1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1970 Type 3 Squareback

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by OSF, Nov 4, 2018.

1. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

So I got my rego and insurance all sorted a couple of weeks ago and have been cruising around every second I have had spare since. My roof racks are now powder coated and my son Noah (8) is pretty happy his surfboard fits perfectly up on top and he gets to sit in the front when Mum isn't with us (yeah I know it's supposed to be Jo's car, but that's not going to stop us cruising around in it till I get the DC on the road). I've also ordered a new wooden steering wheel and stainless steel headlight grills (from Aircooled Accessories), which I'll put on as soon as I get them.

One issue I'm currently having however is that it seems to have a bit of trouble starting when it's warm. It starts pretty much first time every time when it's cold, but after a long drive (esp. in warm weather) it struggles a bit to start again. The starter turns over etc, but nothing happens. I can clutch start it aok, but there's not always going to be a hill to park on or flat area to push it along. The engine also seems to getting get pretty hot (hotter than I expected), so I wonder if it might be running a bit warm and potentially causing a few fuel issues? I'll pull the tinware off and give it a good clean and take it someone for a service/tune as soon as I get a chance, though trying to book something in this side of Christmas is proving a bit difficult.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem and what I could/should do to fix it?

Square.jpg

Syncro27 and Grantus like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Being a new car, have you done a FULL tune up?
    Valves and timing?
    Pulled plugs?

If it’s getting warm you could have a vac leak?

What is power like?

Compression even when you turn over by hand?

Also check fuel pump.
    Will it start with a dash of fuel down the throat when hot?

3. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Yeah it does need a good going over by someone who knows what they are doing. I replaced the fuel lines straight up as they were leaking, but it's been generally going so well I have to admit I've just been enjoying it and kinda neglected getting it so someone.

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Don't know where the oil cooler is on type3 engine but Kombi type 4 engine sometimes have prob with grunge build up on cooler.

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Not too much tinware on the Type3 engine - picture of engine in your 1st post shows things look pretty dry.

Ok so check your bellow - the big rubber boot at the front of the engine ...... needs to be in good condition for the cooling to work properly.
    Check the seal on the cover of the fan belt housing - if none or stuffed then you can get some rubber from Clarke Rubber that'll do the job - I'll see if I can find the receipt and give you details ...... it's an easy fix but worth it. You have to minimise the cooling fan from sucking hot air from the engine - even the plug for the timing check hole.

Pulling the plugs on the Type3 is a bastard of a job :confused:

Carbies may need kit put through them :rolleyes:

Check oil bath air filter ..... clean and put in new oil if there is dirt in it ;)

OSF likes this.
  6. KahunaKombi

Further thought :eek:

Ok so on start up Pete Walshe advised me to -

COLD ...... one full pump on accelerator to floor then about 3/4 then turn key
    WARM/HOT ...... if it won't fire then foot flat to the floor on accelerator and try.

Type3 not renowned for being the easiest beast to start and tame ...... I'd also expect ambient temp has something to do with it as well :rolleyes: so what may work in Qld may require adjustment in NSW and then southernerer states also:confused:

7. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Definitely check your fuel pump. Lines get warm after engine has been running and can make for a poor fuel delivery if the pump is worn and the fuel is hot.
    I had similar problems with the Notch and once the timing had been set properly, tappets adjusted and carbs balanced and tuned she ran beautifully and the warm start issues ceased.
    Also check that the balance tubes between the carbs have no leaks and that the seal between the carbs and he manifold aren't leaking.
    A good time to check the plugs is when you take the carb off to replace the manifold to carb gasket, makes access heaps easier.

8. KahunaKombi

Comparison with another engine not a bad thing to be able to do -

Yours .....

[​IMG]

Paddy's .....

[​IMG]

OSF likes this.
  9. KahunaKombi

OSF likes this.
  10. KahunaKombi

Need a wiring diagram for a 1970 :D

[​IMG]

OSF likes this.
  11. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

12. KahunaKombi

Yeah ;) ...... thought you'd find it handy.

I used it to get part numbers and then checked if Mick Motors up here or Vintage Vee Dub Supplies had it - sometimes the part number is more like a Beetles but they work ...... if price here ridiculous and I could wait for the rarer parts I was after then I ordered from them - ISP have an agent in the UK (ebay shop Notch1500) but found somethings from him cheaper as was postage :D

13. KahunaKombi

Ok, so for the cover on the cooling housing (you have the tappet setting sticker on it) the seal I used was similar to this https://www.clarkrubber.com.au/high-density-closed-cell-epdm-sponge-7-5mm .... am not sure if they have a smaller dia one ...... can't find the receipt :(
    It fitted in the groove nicely without the need to glue it in place ;) just a bit fiddly to get it to stay = lay it in with stretching it :D

14. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

I'll have a look at it. I note the rubber plug down on the right hand side of my cooling housing doesn't really plug the hole. I'm not sure if it's the fault of the plug or the hole, so I'll have a closer look at all of this when I am there.

15. KahunaKombi

Timing Hole Plug - will be old and hard (I expect) ..... the hole will not be symmetric/perfectly round BUT you may be able to even it up - ISP had them when I needed a "fresh" one - I did get one from Les (Grumble) but it was a bit tired so was added to a shopping list along with rear tail light seals, VW Pedal Rubbers & front seat runners ;)

OSF likes this.
  16. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Might as well get into the spirit of things if we are going to go and look at a few Christmas Lights.

20181215_204749 (1024x498).jpg

Borgey, David H, Wayne murray and 6 others like this.
  17. KahunaKombi

Won't show the Mrs ;) as she may get ideas about decorating one of ours when we go out later in the week :eek:

OSF likes this.
  18. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

That's cool. Left ours home. Just sups and an awning on the falcon roof.:):cool:

19. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Put my Headlight Grills from AAC on today.

20181223_135900 (498x1024).jpg

20181223_135931 (498x1024).jpg

20181223_143428 (498x1024).jpg

20181223_144757 (1024x498).jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2018
  20. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

And a new Steering Wheel.
    20181223_180759 (622x1280).jpg

KahunaKombi, Grantus, David H and 2 others like this.