1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1970 Type 3 Squareback

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by OSF, Nov 4, 2018.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Those nanny white walls look great:cool:;):)

2. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

No you don't Nozza! Once you have a Type 3 then you have enough cars .......
    Until someone offers you another one... or 2 .... or 3... or.....
    Well at least I have spares! :rolleyes:;)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  3. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Took the Squareback for a service the other week and subsequently got the mechanic to replace the old 009 distributer with a Petronics one. I've heard good and bad things about Petronics over time and it's early days yet, but I got to say, it's starting and driving heaps better now. The new dizzy was dropped in a couple of weeks after the service and whilst the service itself lifted performance, there was a further increase with the new dizzy.

The Old
    20190703_114251 L.jpg

20190703_114332 L.jpg

The New
    Petronics.jpg

I didn't tell the mechanic to replace the leads and coil as well (as I stupidly just assumed he would do this), but I can do this myself when I get a sec and it's currently running well, so I might just leave it as it is for now.

Also, my new dizzy doesn't have the vacuum advance so I initially assumed it was the wrong one, but apparently not? A bit of reading tells me you don't need the petronics dizzy with the vacuum advance to replace the original 009 dizzy. I'm no mechanic (obviously) and the new dizzy seems to be working really well (the old vacuum tube is blocked off), so all seems right, but I'm happy for further comment or anyone's thoughts/knowledge/experience in regard to this as it's all good learning for me.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    KahunaKombi likes this.
  4. KahunaKombi

Some mechanics take the instructions to do something to a "T" :cool: ..... they no doubt have been abused in the past for replacing something they weren't asked to :eek: & customer got bill shock :eek:
    Was going to comment on those lead caps but you beat me to it ;) ..... try to get some better quality ones than the basic VW shop ones :)

5. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Yeah. When I told the mechanic to change over to a Petronics set up (which he recommended) and go ahead and order it, I assumed he'd buy it in a kit (I.e. dizzy, leads, coil), but he just ordered the dizzy. He is an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda guy and he certainly has been burnt before, so I should have realised this and been more specific up front. Bit frustrating though as my default preference is "do it once, do it right". But it is what it is and a set of leads won't take long to swap over.

David H likes this.
  6. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

be aware type 3 leads are slightly longer than most type 1 leads sold and should have 90 degree ends at the distributor cap.

7. KahunaKombi

As Kai has mentioned ..... as Paddy's engine was built by Vintage VeeDub Supplies they'd be the place to look ...... seen them @ Mick Motors also -

Paddy Jan18 (3).JPG

8. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip guys.
    This on one of those stupidly obvious details that wouldn't actually be obvious to me till after I had purchased the wrong ones.
    Gives me an excuse to try an swing by VVDS tomorrow. It has been a week since I was there and I was starting to get withdrawals anyway.

Grantus, Poptop, chris taylor and 4 others like this.
  9. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Overfilled my petrol tank the other day and petrol started pouring out from under the front of the front passenger side wheel arch. Freaked me out a bit at first, but I worked out what was going on once I was back home and had the opportunity to inspect it all a bit more closely. Petrol was overflowing through the petrol tank ventilation system. There's a hose that runs from the top of the tank to the top of the fuel filler hose, and there's a smaller hose that comes off this and makes it's way across the vehicle and down into the front of the passenger side wheel arch. I think there is supposed to be some kind of charcoal filter on the end of this, but I got no idea at this point what this even looks like, let alone where I can get a replacement.

Working through all of this I found my ventilation hoses weren't actually in the best condition, so I took the opportunity and replaced them all.

20190706_144904 L.jpg

The rubber collar around the top of my fuel filler hose was also perished with rips in it, so another trip to VVDS for a new one and I replaced this as well.

Before
    20190706_142427 L.jpg

20190706_144150 L.jpg

After
    20190706_144532 L.jpg

20190706_142832 L.jpg

My mechanical skills are pretty limited, but I do love it that fixing all these little issues with my VWs forces me to learn things I previously had no idea about. Still a long long way to go before I'll be doing any significant mechanical work myself, but I am keen to learn and I'm loving the ride.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Slowly Slowly be the way OFS;). And you don't have to do it all yourself! Just find a mechanic whom speaks & understands your 'language':cool: & what you want:p.
    Always learn the vehicle;):). & where it's at:cool:.

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    TeeBee and micklyan like this.
  11. KahunaKombi

OSF likes this.
  12. KahunaKombi

OSF likes this.
  13. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Wheeler Dealers are doing. Type 3 Fastback record it you’ll like it!

OSF likes this.
  14. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

8E37FAF7-C52A-49E8-BD8C-1363A4672FF5.jpeg Get those rear torsion bar adjusters at that price and what looked to me straight forward, the look is awesome!

15. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

I think it's time to upgrade Olive's exhaust. She's a stylish lady, so I'm planning to get rid of her current exhaust and put a Vintage Speed one on. I note the mods Bert made on Paddy and these make sense to me, but I'm not sure who I can get locally to do the welding/fitting for me. Borris at VVDS had a role in the design of the VS Type Exhaust and he's not too far away, so I'll start off with picking up an exhaust from him and having a chat about it.

Here's the exhaust on Olive at the moment.
    EMPI Exhaust.jpg

This is the VS exhaust I'm intending to put on.
    VS Exhaust.jpg

16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Most exhaust places would do it....... maybe.

Luckily I had a mate with a welder who liked playing “VW modified” when I did mine.

Westy @ Westside Mufflers does a lot of VW mods.

https://m.facebook.com/westside.muf/

17. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

The flange kit is the single best upgrade you can do to a VW

18. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Thanks Barry. Padstow isn't far from me either, so Westy might be the go.

19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

He does sh!t hit work.

Done most of Steve Carters turbo exhaust work

20. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Do you mean “hot”? o_O

Wayne murray likes this.