1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1974 kombi restoration

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Dean Mitropoulos, Nov 13, 2021.

1. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Your up for $100 to $150 per hour, just saying

2. Dean Mitropoulos

Dean Mitropoulos Member

I am in no rush to get it done however I do want it done eventually. My issue is I cannot and don't fell comfortable doing the front end as it needs to line up perfectly. The Guy at the kombinator said maybe around 100H to do the front. At $120 Per Hour it will cost me $12,000

3. Dean Mitropoulos

Dean Mitropoulos Member

How many hours In your opinion so I'm prepared.

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

A mate took a beetle to Taylor and Botham.
    From the quality of their work and the quote I saw, it will be more than $12k

100hrs seems reasonable?
    I would spend more than that time just sitting and staring.

That is 12 days.

doing it yourself- triple it?
    36 days.
    40 days is 20 weekends.

call it a year if you ain’t working every weekend.

The other option is to put the $12k towards a more solid shell.
    You have a all the running gear.
    You now know where to look for rust.

KahunaKombi likes this.
  5. Dean Mitropoulos

Dean Mitropoulos Member

Probably better to get them to do the front as then I know it is done right. If i get a good shell it will still have rust. Would you say it would be better to see if some panel beater could do it on the weekends with me to save money? So you think it will take 100H just to do the front or most of the whole kombi body work?

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Sorry - I have no idea how long it would take.
    Panel beating is not one of my skills.
    More a spanner man.
    Just going off all the resto threads I have read and seen how long it takes.

7. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

ouch $12k for starters? - from what I can see in the pics you've left enough of the structural components there for it to all still be square (any more and I would have preferred to see some bracing) - so just go for it yourself ... one step as a time ...

what is it about the front that bothers you? 'A' pillar alignment? gap for door needs to be right ... gap for windscreen as well

do you have the front panel, door and windscreen? you can temporarily put all these in (tack weld, pop rivet, tek screw, gaffa tape, simple braces) and that'll give you the pillar position - tack it in.

8. Dean Mitropoulos

Dean Mitropoulos Member

I don't know I have just been tired and want to get it done properly as the guy said to me I wont be able to achieve this at home on my own. Just so you know the a pillar is out and only clamped it. I fell like i have lost confidence. Would it be better if I get a fabricator/ rust repairer who is willing to come to my garage to give me some help better as opposed to dropping it off at the restorer work shop. I know how panels should look and how to go together however I just need the preparation to be done properly. as you can see I have fabricated some of the metal for the roof on my own. What bothers me is for the panels to be welded correctly to not rust at the welds with the correct primer and preparation. Door gaps and windscreen gaps will be nice but there is not enough play so if they are not close the windscreen or door wont fit. Anyway, what is your opinion on the complexity and time and money this should cost. front 100H and side sills, track and threshold 80H? does not seem right. You seem local so what do you think?

9. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Dean, that's why I said to dummy in the door and windscreen to get the correct placement for the 'a' pillar.

I'm no good at estimating time, I just do stuff when I feel like it...others have already provided advice on primers etc on previous posts. TAFE probably do a 4 weekend course near you. Instructor may even be keen to give some after hours assistance. Once you get your mig making that sizzling bacon sound it'll all be good

David H likes this.
  10. Dean Mitropoulos

Dean Mitropoulos Member

I will do so I do appreciate the advice,

11. Dean Mitropoulos

Dean Mitropoulos Member

I may as well do it my self and get it done. 100H $12K that is 3.5 weeks to do the front, rubbish.That guy will be ripping me off.

12. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Keep in mind, an estimate is just that……an estimate.
    Unless the bus is in front of the ‘beater, the estimate on hours will always be high…..no one wants to tell their client that it took longer than first thought. “Maybe 100 hours” could actually be a lot less……..
    A fixed price quote is another thing all together.
    Many people have unrealistic expectations of the true time it takes to restore a bus properly.
    Take a look at the Resto threads and see how many thousands of hours some members have poured into their buses themselves
    You now have some understanding of the amount of work involved and still have a very long way to go.
    Panel beaters do not have X-ray vision and you have a 40 year old + vehicle in less than ideal condition.
    Taking on other people’s problems is never going to be cheap and any reputable ‘beater does not want the call backs to fix rushed work just to bring under a price that the client thinks is right.
    …..and once the welding is finished, you’ll need to prep. and paint…….that is very time costly as well if you want it done properly.
    You’ve jumped in, boots and all to restore an old vehicle.
    Go slowly, bit by bit, enjoy your wins and be realistic about your expectations.
    We have seen members with good skills, starting what looked like a reasonable resto. and end up walking away altogether…..the job was just too large and costly.to continue.
    Not saying that this will be your outcome……but be realistic about the amount of time required.
    Many ‘beaters will not touch kombis cause of these reasons…..you need an old school fella to help out and they are very thin on the ground……if you can find them at all, which is why many here do their own work…….slowly.
    (….and why no one could recommended anyone.)
    Cheers,
    Mark

13. Dean Mitropoulos

Dean Mitropoulos Member

thanks Mark, I do understand that these take a lot of hours to do and they need to be done properly. I would not find it resonable for the restorer to say 100h just to replace the a pillar as that is too long considering he is a professional. I will have to take my time and get an old panel beater to help me out and do it together with him. There is a lot of work to be done and it need time.
    @oldman .some other metal fabricator/ panel beater said to expect about 100h ex paint and prep for most of the body to include sills, front face, a pillar, deformation panel, door track, thread hold and wheel arches. Would this sound more accurate or what should I have expect. I am not going to rush this and do expect it to take some time

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  14. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Dean, as many others have already said….no one can tell you what is/is not a reasonable amount of time.
    No one here has seen your bus or the state it is in, what you have done or what repairs have already been done.
    Pictures only tell part of the story.
    There are sooo many issues to consider when aligning panels, pillars, doors, doglegs etc that it will be extremely hard, if not impossible for anyone to give you an accurate assessment.
    Cheers,
    Mark

15. Dean Mitropoulos

Dean Mitropoulos Member

Thanks mark I think my best bet is to get some quotes and see. You are right that you need to have a look in person not by photos.

oldman likes this.