1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1972 Type3 Fastback

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by KahunaKombi, Apr 21, 2016.

1. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Awesome ride Bert.
    There's a definite coolness about Type 3's.

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I believe you are a huge fan of the late T3's....;)

Berts Type 3 is nice too. :)

3. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

VW definitions can be confusing.. Type 1,2,3 and T1,2,3 etc As well as engine type 1, type 4. And then there's barndoor/cargo door..
    Confusion for the uninitiated!!

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

So on the 1st page I mentioned a Special Sticker for oldman .... yesterday took a better one so here it is :

DSC00909.JPG

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    grumble likes this.
  5. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Missed that first time 'round Bert......nice :cool:
    Cheers,
    Mark

7. KahunaKombi

Let's not forget type 2 engine also - old skool mechanics see the 1700/1800/2000 as Type 2 not type 4 - others see the Type 4 as with upright dog housing just adds to confusion :eek: :rolleyes: :confused: :p

8. KahunaKombi

All ok Mark, plenty to read through & not to mention put it all together :eek:

9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

"3gor " has a nice, historical but updated ring to it....:rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

Aspro likes this.
  10. KahunaKombi

Could still be pronounced Egor seeing some out there refer to the Type3 as a TypeE interpreting the 3 as a back to front E ?????? Mick @ Mick Motors had a chuckle about it with me the other day ..... richard craniums but not what Mick called them :confused:

Had people pronounce Igor as eye-gor :( had they listened to me on the spelling and how it was pronounced they would have got Igor .... Egor (I pronounced as an E) they should watch Hotel Transylvania bleh bleh bleh :confused:

11. KahunaKombi

After further consideration and keeping it simple have decided "Paddy" will be his name :D 1st one that sprang to mind on the 1st leg of the trip home, other appropriate names suggested but don't want to go confusing him ;)

wenmac likes this.
  12. Alpal

Paddy it is! Diddly dee potato's!

13. KahunaKombi

Made me think ..... Potcheen ...... Anyone tried it :rolleyes: I did many years ago ;) brought in by an Irish Lassy as holy water :eek: oh yeah :confused:

14. KahunaKombi

Wood Rim Steering Wheel back on -

DSC00918.JPG

Driver's side door mirror was more likely from an early model Type3 and you couldn't see much so a trip to Mick Motors to get a bigger replacement and also one dor passenger door as only the plug in there .... so nice to be able to see what's coming up on you -

DSC00916.JPG

DSC00917.JPG

prone and Syncro27 like this.
  15. KahunaKombi

28th May - Paddy got his new shocks front and rear fitted and new front bump and rebound stops fitted also - handling much nicer .... Took some pics and will post tomorrow when download/upload/download done :p

No surprises as knew who ever did last suspension work knew Jack Scheitt as just from looking I could see that they had put top rebound stops on the bottom (they're a much smaller size) facing the bottom torsion arm and the larger bump stops from the bottom they had cut and put facing the top top = some people are idiots and you can't fix stupid :eek:.

While rear wheels off checked wheel cylinder on RHS and confirmed that it was weeping o_O so a new pair/set to be installed .... Once again not a surprise .... All part of knowing and understanding how things on these vintage vehicles should work :)

16. KahunaKombi

So here's some pictures -

What answered one question and prompted action ..... upper rebound stop is on the lower bump stop and lower bump stomp is "cut :confused::mad:" and where the shorter rebound stop should be + shocks age unknown :

DSC00912.JPG

Here's the new v old bump stops - top left was cut and fitted to top where is was a bottom bump stop as is new one on bottom left - top right is a rebound stop that should be on the top but was on the bottom acting as bump stop and damaged with new rebound on the bottom right ...... now correctly fitted :

DSC00922.JPG

Old front shocks and new one (both replaced) - rubber grommets were hard as and cracked and the front right sleeve had grown a bolt of it (rusted on but extracted with some 3 in 1 and gentle persuasion) ..... oh and little resistance so no wonder it rode like it did :

DSC00923.JPG

Rear old and new .... olds were "weeping" so minimal $$$$ outlaid to make sure all 4 corners were safe with new ones :

DSC00925.JPG

(Getting too old to lay on concrete and do this sort of work BUT had a great time doing it and entertaining older friend who served up a bit also :D :p)

17. Alpal

Getting down is OK but for me a bit of a challenge getting vertical!

18. KahunaKombi

A few weeks back Paddy went into Custom VeeDub for a few things to get sorted like adjust rear torsion bars to get the ride more level, replace rear wheel cylinders (I thought brake shoes looked ok but brake fluuid had stuffed them and also because larger wheel cylinders had been installed they had worn faster ..... Mick @ Mick Motors said this would more than likely be the case if they used 15/16"cylinders rather than correct 7/8" ones but no idea why this happens) so new rear brake shoes put on & drums machined to be round again, then the next point of failure falied - the master cylinder = expected in a way as looked old if not original.

Other things were - check timing (out too buggery so adjusted), tappets (loose as so adjusted) and sync carbs ... left all ok but right had issues so re-furb kit put through = now running nicely. Feel now a new set of plugs won't do any harm as no idea how long currect ones have been inserted for so a set of NGK's awaiting install.

Great service from Pete & Clyde ...... wouldn't release Paddy back to me until they were 100% satisfied he was running and as I said to them anything they identified came as no surprise and I preferred to put him in once and not have to return a couple of more times.

19. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Great looking VW Bert

20. KahunaKombi

That you Steve ? long time no see .... new name also :confused: had me guessing