1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1975 gets a new life

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by SUTTO, Sep 1, 2015.

1. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

Got this little fella about 6 months ago after approval was obtained from the misses to get back into Kombis. The previous owner had her for 10 years from memory and had intentions of fixing it up but after a couple of kids it went down the list of priorities.
    Around 7 years ago he had it painted the green/cream colour that it is now but from what I observed it was not the best job, paint over paint, bubbles appearing in every panel and join, inviting rust to grow and door seals that didn't.

From a far it looked great but up close was a different story. The inside was long in need of a clean, missing it's headlining, old crusty headlining and glue stuck to every window surround and crusty vinyl door cards that snapped clean off when touched.

The little fella needed some loving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

melissa likes this.
  2. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

That is a great base to start with.

3. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

Some of the issues

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

The middle seat needed a bit of a clean because I was sure it was not meant to be grey. Bit of gumption later and.. White

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. andrew

andrew Active Member

Amazing difference - I am sure it will come up fantastically

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Rust in the usual & unusual places, hope not too many hidden surprises for you.

7. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

Time to take everything out to see what how the inside was holding up. The door/wall cards had been destroyed with moisture and the sun, could not even get the old vinyl off without destroying it so Ill have to start fresh with that stuff. The floor mat is in good shape and original VW so Ill hold onto that as well as the seat belts which although incredibly dirty are in good shape. I had to get some repairs done to the Rock n' Roll due to some rust issues as well. At this point I can only see one window with a rusted sill, let hope it stays that way.

The floor pan of the bus is in fairly good shape but after taking out the interior and ripping off stuck on headlining, there appears to be some pretty bad rust in the B-pillar to the point of it rusting to the inside which will need some fixing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Repair job on the rear seat bases looks good :)

9. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

^Good as new.

I was toying around with the idea of doing a wooden full length headliner and after cracking the shits at removing (or trying to) the adhesive that was used around the windows for the old cloth one I decided I would do it.

I got three lengths of wood, cut out to the shape that Westfalia used, got working on staining each side a few times before putting on a nice gloss clear coat.

When It goes into the van I will put some strips of plastic or aluminum J-channel above the windows for it to clip into.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jobell likes this.
  10. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

Final photos before it is off to get the rust fixed up and re painted. Got the majority of the horse hair and glue of the roof with some wax and grease remover. Hub caps off for a toothless grin. Does not seem to matter how many times I try and wipe down the inside, I keep finding more dust and grime.

I nearly went deaf driving it around like this, going to have to invest in some sound dampening products.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miss Rosie and Happy_Camper like this.
  11. type2mania

type2mania Member

Great work, keep the pics coming please !

12. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Wow....what a massive difference.

Did the rock'n'roll bed base rust the floor of the bus too?

Excellent cleaning job - they are large vans and take a lot of work to clean...as you will now know....

13. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

Yeah it did rust the floor as well, mostly just aggressive surface rust though.

This bus is going to spend the rest of it's life swimming in fish oil as long as it is in my possession. The sort of smell that would put a fish market to shame.

Miss Rosie likes this.
  14. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

Bit of paint stripping reveals that the last paint job was pretty much just applied straight over the original white.

It also must of been bog training day for the apprentice when this bus was last worked on, It seems silly to me that people don't just get the dents fixed right the first time.

Sliding door has issues, but that is always expected. Not to many nasty surprises at this stage though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

So far not to many nasty surprises, Battery tray will not need replacing, sliding door and right hand side bottom sills need to be cut out and replaced, bottom of the B - pillars need a lot of work, a few dints here and there that need some physical abuse.

Front panel had a few rust issues so is off for a placement panel, dash to be painted and inner panels to get a lick of POR-15.

Window sills were really good except for the one with a hole which was a relief.

Glad I have gotten onto doing this now as I reckon the bus was due to go south rust wise with the bubbles that it had popping out on every panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VZR69 and janus77 like this.
  16. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

These comments are not meant for you Sutto, you knew what you were getting and are doing a fantastic job restoring it, but it is a great example to let people know that they need to inspect before buying.

From the first photos the Kombi looked like it was in fantastic condition. Scratch the surface and there is a different story. Nothing major but still expensive to fix if you have to pay someone.

Miss Rosie and Grantus like this.
  17. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

Absolutely 100% good point, Luckily enough I had very good idea of what I was getting into and what lurked beneath. The little fella needed saving, and so far it is not as bad as it could have been. Left untouched it would be a different story in a few years.

18. jobell

jobell Active Member

Great thread! You seem to be well equipped for the job skill wise. Would love to see a pic of that wooden headliner when it's in, I can't remember ever seeing one before.

19. SUTTO

SUTTO Active Member

New front is on with some POR15 put on the inside panels.

Bottom sills on both sides getting worked on. Underneath the sliding door track was a rusted panel that had been welded over the original rusted track as a fix. This will need to go.

Front doors put back on temporarily to make sure an accurate fit is obtained with the new front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Wow the bog is thick in some of those pics, pity the PO didnt fix those rust issues before giving it a coat of paint.
    Reminds me of the panel shop i worked in when i was 16, XC wagon came with a whole 1/4 panel made up of chicken wire, news paper and bog 1" thick.
    What are the plans colour wise ?