1976 2L Kombi going beautifully ... then won't start today

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Micky O, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Micky O

Micky O Member

Yes coil! (Ta I now know the difference). Also the leads were old and cracked. All are now replaced and the bus is going like new again. Mikki down at Indian Automotive had the stuff in stock.

2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I should have thought too, and thanks to Bert for mentioning it, a solenoid is also the unit on the side of the starter motor that uses the coil to operate a lever to engage the starter.

Sounds like you got it anyway.

Adrian

3. Micky O

Micky O Member

Well it's never that simple is it?

The brand new Bosch GT40 coil failed after 2 days. It totally blew out through the terminal where the dizzy lead goes, spewing fluid out. In fact, in spectacular fashion it blew pressurised fluid all the way through the dizzy lead so that both ends of the lead got popped off! The only advice I have so far is that this can happen when someone accidentally leaves the ignition on for a long time, which didn't happen.

Anyway, I managed to source a replacement Beru coil on a Saturday afternoon. The new coil does feel quite hot after a drive, but I would have thought that was normal, which is why they fill them with oil. It's not so hot that it is uncomfortable to hold with your bare hand.

Any ideas folks? Is it due to some kind of overheating? Or was it just an unlucky dud coil?

Micky

4. lachie

lachie Member

seems peculiar that 2 coils fail so quickly!
    Worth taking it back to indian automotive - check that the ignition is actually turning off, and in the mean time maybe drop a battery lead when you're not driving to protect your new coil.

5. Micky O

Micky O Member

Well it turned out that the first coil was at least 20 years old. It's the new Bosch coil self-destructing that is most peculiar. Yes, I will be disconnecting things when not driving until I know more.

But there IS something funny going on with the electrics. Once or twice when I tried to start the ignition, instead of starting up there is a click and everything just shuts down, no dash lights or anything. I then switch off ignition, go around the back and jiggle the earth strap and the earth connection on the battery and every time it's fixed and it starts up fine. I will definitely replace that earth strap ASAP (though it beats me why a thick metal braided wire would ever fail :confused:) and the battery might be getting old so I'll get it tested. But I suspect this is separate to the coil issue...

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Symptoms match a bad connection/ earth.
    Typical for braided earth straps to exhibit problems due to small amount of corrosion even though there is plenty if braid.
    Clean all contact surfaces of paint etc. Run a new cable. Insulated now most common available.
    Spray with some lanolin / vaseline or other muck to prevent corrosion on connections. WD 40 doesn't last.

Start with battery and starter cables. Replace earth strap if its a braided one. Ensure colour coding prevents mistakes. Many kombis have batteries with incorrect terminal orientation.
    Dont overtighten group connection on starter solenoid lest you crack the cap.
    Clean all connections with scourer or similarand wipe clean.
    Gearbox to body strap. Renew.
    Plug connections to ignition switch if symptoms persist.

Multimer across coil + to engine bolt( - ) should show no V ( maybe fraction of a V ) with ign turned off.
    If test is as described don't be concerned about isolating battery unless it is discharging at rest.
    Guess is a dud coil from a 3rd world country. Impressive fail.

Possible that the previous issue was low voltage to coil or a sad coil. Thus giving a poor spark that then had losses due to failing insulation on HT leads.
    Test original coil. It may still be ok.

New battery may be a consideration.
    If it is failing you won't squeeze much more life out of it.
    Biggest / best that fits is good. Gives bigger margin if chasing other starting issues at some stage.

Normal for coil to be quite warm as you describe when operating.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Micky O likes this.
  7. Micky O

Micky O Member

Thanks cbus. That right there is a works program for the next couple of days.

8. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

do not use an oil filled coil like a GT40, Epoxy filled all the way.

David H likes this.
  9. Micky O

Micky O Member

UPDATE: replaced the earth strap and tidied up a few of those wires and connections to the coil, and blammo everything is going absolutely splendiferously. Well, until the next thing... :rolleyes:

But how's this! As an added bonus - ??which may or may not be related?? - the fuel gauge seems to have awoken from its prevously semi-comatose state and now shows a generally consistent indication of the actual quantity of fuel in the tank.:D:confused::D

David H, Mordred, Grantus and 2 others like this.
  10. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Nice work :)

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

'Mazing what a bit of housekeeping can achieve ;)

12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Gotta be related to the earth strap

Well done

oldman likes this.
  13. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Earth strap, or its condition/contact to body, is often overlooked when diagnosing electrical issues.....
    Well done.....every time you poke your head in the engine bay & tidy something up, you learn something valuable.
    Cheers,
    Mark

evan&janine likes this.
  14. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Here's a saying for new Kombi owners. "If it looks shit, it probably is. Fix it."

evan&janine, Mordred and oldman like this.
  15. evan&janine

evan&janine Active Member

Kai, what are the epoxy coils. Looking to move my onto retirement as spare.
    Regards Evan.

16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

upload_2018-2-14_9-36-51.png

17. evan&janine

evan&janine Active Member

Thanks Barry, just left mechanic and coil sadly has gone beyond y b d. Timely reference ,cheers.

18. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

The liquid inside the coil - i have found that oil filled coils tend to break down and leak, especially when inverted on a 1600 fan shroud. Epoxy more durable in hotter and rugged environments.

Only use the pertronix coil if you have a pertronix ignitor fitted.

standard coil epoxy filled- https://www.justkampers.com.au/043-...or-all-12v-vw-beetle-t2-split-and-t2-bay.html
    Pertronix part number is 40611.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Grantus, evan&janine and cbus like this.