit but as the 69/70 beam is smaller in height.

Just a quick question - why are you lowering the front when you need to traverse some really nasty bush tracks in this old bus as part of the rally?

Wouldnt it be bnetter to raise the back slightly to level it out? and give you some decent ground clearance.....

6. JayBone

JayBone Member

Hey Scott,

We are setting it up so that we can slam it for the final sealed road section into Darwin :)

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

300km ?

just becausr NT has some stretches of unlimited speed limits doesnt mean the kombi can go fast.
    :p

8. Syncro27

I think Jon wants to plough the muddy dirt roads rather than skate on them like last year.....

Seriously though - with those corrugated roads up that way you will need all the suspension (and spare shocks) you can get your hands on.

A syncro mate of mine went through that area a couple of years ago and went through a full set of OME shocks due to the corrugations.

9. RedBaron

RedBaron Member

Shitbox Kombi Update!!!

Here's where we are up to now.
    Donate: https://shitboxrally2014.everydayhero.com/au/wolf-creek-taxi-co

[video=youtube;HNTS48yqrEs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNTS48yqrEs[/video]

We would really like to thank Lyn and Paul for letting us use their property for the initial restoration weekend. They are the friendliest couple of V-dubbers we have come to know and love. Thanks to the Cornish Mafia

We're still on the lookout for some suitable wide 5's for the Kombi. Anyone got a spare set they no longer want or need?

10. JayBone

JayBone Member

Seconded, Paul and Lynn are awesome! Thanks for your hospitality :heart:

Another Awesome video Lewis!

11. RedBaron

RedBaron Member

It's been a long hard road to restoring this bus on a budget. Jon and I would like to thank everyone who took the time to help out in this process. Without a close knit community like the one we have here, such achievements would never be possible.

Welcome Wolfy
    10294373_10152151156840749_2301533245621724672_n.jpg

We have pulled this bus out of the desert (1000kms west of Brisbane), we have rebuilt petty much everything, and we have already raised $4125 for the Cancer Council. We would like to raise some more money, so if you would like a tax deduction this financial year, please donate HERE!

Videos of our progression can be found on YouTube, just search for 1969 Volkswagen shitbox. I will make another video soon.

12. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

just sent you some money! All the best for the rally, I do not have any spare shock absorbers for you this year :p

13. RedBaron

RedBaron Member

Wolfy

I would like to thank everyone who donated to our rally team, to help us raise the required $4000 for our entry. Without the support of fellow dubbers and charitable hearts the world would be a much darker place. It was the support of this community that fuelled our perseverance on this project. Thank you

The Kombi is now in Perth undergoing it's quarantine inspection (fingers crossed). It was a long hard road to restoration on the minimal budget we had. Having donations from our fellow dubbers made all the difference. I bet you all want to see it running now don't you?

Well here he is... Wolfy

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Tc_BsFrms[/video]

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  14. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Great cause! Would love to be part of it one day. Good luck and God bless ;)

Chrissy.

15. Syncro27

Unfortunately the 69 Wolfe Creek Shitbox of Jon and Lewis is KAPUT.

Motor has died with main bearing and valve issues and due to the long driving time and tight schedules there is not enough time to find a healthy type 1 donk to replace it.

From the first day it was reported to be using heaps of oil - so obviously a significant problem was lurking.

Huge shame - there's always next year!

16. LOWK71

LOWK71 Member

That's a real shame to hear they did not make it to the finish line, I have been following some of the rally posts on YouTube. Looks to be a great event.
    Did this team enter in previous years with a later model kombi? seems to be a kombi in the back ground of some of the clips with taxi written on it.

17. Syncro27

18. RedBaron

RedBaron Member

Thanks Sycro27,

I would have liked to break the news myself, but you are right. The rally's support crew told us we couldn't run it on two cylinders to Darwin due to time restrictions. So we drove him into a freight yard in Broome and he will be coming home.

Our main issue on day one was a crack in the engine case, then all of our seals started leaking. This was likely due to very worn piston rings (which low oil levels did not help) pressurising the engine case. It ran well after some breather modifications, but we decided it was time to kill him after we lost a few cylinders.

Driving along the highway to Perth we hit a small incline. The load was too much for our engine (which we found in a field) and we heard noises. We lost a significant amount of power and the engine became the most impressive fog machine you have ever seen. It was at this moment Jon and I looked at each other and decided not to stop, but to keep going. In a glorious Thelma and Louise moment, we dropped back to third on the highway until it the smoke levels became dangerous to our rally partners. After pulling over, the engine would not start again, and it was trailered to 33km/s outside of Broome. It started later that night and didn't sound too bad. I removed two ignition leads, to find no change in performance. We checked the oil, and there was some. It looked like glitter, and we knew it was time to pack him up and end the rally. It seems a $1000 budget for a rally car doesn't get you far.

Thanks for the support fellow dubbers. I look forward to using a fresh budget of $1000 for the rebuild. A new thread will be posted when we have enough content on the rebuild.

Lewis

19. sacky

sacky Member

Last night 60 minutes had a thing on Drones, it started off on the Shit Box rally a shame there was no Kombi.