1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1976 DC Resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by OSF, Oct 22, 2016.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Well HAPPY ANNIVERSARY:D & what did you get your bus as a present on this special day:p.
    You've done a great job & I've enjoyed your thread so much:cool:. I'd be loath to put anything in that tray for fear of marking the paint! Will go back together pretty quick from here;). Cruising by Christmas? would be an awesome family outcome.
    Cheers

JoshG likes this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

You’ve made great progress in just 12 months. :)

Many resto’s take much longer........

3. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

It has been a massive effort from all involved and I'm very happy with where it's up to. It was covered in dust when I took these pics and still needs a buff, but I'm very happy with how it looks in the flesh and I'm confident it will come together very nicely as all the bits go back on.

David H likes this.
  4. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Mud Flap joy.
    These arrived for me from Turkey today.
    IMAG4581 (612x1024).jpg IMAG4584 (612x1024).jpg
    I wanted the non-necked type and couldn't find them anywhere else, so had to buy off ebay. They are about 1/2 inch longer than an old original one I had, but otherwise pretty much the same width and thickness etc. with the molded VW symbol. They seem ok, though they are actually two pairs that are slightly different to each other and this does my head in, even though no-one will pick it when they are on. One also has a tiny bit broken off it which is also killing me.

Got my brackets to get them on all sorted and whilst I'm happy with the back brackets, I'm still unsure at this point if I'll use the front ones or not. It's going to depend on if I like the look of the front ones put on behind the jacking point using these brackets and how evenly I can line them all up.
    IMAG4585 (1024x612).jpg IMAG4598 (1024x612).jpg

5. David H

Hi OSF,
    Love your eye for detail;). Not sure if I could be as good as you with that??? I'm a bit looser with the flow of things but as @DanSA said "Whatever floats your boat". Great job & procrastinate all you want to get the outcome:p you desire.
    It's looking fantastic!!!:D. Going to love you 'walking me thru' the resto when I see it in person.
    Cheers

6. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Active Member

All you need now for all those mud flaps is a flood map.

7. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

And then a Schwimmwagen?
    Schiwmmagen.jpg

Might be looking for a new project soon.

8. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Is the length have any thing to do with front and back mud flaps,if brought as a set.

9. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Don't think so. I'll need a closer look when fitting, but they should all hang at the same length and I'm pretty sure they don't need different length Mud Flaps front and back to do this. The ones I got are just different to the originals (only by 1/2 inch or so though). Something Ratwell mentions as well in his article on Mud Flaps (that we have all seen and read through a thousand times).

Just one of those things that happens when people make repos I suppose. I'm not lowering or anything so it's not an issue for me, more just a curiosity.

10. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    slobus and David H like this.
  11. David H

Minister for Finance might be comforted with that;). Hopefully:p. Didn't read full history but it's surely a 'new level' for DC's:rolleyes:. Gotta be half happy with that!
    Cheers

12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

That will increase your insurance premiums, if you apply that value to your vehicle.......:(

13. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Active Member

An ocean going mud flap? And a flooded map.

14. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Still getting parts.

Complete Handle Set and Ignition barrel all keyed the same to original R code Keys

From Custom & Commercial (UK) - Very happy with the quality.
    IMAG4626.jpg
    This was another one of those "Arrrrhhh F### It" expenses that I didn't want and never planned for, but couldn't not have in the end. I was intending to use my old ones but when I pulled them out I realised 40 odd years had taken its toll and putting them back on just wouldn't do everything else justice.

Horn Contact Ring
    Ordered from Das Resto yesterday morning and arrived at my place this afternoon - Good Work Guys!
    IMAG4612 (1024x612).jpg

David H likes this.
  15. David H

Beep Beep:p:D
    Cheers

16. surf bus

surf bus Active Member

Glad to see you are getting nearer to the finish line.What are you doing regards the rear cargo/cab door seal?

17. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Not exactly sure yet. Been asking around and the general consensus is to cut down a seal from a bus sliding door.

18. David H

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  19. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

and more parts...

MCJ Billet Window Winders
    From The Bus Stop
    IMAG4664 (612x1024).jpg IMAG4667 (612x1024).jpg
    These are nice.

20. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Got one of those horn contact/indicator cancel rings from Mick Motors for the woodrim steering wheel on the Type3 - same part number ;) would have expected Vintage VeeDub had them also - a closer supplier.