1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1970 Type 3 Squareback

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by OSF, Nov 4, 2018.

1. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Introducing "Olive".

I've been looking for a good Type 3 Squareback or a Type 411/412 for some time, and have finally picked up this one. It's a 1970 Type 3 Squareback. The engine is original, the body is in good condition, it's had a respray and the interior has also been redone.

It's for my wife Jo and we do have a few plans for it, but they are mainly cosmetic (at this stage). I've put Venetians in, Roof Racks on and started attacking a few little things that need to be done so I can get it registered in NSW.

The purchase was a bit of a story, but aren't they always.

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg 10.jpg

1970 - 1973 were the last four years of production for the Type 3's and similar to some of the Kombi's, what is and isn't standard for each model is a bit contentious.

Bryfly, TeeBee, Syncro27 and 4 others like this.
  2. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

WOW, what a gem.................lucky b****r

3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Well done:).It does look like a very clean example of a Type 3 station wagon.:cool: Jo will be very happy:D with that and you know have your work cut out for you.;)

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm envious ;) damn that's nice.

How's the front seat adjuster cams :rolleyes: ..... the incline on the back support :confused: ..... expect they could be worn and may need bringing up :eek: ..... nils has I believe 2 seats (2 left and 2 right seat cams - see his 3D printing thread) and selling them to clear stock - no more on the horizon to be ordered :(

OSF likes this.
  5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Wow OSF,
    Jo will be happy with that & now you can balance what each spends on their vehicles & justify to the minister of finance;). Bet the squareback is cheaper:p:) & you are still 'behind the eight ball' !
    Cheers

OSF and Wayne murray like this.
  6. Wayne murray

You should of seen the smile on her face today.:D:D But OSF smile was just as big:D:D

David H likes this.
  7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Now the boys are going to have to choose which old VW to cruise in;). Oh...that's right...Jo's is the only one driveable:p.
    Cheers

OSF and Wayne murray like this.
  8. Wayne murray

We know who is in the driving seat;):p

9. Nozza

Nozza Active Member

I really really want one of those, or similar....
    Write 100 times, I do not need another car, I do not need another car...…..
    Jealous.

TeeBee and David H like this.
  10. KahunaKombi

11. KahunaKombi

12. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Good news.
    Passed my NSW "Blue Slip" (aka. Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Report) today.

I had to sort out a few electrical issues (horn, brake light and number plate lights not working), fix the accelerator linkage (which kept falling off) and sort out the locking of the front seats (which kept flopping forward - not great in a crash).

I finished those jobs yesterday and the mechanic gave it a big tick today.

I should be able to get rego and insurance sorted this week and hopefully I'll be cruising by the weekend.

First cruise will be down to the powder coater, who is coating the roof racks for me.

David H, Syncro27 and Borgey like this.
  13. Borgey

Borgey Well-Known Member

Looks great mate. Glad you got it passed and can now join the cruises and shows in a vw and not that Kia carnival you always bring. Let me know when your down my way and keen for a run.

Poptop likes this.
  14. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

No, No ,No! It's too nice, clean, complete and you want to sell it to ME!
    Oh and awesome pickup! :cool:
    Type 3's have been a bit ignored up until the last few years. Good to see so many coming out of the woodwork.:)

15. Nozza

Nozza Active Member

I'll get in line.....

16. KahunaKombi

Euan, had issue with driver seat not locking in recline position and recline was reclined as far as possible (1 setting only) :( - passenger seat no issue and recline adjustable :) ...... issue was the seat adjuster cams - replaced and driver seat recline adjustable and locking as it should ;)

17. wombatventures

You Need commission Bert. Bet I'm up for another set soon! Might have to use the set for the passenger seat of the Notch that still haven't been fitted!:eek:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  18. KahunaKombi

Nieces husband sends me a link for Elanora - 1967(?) Type3 Square to comment on - ah Matty (Shaven) sold that back in November 2015 :eek: still listed on a UK site ..... $25k :rolleyes: more than budget allocated :oops:

Next comes a 1969 (?) from Vic, on NSW Historic with seller on the Gold Coast - $32.5k :confused: way over budget........ go into appraisal and how R&D with nils on the seat cam adjusters and either of these may in time require them :p

Find one on Gumtree in Vic fro $10k which she is happy with :D price.

Feel like telling her about Doc's Myfanwy as they want a car to travel in and also sleep in when they get back from overseas next year - I could accommodate any of them and keep them running until they return back to Oz ;):):cool:.

19. KahunaKombi

Terry, saw a post on Samba from nils :cool: he's got 2 seats left he wants to clear out :rolleyes::eek: considered grabbing them o_O;)

20. wombatventures

I'll talk to Nils after Xmas if he still has them. It's not as if we don't have the cars to use them on!;):rolleyes: