1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1976 DC Resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by OSF, Oct 22, 2016.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

My ex also not recognising step 3 & never any flowers:( but this taught me patience, understanding & compassion.
    I guess she's a busy mother of 2 & it was just your turn tonight to vent that frustration:( & you're an easy target with ALL that money you've spent on the DC;).
    Maybe buy her flowers & say thanks:rolleyes:?
    Turns it upside down & lets her know she's appreciated:D (which I speculate this may be about:p)
    Cheers
    Happy to clean this thread tomorrow Euan:cool:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Mmmmmm.
    No problems re cleaning thread. It's all indicative of my resto journey, an insight into the sometimes unseen costs of a resto, and sometimes even a tiny voice highlighting the issue of Mental Health, which I believe is one of the most significant yet least talked about issues of our time.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    David H likes this.
  3. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Anyway .... getting back to the DC.

Went and saw Mike at CBB today. He seems like a straight shooter and one of the good guys. Unfortunately it also seems the last mechanic didn't do me any favours and a significant amount of money may have now gone down the drain. F...k!

I'm confident my engine/gearbox is finally in good hands however, so I'm just going to suck it up and keep moving forward. Another visit to the bank manager or not, this DC is going to be back on the road and sooner rather than later.

Poptop and David H like this.
  4. David H

You've been most patient & resilient:cool:. These are values that I hold dear. On your way north (whenever) you are most welcome to camp/stay at ours;).
    Cheers

5. David H

Determination is also something I love:D.
    Cheers

6. pof

pof Member

Thanks heaps, those photos are terrific, peter

7. pof

pof Member

One other question - is that blue strap an original? thx p

8. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

No idea. It was on there when I got it, but that was 40 yrs after it left the factory.

pof likes this.
  9. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Here's a couple of quick progress pics, whilst I'm trying to get the engine stuff (and wife and the bank manger) sorted.
    IMG_6706001.jpg

IMG_6707.jpg

Most of the essential things (bar the mechanicals/interior etc) are pretty much back on. Currently just sourcing a few window rubbers, and waiting for the dash pad to come back from the Dashboard Doctor, before the remaining windows etc will go back in.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Poptop, slobus and David H like this.
  10. pof

pof Member

I found this:

http://dasrestoparts.com.au/cargo-door-check-strap-60.html

I called Das Resto and they had it listed as a late split part - they said it is 14cm long - do you know if this will work for a 74 bay?

11. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Hi Euan great some pics!
    Pof looks correct, mines original, it’s black, Euan presume your OCD will ensure a new black one replace the blue!
    Regards
    Mark

OSF and David H like this.
  12. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Update
    Lots has and hasn't happened, a few things have changed, everything is moving forward and we are now nearing the last turn. Well not yet really as there is still a lot to do, but saying I'm nearing the last turn kinda makes it seem like the pain will be over soon.

So here's where things are up to:

Body
    The pictures pretty much show the latest.
    1 (1024x498).jpg 2 (498x1024).jpg 3 (1024x498).jpg 4 (1024x498).jpg 5 (1024x498).jpg 6 (1024x498).jpg 7 (1024x498).jpg 8 (1024x498).jpg 9 (498x1024).jpg 10 (1024x498).jpg

There have been lots of little issues and frustrations along the way, but overall I'm very happy with the way it's all coming together. The black steering wheel and window winder handle are just temporary to allow my DC to be moved around and windows operated etc. I'll put my wood rim steering wheel and finishing billet bits and pieces on once the reassembly work is finished and it's out of the shop.
    I'm not 100% happy with the fit/operation of the back 1/4 windows yet and I still need to get some rubbers for the doors and engine lid. I'm also not so sure about how close the back bumper is and I might push it out a bit when I put the tow bar on. Not sure yet.

Engine
    Some decisions have been made, wife pacified, finance secured and Mike at CBB is now onto my engine. I wasn't happy having an 1800 case in there (even though it's only a number), so I've now got a model / year correct 2L EFI case that he's starting with. Mike is going to completely rebuild the engine, upgrade it to a 2054cc with Fly By Wire, Direct Fire, Full Sequential Engine Management via a Haltech Elite 1500 ECU system. i.e. I'll be giving the engine a bit of a performance tweak (bigger bore, mild cam etc), upgrading it to a full modern EFI system (where each cylinder has it's own coil and there is no dizzy), doing away with the accelerator cable and going to a fly by wire setup. He will also put an External Oil Cooler in for me and I'm leaning toward but haven't fully decided yet if I'll put in one or all of the standard trio of gauges people use to monitor things (i.e. Oil Pressure / Temp and Volts) or other (e.g. CHT) etc. Not sure I want to cut holes in or bolt extra stuff onto my new dash.

Gearbox
    Mike's also going to split my gearbox and I'll then decided what I'm going to do with this. I heard a few "stories" about potentially less than ideal modifications the guy who did my gearbox had done to others, so I figure I might as well get Mike to double check this whilst he's doing everything else. I'm considering putting a taller 3rd and 4th gear in to match the engine improvements and for better freeway cruising, but haven't made any firm decision on this yet.

So it's pretty much all systems go at the moment as I'm currently nearing that final turn.

onetrackwonder likes this.
  13. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

P.S. Here's a pic that shows the Smoke Grey colour a bit better (now there is a bit of contrast). I'm absolutely stinging to get my seats/door cards back in (same colour as the red on the wheels), but am holding off till all the other work inside is finished.

11 (622x1280).jpg
    12 (1280x622).jpg

slobus and Barry like this.
  14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Got to be happy with that Euan :D .... amazing what that thick black rubber on the bumper does to the overall appearance :cool:;)

15. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Agreed a rubber on the bar always a good sign of things to cum!

KahunaKombi likes this.
  16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Love the colour

My opinion - get the gauges.
    need to understand what that motor is doing

17. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree. I'm hoping it will look even better when I put my black tonneau on the tray, white roof racks up on top and red seats etc in.

18. KahunaKombi

As for the gauges, I'm with Barry ;) ...... and fully get not wanting to cut the dash = always a challenge to find a discreet place and have them in view :rolleyes:

19. KahunaKombi

Tonneau - black :eek: wicked :cool:
    White roof rocks :rolleyes: ....... need to think on that and try to visualise :confused: but expect with the rest of what you've done it'll be ;) schweeet.

20. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

It does look like a nice sweet job. I know ,feel your frustrations along your way. from selecting a colour all the way through to know. It will be great to see it finished with the famous DC group getting together one day.
    Have you got the brackets to hold down your pedestal seat base?