1972 Dormobile Interior Resto / Build

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Harribo, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Harribo

Harribo Member

Hi All,

Picked up my 1972 Dormobile a month or so ago with the view to using it for weekends away with my wife and daughter.

Its currently a 2 seater but the plan is to install a kustom kombi rock n roll bed (delivered a couple of weeks ago) and get it re-registered as a 4 seater. i've had some new cabinets delivered from Kombi cabinets on the gold coast which are amazing so i just need to build it all now!!

There's no interior at present in the rear and the front seats are in desperate need of recovering. I also need new door cards throughout, flooring etc... headliner is in good condition though as is the pop top and paint work in general.

Please feel free to offer advice and pointers as i'm pretty new to all this!!

So plan is;

New kick boards
    New cab carpet
    Paint dash
    New door cards (DiY upholstery for now until funds are replenished!)
    Recover front seats
    New flooring in rear (after the floorpan has been painted)
    New curtains (have the OG ones so will be good to use for templates)
    New rock n roll bed (2/3 width but will be a full size bed with the cabinets I have)
    New cabinets
    New dual battery setup
    New Radio / i pod connection
    Hidden flat screen under buddy seat

So lets get started......

Here she is in all her pop top glory (named Jennifer as my wife googled the most popular girls name in the UK in 1972)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the rear floor pan, looks solid, the odd spot of surface rust but nothing that a bit of penetrol won't sort out!!

[​IMG]

Front passenger seat held in by two tek screws

[​IMG]

2. Harribo

Harribo Member

rest of interior, complete with butchered dash

[​IMG]

So, I removed the cab mat and front passenger seat, tek screws weren't even tight!! And this is what I found....

[​IMG]

Covered in black paint but really solid

Under the seat

[​IMG]

Came up fine after a quick clean but I'm going to repaint under the seats, also have carpet for this area so not too bothered with a top notch paint job under here.

Walkthrough area

[​IMG]

3. Harribo

Harribo Member

Test fittted the new JK cab carpets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Previous owner had butchered the dash to fit an old stereo so I had a brain wave and bought an original volkswagen mark 4 golf radio, only because it says volkswagen on it and lights up red like the kombi!

My old man is making me an ali blanking plate to go round it and hide some of the previous owners handi work.

[​IMG]

Still needs fitting and wiring in. Anyone know where I can take it in Adelaide to get it wired? I have the plug for the back just need the wires connecting.

So thats it for tonight, just a couple of questions....

Anyone know what these brackets are? They fold away but I can't figure out what they are for!

[​IMG]

How can i effectively secure the dormobile top from the inside? It has the brackets on the outside for the hold down toggles but the holes on the body were filled when it was resprayed and i don't want to re-drill the body so would like to secure it from the inside. It has the leather straps but its not tight and I'd like something more substantial!

I've ordered some new door cards from Classic Vee Dub and I wanto screw them on rather than clip but the holes in the body look massive, anyone know how I overcome this? Do I buy the bungs for the holes then screw into these??

Tomorrow nights plan is to paint the floor and inside of the sliding door, as it will be covered up i'm going to hit it with a coat of white gloss kill rust! (Can't afford to get it painted professional but it won't be seen anway!)

Thats all for now!

Cheers

John

4. samhutch

samhutch New Member

image.jpg

G'day John

I've attached a photo of the latch i use in my 72 lowlight dormobile to hold the roof down from the inside

Hope that helps

Sam

5. Harribo

Harribo Member

Hi Sam, thats similar to mine but mine is leather and clips on to a buckle but its not very tight.

Where did you get yours from?

6. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Wow that dash is fairly butchered...the rest looks really good though.

Whats the story with your brake fluid reservior?

It should be located behind the drivers seat.

Where it is at the moment was the very early low-light spot ie 68 - 70. From 71 - 73 they relocated the reservior to the bulkhead behind the drivers seat.

They would have needed to re-route the brake fluid line to the tank above the brake booster. I would check it isnt kinked around the lower front panel.

Otherwise it looks like a great base for a nice camper interior.

Camec (google them) sell heaps of camper bits and would have the interior hold down straps/ fittings you need.

