1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1972 Type3 Fastback

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by KahunaKombi, Apr 21, 2016.

1. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Hello Bert...yes mate, i thought I'd pop back in and have a look around. Also a name change and fresh start.
    You're looking well :)

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Smooth talker :rolleyes: oh that's the car you're referring to :D
    Very happy with him and he sure gets plenty of looks :cool:

3. KahunaKombi

Got a set of lower sill trim clips from ISPWEST so I can now secure the drivers side better than what it is with the plastic delapidated original ones o_O that'll just about finish what I thought would bring him up to my standard :rolleyes:.
    Decision still to be made if to lash out on a KLM speedo or one with trip meter and repalcement fuel/warning light gauge - Euro style as intended for that time but thanks to local content laws VDO changed the design for the Aussie built ones :confused:. A tacho would also be of more use than the clock ;)

4. KahunaKombi

Wet arvo yesterday so thought time to attack the drivers side lower sill trim to secure it better. Had acquired some plastic trim removal tools to hopefully make life easier and restrict any possibly damage removing the trim.
    There are supposed to be 7 trim clips but was aware a couple were dodgy ...... here's a picture of the 3 1/2 no name ones (white), an original 311.853.587.B (black) and the oem replacement metal one -

DSC00930.JPG

Maybe a better picture of original hard plasctic against replacement metal which seems easier to insert in the original clip hole and also remove.

DSC00931.JPG

Trim now on securely with 7 clips ...... checked LHS but it's on securely and could only see 1 suspect clip so for the present will not try to fix something not broken and keep the 7 clips for that side as spares.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  5. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Resnort and KahunaKombi like this.
  6. KahunaKombi

Nice Les ;) ..... I've been lucky so far :p no failure as found probable problems and fixed them = find something then fix it DON'T let it get to the point of failure unlike many who put things off and this my 2nd Type3 or is it 3rd ????:rolleyes:

7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Preventative maintenance on old Dubs is the key, and you've proven to be as diligent as necessary Bert.

Look around the forums at ones having minor or major issues, and 90% of the time it's been lack of maintenance by the owner, or previous owners.....:(

8. KahunaKombi

A lack of knowledge about the intricacies of these pre 1991 cars by owners who buy is a contributing factor ..... It's cool I want one but have no real idea about it.

9. KahunaKombi

Fitted a new seal to the cover on the air intake shroud on the weekend so took a picture of the engine bay .....

DSC00966.JPG

Resnort likes this.
  10. KahunaKombi

Sunday went for a drive down to the Cruising Yacht Club and Sandgate Golf Club so a couple of snaps ....

DSC00967.JPG

DSC00968.JPG

DSC00970.JPG

grumble and Resnort like this.
  11. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Got to love a nice type 3!! You have a great looking example.

The second inlet to the air cleaner (thermostat controlled) originally had a hose down to the exhaust to draw hot air when cold (not a bit deal in QLD). I can't quite see it, but originally the dual solex's had idle jet solenoids. Type 3's can sometimes run on a bit when hot/summer. I've never had this issue in the beetle, but have noticed it in the type 3.
    Keep an eye on the rear strut towers (in engine bay), they are prone to cracking.
    Reading your earlier posts, yes it's hard to get correct typ3 mirrors for some reason!

Enjoy the ride, type 3's are great fun!

12. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

totally agree
    very tidy

13. KahunaKombi

Paddy made some friends today ...... 2 Notch's and another Fastback (he was the youngest) -

DSC00985.jpg

Resnort, Aspro and Elsie 76 like this.
  14. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Our Notch doesn't have that hose either Andy. Can't see it in the Gregory's manual either.
    I know the inlet on the bottom of the air pre-heater control, where would the hose go to?

15. wombatventures

Is that the air intake for cooling seal or the small connector from the pre-heater control to the air cleaner Bert?
    What is the rod with the spring on it running parallel to the air intake? we don't have one.

16. KahunaKombi

Seal I did fit was on the left carbie air intake where it joins the right. This is a larger size for more coverage and a more snug fit as no clamps to seal off BUT I have sourced an original seal and clamps & will fit when recevied along with the plug for the timing inspection hole ...... that'll make all seals, clamps & plugs in place.

The hose to the exhaust is not there as it is not an original exhaust but a TriMil Stainless Steel Over the Top sport system (and for sale as I've decided to return it to an original styled one).

As for the rod with the spring may have something to do with the thermostat control BUT I've no real idea and my Gregory's Type3 Service Manual does not mention anything about it and the illustration shows a different style air cleaner :eek:

17. wombatventures

I know the one Bert, Mines a bit ordinary as well. Where are you getting the replacement from?
    Our exhaust looks like the original or original style.
    What dissy are you running?
    I believe that the Notch used to be owned by one of the guys at Das Resto. He mentioned it when we were talking parts one time.

18. KahunaKombi

Replacement do you mean exhaust ?????? if so then looked @ the Vintage Speed Type 3 - on line shop (http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/sc.12/category.1913/it.C/.f) from Taiwan it's USD445.00 + USD 98.00 = USD 543.00 so about AUD 725.00. Vintage VeeDub Supplies in Campsie NSW have quoted me $725 + $72.50 GST = $797.50 + overnight delivery of $38.00 for $835.50 which may be the way I go purely for being easier (hopefully) to deal with any issues should they arise AND don't know what the exchange rate will be - here's a pic of it - connects up to heater pipes and was featured in VWMA Issue #42 Page 80 Type3 Corner.

[​IMG]

Dizzy unsure of but has electronic ignition system so no points or condensor - works nicely and mechanic gave it the tick of approval.

19. KahunaKombi

20. Bert, have only just seen this, beautiful looking fastback, well done:cool: