1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1976 DC Resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by OSF, Oct 22, 2016.

1. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Ok, so the resto of my 1976 DC Ute has now begun.

Starting Condition:
    All in all my DC is in pretty good shape and pretty much original. It has rust in all the usual spots, but not too much and the chassis is solid. The interior is pretty much worn out, but it's all there. The original engine would have been a 2L EFI, but I'm not sure what's in there now. It's either the original with a few modifications over time, or a bit of a put together (I suspect the later). I'm also not yet sure if it's a 1.8L or 2L (the number on the fan housing matches what would have been in there originally {2L EFI}, but the case number {1.8L} does not match this). The EFI has gone (which I'm happy with) and it has a Webber Single Carb on it, which will probably meet my needs. It's not registered though does drive and seems to go ok. Oil or other fluids are leaking from everywhere.

The Plan:

Pretty much a full resto, with the exception of a full rebuild of the engine/gearbox (at the moment). I want to make it my weekend driver and I'm going to keep it original to a point, but I am also happy to make changes for safety, comfort and fun.
    Outsourcing most of it, but also doing what I can easily do myself with limited time and resources.

Timeframe:
    It will take what it takes. Getting it back on the road should be pretty quick though as I'm outsourcing most of the work required for this. In reality though it will never really be finished as the "tinker" factor will go on forever.

Budget:
    It will cost what it costs and probably then some. I can't afford it and it's going to hurt the mortgage, but what do you do.

Pics / progress to follow.

jobell, StevieVW, vassy69SC and 3 others like this.
  2. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

I'm excited and with interest rates so low might as well have an awesome SC!

3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I think a few of us are going to be excited when you finish. The games have only started,adventure ahead of you. Enjoy your resto. Hope every thing works out as planned.

4. Borgey

Borgey Well-Known Member

It's in good hands I believe and will come up a treat.

5. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

OK. So here are the Before Pics again.
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    jobell, vassy69SC, VZR69 and 2 others like this.
  6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Those pics are still tiny when I click on them.....:(

7. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Ok. Photos sorted now. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    Grantus likes this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi OSF,
    He's lived a life & the pictures tell a story. May your resto to bring new life to him be a joyous ( & not too expensive on the mortgage) experience.
    I like your plan & how you know that it just won't go that way. A plan at the start is great cos' that way you know when it deviates from the plan. (yeah... s**t happens & you're expecting that. Good plan!)
    Cheers,
    David H

9. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

A few pics of some of the rusty bits, inside and underneath. These pics don't really do the rust justice though, as there is a fair bit more, but it's in all places that are hard to photograph. Nothing too nasty though.

DSCN2286.JPG DSCN2298.JPG DSCN2296.JPG DSCN2322.JPG DSCN2341.JPG DSCN2339.JPG DSCN2426.JPG DSCN2432.JPG DSCN2420.JPG DSCN2410.JPG

10. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

I've been sourcing a few parts.

He's a ute, so he's going to need a Bullbar and a Towbar. Ok two Bullbars (interchangeable), so I can either look at the pretty VW badge or carry an extra spare. And besides, what's the point in having a shed if you don't put some spare parts in it that you might just need one day.

Oct 2016 9718 (1024x612).jpg Oct 2016 10096.jpg Oct 2016 9834.jpg

11. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Where were you when I was looking for a Sopru roo bar last year. See 76 Sopru resto in resto corner for what I ended up with that allowed me to 'let go' of 'it has to be original' & see where that led. allbars.com.au No shed ...just a man cave my wife gets me to 'cull' every 12 months so I can still get in there!
    Cheers,
    David H

12. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

A new set of tyres.

IMAG2825 (765x1280).jpg IMAG2829 (1280x765).jpg IMAG2838 (1280x765).jpg IMAG2830 (765x1280).jpg

13. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

My shed is actually supposed to be a Granny Flat. But Granny is going to have to wait because I'm not taking out a second mortgage.

Poptop likes this.
  14. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Organised some replacement parts:
    - A new set of Klassic Fab Gates. No pics yet as they are on there way to me.

StevieVW likes this.
  15. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Stripped out what I could easily, got it ready and sent it away.

VW Strip Out Oct 2016 045 (800x600).jpg Oct 2016 11163 (800x478).jpg Oct 2016 11161 (800x478).jpg Oct 2016 11160 (478x800).jpg Oct 2016 11159 (478x800).jpg

16. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Hi OSF
    Once the gates arrive, can you tell us about delivery time from order, what they were like to paint and quality of fit?

17. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

My new Load Bed has arrived.
    Never thought I'd be so excited by straight, rust free metal.
    The old Load Bed was not too bad, but the thought of not being able to get to and properly cut out/treat all the rust underneath it was killing me, so it has to go.

Oct 2016 11349.jpg

18. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Yep. Will do.

19. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Ashtray, door and round dash vents I previously restored with VHT Vinyl Dye - Black (Satin) and a sticker found online. Thanks for the tips people.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 6.ipg - Copy.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Jethro, jobell and Grantus like this.
  20. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

I won't need them for a while but I ordered some Hoops for the tray from Poland. Jack is a great guy to deal with and I was able to negotiate a bit of a better deal by doing a double order with Wayne (cheers mate).

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1915806

Haven't sorted a Tilt (Canopy) yet, as I'll do that down the track. I also really like Poptop's Tonneau, so I'm kind of thinking I might get a Tonneau on the back to start with and then come back and sort out a canopy. Canopy / Tonneau - Can't afford any of it so I might as well have both. I like the look and good visibility offered by just having a Tonneau on there, but the Hoops and Canopy are so cool and will be great for going away.