Cheers,

7. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Forgot to ask...whats the "Hyper Sonic" thing on top of the dash?

8. Harribo

Harribo Member

Yeah they did a real hatchet job on the dash! Hopefully the panel my dad is making me should cover some of it up which will do for now but I will get a new one fitted when the funds allow!

Thanks for the info on the Brake fluid reservoir, i've no idea why it is where it is. Is it going to be an issue? I'll check for kinks tonight but the brakes seem to be working ok although i've nothing to compare them to! GHR Motors never mentioned anything when they test drove it so i'm assuming they also think the brakes are ok.

Another question, I want to screw the door cards on with some nice stainless capped screws, i'm thinking i'll need to use self tappers in new holes as the exisiting holes in the door seem way to big to take a screw?

Cheers

The hyper-sonic thing is a coffee cup holder, put there by the previous owner. Luckily its only stuck on with a couple of sticky tabes so will be coming off very soon. I have a centre console from a Kia Rio that I plan to install that folds down. Don't worry it looks better than it sounds!

9. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

For screwing your cards on there are doodads available that will slide over the tabs in the body work and take a self tapper. Just can't think of what they are called - hardware shops should have them. If see one ill post a picture.

10. Harribo

Harribo Member

That would be great if you could do that, done really want to start drilling new holes if I can help it!

11. samhutch

samhutch New Member

My clips were on there when i bought it,
    but i dare say you'd pick the device up from bunnings,
    the strap used on mine bites down well with the clip and holds the roof down no worries,
    one at the front one at the back

12. Harribo

Harribo Member

So i've just started to think about installing my kustom kombi rock n roll bed and i think i've run into a major problem!

As my Kombi was imported from the UK way back when it was fitted with an additional belly pan underneath the floor. This pan is fixed to the underside of the chassis cross members so if i drill through the floor to attach the legs of the r n r bed I wont be able to reach the nut as obviously the belly pan will be in the way. So, do I;

1) Use a longer bolt? The belly pan doesn't seem as thick as the actual floor itself so not sure how structurally sound this would be

2) Cut a hole in the belly pan to allow access to the underside of the floor then have it welded up later once the bed is in and signed off by the friendly compliance man!

Anyone out the that can help me with the above or an alternative solution??

[​IMG]

Cheers

John

13. Dor Matt

Dor Matt Active Member

Hey John, nice looking Dormy you've got there, I can enlighten you on a couple of things. Firstly those brackets actually used to support a shelf above the sink unit. If you look up my first thread when I showed mine off there will be pics. As for the brake fluid reservoir, for some crazy reason in the UK the brake booster was not made standard when the disc brakes came in, and dormobile didn't tick the box. Therefore the reservoir and brake circuit is the same as the 68-70 drum braked models. If you can drive a boosted Aussie model you'll be amazed at how much easier it is to stop.

Anyways all the best with the fit out. Sometimes I wish I had a stripped out van to start with, I can't mess with what I've got, too original it would be sacrilege.

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Any bolts securing seat will need to have a plate of 3mm thick steel and 4sq inches in area between the floor and nut.
    Check these specs with Jamie as they may be out of date but as such indicate that you have to bolt through floor only .
    are the belly pans easily removed ?

15. Harribo

Harribo Member

Hi Matt,

I just saw the shelf on your pics so thanks for solving that!

Plan is to get a brake booster fitted when funds allow although it is high on the priority list especially when we start transporting our daughter in it.

PS my wife loves the interior in yours!

16. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Called speed clips amongst other things.

17. Harribo

Harribo Member

Hi Cbus, no they aren't easily removed they are welded on.

Plan is to drill a hole in the belly pan directly under the floor mounting point large enough to fit the correct size socket head so I can install the bed. I'll use a big washer that will be welded to the underside of the floor then weld the nut to the washer so the bed can be easily removed in the future. When its all done and signed off i'll get the access holes in the belly pan welded up.

Fingers crossed but it should work

18. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

You might find nut serts will be the ideal way to secure the bed, these can be installed in blind locations.

19. Harribo

Harribo Member

I'll have to google those!

20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

usefull item but wont allow for plating and dont think they would pass for load.