Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Grazza7755, Jun 30, 2020.
All that in two months. Wow you don't mess about. Pity we didnt live closer, I would be rolling around my kombi for you to work on in a flash . Great job.
Front and rear bumpers were rough and untidy.
Budget restraints prevented new ones so a bit of TLC went into each.
Had to make sections to repair rust holes.
It came with a low light front and later rear, and is leaving with the same.
Forgot before shots of the untidy rusty 16oo engine.
Wasn't really part of the brief but couldn't bear to reinstall it the way it was.
So, tinware off, pressure clean, sand, prime and 2 pac black.
Engine mounts original. at a guess, so new ones installed
Old cracked wheel repaired and painted 2 pac black.
New shockies and steering damper as they were all stuffed.
Bolts and sleeves seized at both ends, but no match for an ozy torch to heat and release.
We put the glass in this morning except for new windscreen arriving next Wednesday.
Put in engine and gearbox this afternoon.
It's taking shape.
By the way, I chose VW Lotus white as the final colour.
Fantastic thread Graham!
Thanks heaps for sharing........ a thoroughly enjoyable read.
And only Lotus White, (no two tone “V” on the front), even better!
Looks sensational - the Owner should be extremely happy.
Love the colour choice too - my 69 is the same colour.
Old rims were too rusty to reuse so used some of my spares.
Fresh silver paint and new 6 ply tyres.
Still have a lot of fiddly things to do.
Instrument cluster, glove box, front door assemblies, mirrors, front seats etc
Next week for them.
The missus is taking me away for a few days break tomorrow.
I get a year older this week.
A newish rum distillery north of us in NSW.
Happy Birthday Graham & thanks so much for sharing what you do to save these buses.
Have a great weekend. I have resource around nacelle/instrument cluster stuff if needed.
She looks fantastic.
Yep that's it. It's decodable.
Wow, that's incredible!
I'd read the first few posts a day or two ago, came back to see where it is now and thought I'd got the wrong thread... surely that can't be the same bus? Well, blow me down with a feather, I'm impressed!
'72 model chassis number 2086919
992651 = Pastel White Westfalia Dark Beige Leatherette
P32 = Additional Tent
106 = Special cloth interior (?)
518 = Reinforced Hole in the roof (Westfalia)
51 2 7453 = Manufactured 51st week of 1971 2nd day number 7453 off the line
TE = European Tourist Delivery (same as mine)
2349 = Kombi, RHD, Campmobile
11 = 1600 engine, manual transmission
Or there abouts!
Well OK, thanks Wirrah.
I'll pass this on to the owner for the record.
@Grazza7755 does this for so many buses. If you've got a bus that needs some love send it to Grazza.
Hey Grazza ...do you do any rust proofing on all that new metal that you put in?
Love your work.
Yes, sure do.
Just forgot to mention it.
I spent hours fishoiling it from every direction on the hoist.
I blast it in every hole until it is running out from somewhere else.
All grommets come out first and then replaced.
All around the roof inside whilst hoodlining is out.
There are 4 grommets on the inside of the rear wheel guards that provide access to area between the inner and outer rear guard.
This is a common area where rust occurs.
The whole process is thing that I strangely enjoy even though one ends up covered with fish oil spray and smelly.
I guess it relays to me that the whole job is nearing an end after all the welding, rubbing and spraying.
I've just looked up where Palmers Island NSW is for that very reason! And it's only a couple of hours south of us on the Goldie, so when the time comes for a spruce up, that'll be the go!
To find some shiny metal must have be cause for celebration
Would have been nice to see the original style lowlight indicators back on ..... just my observation and opinion after the outstanding work you've done
Thanks for posting grazza, really enjoyed this
Separate names with a comma.