1976 2L Kombi going beautifully ... then won't start today

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Micky O, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Micky O

Micky O Member

Hiya team. I'm ready for your wisdom. Dash lights are up and the starter motor cranks over, but the engine just won't kick in.

So, it seems to me it's either it's a fuel issue or an electrical one. Now after many attempts to fix what I thought may be the world's worst case of flooding, I've now had the battery power cut out totally a couple of times. This made me check all the fuses, but they're all good. After a rest the battery power seems to recover enough to light the dash and crank the starter - and the procedure starts again.

Fuel filter looks clean. Electric fuel pump is clicking over like normal.

Points, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm and ignition switch are all quite new - about 6 months. I've checked the earth strap and all the connector wires to the coil.

Tuning has been awesome recently, so I would have thought the carbs (twin Solex) shouldn't suddenly fail.

Got a call in to NRMA but being summer holidays I'll be waiting all day :(.

Could it be something as simple as the battery? If the starter cranks over, could it then fail to have enough juice to spark?

Micky

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Do you have a multimeter.?
    You need to maintain about 9V or more while cranking to fire coil .

Is cranking now slow and short duration before fading?

Check for power at coil, ign on then remove and attach ign wire ,+ , on coil. Should get a spark. Should also hear fuel solenoids click on.
    If all good there pull dissy cap and with points closed and ign on , open points with finger and check for spark.

If all good there electrics likely ok.
    Check you have points gap. About thickness of business card.

Do you have any aerostart. ?
    If so, try some puffs down carb throats while someone cranks with foot n half throttle.
    Keep head out of engine bay in case of backfire.
    Don't pump acelerator.

3. Micky O

Micky O Member

Thanks. Prompt and helpful as always cbus.

Not EFI. I'm no wizz with electrics and don't have multimeter (yes yes it's on my list), so I hoped Mr NRMA might have that angle covered. But I'll check some of that other stuff and report back.

Aerostart - is that similar to a can of stuff I once saw called Start Ya Bastard? Never a more apt product name :D

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

yes

5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I notice in your signature that this is "Trusty" and not "Helga" :(

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yep. Same as start ya b.
    Universal good stuff.
    Gives the chance if determining if fuel or spark is the problem.
    Fires up flooded and low battery usualy as well.

Sounds like been flooded and now battery down.
    Waiting half hr might sort both if attempted carefuly.

If you had good charge you could depress accelerator slowly and pump air thru engine.

If low V then a push start may work . 2nd gear often best.

Jumper battery with RAC will prob fix it.

7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

If you have flooded it it isnt fuel blockage

battery will have gone flat after so many starts - that is all to be expected

Sounds like spark to me
    Make sure there are no loose wires on the coil
    Make sure all hi tension / plug leads are securely seated

You could check for spark but if not to good with electrics I would grab a beer and wait for NRMA

8. Micky O

Micky O Member

Wise words. Yep it's Trusty.

I couldn't get the solenoid to spark as per cbus's suggestion. But battery is low anyway. Let's see what some jump leads will do...

9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

10. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Cant be too much. Sounds more electrical than fuel, as has been suggested. Hope you get a better guy than another member got a while back. pulled up behind him on the side of the road 2 km from his home after a 2000 km trip. NRMA bloke had called the tow truck and left. I offered to have a look. Points rubbing block worn down so no spark. I finished just as the tow truck turned up and fired first go. 5 min fix. Towie was happy as he got paid regardless. Pretty poor NRMA man as he obviously didn't have any idea about standard ignition systems.

Good luck.

Adrian

11. Micky O

Micky O Member

Yeah I opened the top engine cover and can actually smell the fuel coming through, so it seems it just isn't sparking. Plugs, points, leads and everything are quite fresh - so hopefully it's easily identified as solenoid or battery.

Still waiting for the NRMA. It is now 6 1/2 hours since my first call out.:rolleyes:

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Bloody hell.
    You'll run out of beer.
    Strong smell of raw fuel should be gone by now.
    If still present check fuel lines and carb bodies.

Check for spark by pulling ign lead off and on coil + again.
    then try a start without touching throttle or with slow depression to 1/4 throttle.

13. Micky O

Micky O Member

NRMA bloke was excellent. The problem was no spark - solenoid (fairly ancient) needs replacing, and also recommended replacement of condenser and leads. They are earthing out all over the shop and preventing any spark. Got everything going beautifully with some carefully positioned insulating tape :). Didn't need rubber band or chewy on this occasion. A visit to Penrith tomorrow to get some replacement bits.

David H and cbus like this.
  14. Micky O

Micky O Member

Big thanks to everyone for your wise counsel today.

David H likes this.
  15. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Congrats................. had you run out of beer before he turned up?

16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Or consumed too many beers to take it for a test drive? :eek:

17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Maybe they just rolled him onto the tilt tray:D

18. Micky O

Micky O Member

No shortage of beer here - lotsa home brewing going bubble bubble in the shed. But the local rule is you can't start until the sun's over the yardarm etc etc. I was just thinking about it when the NRMA arrived...

And no, I haven't been on a test drive.

19. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I think he meant the ignition "coil", not the "solenoid". A solenoid is a relay or electrically operated valve and has a coil to actuate it. The no spark issue is more likely the ignition coil that is for producing spark that is sent to the spark plugs via the distributor. Big cylinder bolted on the left hand side of the engine. It will help to ask for the right thing, and make sure the rt number doesn't have "R", as in GT40R on it. The correct one in this case would be GT40. Try to find a Bosch one, as well as Bosch or Erlich for the other components.

Adrian

20. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member