1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1976 DC Resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by OSF, Oct 22, 2016.

1. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Robert at Australian Door Cards got back to me with the following advice regarding what to stick the plastic door cards on with.

We recommend using a quick grip. The trimmer we supply to use a Bolsik Kwik Grip but you can pick up kwik grip from both Super Cheap and Bunnings in the brands of Selleys and Sika. Just make sure to apply the adhesive following the instructions so that you get a good adhesion.

slobus likes this.
  2. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

A bit more pain but hopefully heading in the right direction again ...
    The electrician has put the new wiring harness etc in and my DC is now ready for the engine, gearbox, steering, brakes etc. to all go back on. There have however been a few more issues with the mechanic, so he is now gone and won't be back working on it a third time.

The new plan to get my all mechanical stuff sorted is to hand this over to Mike at Custom Bugs & Buses in Penrith. They will go over and check everything the previous mechanic did, fix anything that needs to be fixed, upgrade what's required, put it all back together and tune it on their dyno. I'm booked in for the first week of March and I'm expecting my DC to start, drive, steer and brake like new once they have done their thing.

Remaining to do after this will then be to get the windows, trim and seats all back in and sort out all the other stuff I have picked up along the way (Bull bar, Tow bar, Stereo BlazeCut etc).

David H and Borgey like this.
  3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Only ever heard good stuff about Mike and CBB. ;)

Hopefully all will be sorted, to the customers satisfaction.... :)

OSF likes this.
  4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Nearly there OSF. Getting excited yet?;)
    Cheers

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I put flaps on all large openings and tape all smaller holes with PVC duct tape.
    Flaps cut from 0.25- 0.5 PVC from rubber stores.
    Top is held in place with duct tape and sides / bottom tucked inside opening.
    Small cut needed to allow side to sit in .

Then make own seals from 0.25mm PVC to cover full door but cut about 20mm inside clip line to give room to fix with duct tape.
    Tape goes over clip holes.
    Plugs for clips punched thru tape or pre punch with any suitable tool.

Worth sealing card as well.
    Personal preference is prior to covering using thinned epoxy resin or primer.
    Besides being waterproof epoxy partly saturates board and gives considerably more strength .

OSF likes this.
  6. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Don't want to get ahead of myself just yet.

David H likes this.
  7. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Still collecting a few parts.
    Bumper rubbers - I'm pretty sure the commercial vehicles didn't originally come with these, but they're going on this DC because I like the concept and they will complete look I want.
    Door pulls etc - Going for a bit of bling here as well, but not too much. I toyed with the idea of putting billet door pulls on but decided to go with the deluxe door pulls instead, as again I like the look and I also want to keep a bit of black on there. I am however putting the MCJ billet window winders on, so I'll see how it all goes together. It looks good in my head, but if reality is a different story then I'll update to the billet door pulls down the track.

IMAG4884.jpg IMAG4893 (612x1024).jpg

slobus, Poptop and David H like this.
  8. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

More bits.
    IMAG4914 (1024x612).jpg IMAG4917 (1024x612).jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    JoshG likes this.
  9. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

A few more delays and a bit more movement. My engine, gearbox and a box of bits went down to Mike at CBB Penrith yesterday. He will check over the work my old mechanic did, finish what wasn't done and get it all sorted.
    My DC will then follow (hopefully next week or the one after) for him to put the engine/gearbox back in and go over all the other mechanicals.

Poptop, Grantus, David H and 2 others like this.
  10. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

@OSF It's not the type of movement I want to see,:(Unless it's under it's own steam:). When it gets this close all the delays makes it very frustrating :mad:, As long as it is still progressing along,some what:confused: you can see work being done but doesn't look like much is being achieved:eek:. Hope things will be rolling shortly ;):) for you.

11. David H

Nearly there OSF;).
    Like a new marriage:D. Heart & body back together:rolleyes:. Holding a ceremony? I would!
    What's going to be the first place you take him after home? First outing where?
    Cheers

12. JoshG

JoshG Active Member

Awesome mate. Mike does a great job, no doubt she will be ripping up the streets in no time

13. pof

pof Member

Hi All, I'm trying to work out details for the crew door - in particular latch (outside), strap that prevents rear cab door from opening too far and whether there's meant to be an external lock on the rear crew door - do one of you have some photos that you could post to show what the original looks like?

14. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Hi Poof
    I’ll PM with photos this W/E, unless the DC Committee beats me to it, I don’t want Evan AKA OSF ( it’s his own acronym you know? ) going all OCD about his thread; he’ll further delay the finished product and I’ll use all my broadband viewing stuff I pay by the minute for - oops!

David H and OSF like this.
  15. pof

pof Member

Thanks - sorry Evan osf for attempted thread theft...

Poptop likes this.
  16. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Hey pof. No problems at all. I do normally get a bit OCD about my thread (as Poptop has rightly pointed out), but I'm feeling surprisingly calm and not concerned about this at the moment as I got a few other things going on in life right now that make a small unintentional thread hijack from a fellow DC'er something certainly not worth stressing about (my wife has again told me she's leaving me).

My rear crew door has an external lock in the handle just like the front doors. I have replaced all the handles with a matching set from Custom & Commercial UK and got them to also re-key my ignition to match (i.e. 1 key fits everything).
    https://www.customandcommercial.com...on_one_r_code_key_double_cab_bus_72-79_36739/

With regard to the strap - It attaches at one end to a welded bit inside the cab and at the other end to a lug that bolts on to the rear door.
    VW Strip Out Oct 2016 026 (768x1024).jpg VW Strip Out Oct 2016 028 (1024x768).jpg VW Strip Out Oct 2016 024 (1024x768).jpg

Is this what you were looking for?

Cheers
    Euan

David H likes this.
  17. David H

Gender neutral please Poptop & no abuse:p:D. Euan's busy;) placating his partnero_O.
    Cheers

18. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

I wish I could. The alcohol has however shifted gears on her and she's now gone to bed and snoring her head off.

Poptop and David H like this.
  19. David H

Ah...elation, aggression, contrition, sedation:rolleyes:. I'm happy, you're bad, I'm sorry, zzzz;).
    Best to just do steps 1 & 4:D.
    Good luck tomorrow.
    Maybe she'll buy you flowers:p.
    Cheers

20. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Unfortunately no one has ever told her about step 3, so there will be no flowers.