1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1976 DC Resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by OSF, Oct 22, 2016.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Owns a bay does he:p:D:D:D?
    I'll be there sometime........soon.......maybe then....... or later;)!!
    Sorry for the thread clog OSF:(.
    Cheers

2. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

I'm sure the L-jetronic EFI is great for something that's 40 years old, as are well tuned carbies, but I'm after something a little bit newer as the plan is for this DC to get used and pretty much be my daily driver. I'm going with a Haltech Elite 1500 ECU and Mike from CBB is going to put it all in for me (when I can finally get my DC to him). There will be a coil for each cylinder, the dizzy will go and there will be a custom sensor in it's place that will allow the fuel injection and ignition to be full sequential and direct fire. There will also be a few sensors installed, allowing it to be set up for self tuning, engine protection (shuts down if oil pressure drops) and a fly by wire throttle (off a Subaru) that I'm getting installed.

These clips pretty much give you the idea.

Another potential benefit arising out of a modern ECU controlling everything is that there is potential for remote diagnosis if I do break down. i.e. Plug the laptop in, phone the Mechanic, link the Mechanic in from his computer to mine and he can check what's going on and give me some guidance. This isn't a big sales point for me though as I don't necessarily want to be tied to one Mechanic (and I can't guarantee I'll have my laptop with me and break down during business hours), but it might be handy to have at some point.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    AC-T3 likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Good logic behind the choice ;)

Not sure about the presenter not wearing a seatbelt though :eek:

OSF likes this.
  4. David H

Hi OSF,
    Pretty special bit of kit that F/I with 4 coils:cool:. I'm still trying to get my head around that:confused:;).

Can you help me understand how this varies from L-Jetronic?

It's a kombi so good planning;) but I'm sure with all your planning it never will.
    Cheers

5. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Good choice and has to be one of the best performance/reliability/economy/bolt on upgrades available. I did my '82 back in 2015 with a 4 coil over plug direct fire ignition and full sequential injection (plus cam and compression) and am still smiling with a 60% power/performance increase. And don't worry too much about being held to one mechanic - chances are you won't find yourself having any roadside conversations with your volksie. Confidence will come with time, miles and smiles. My "older" ECU doesn't have the self tuning/dyno/mapping function so would be very interested to hear how this works out. I'm told if you drive it like you stole it then it self tunes for maximum performance but drive it like an old fart then that what you get.

Nice choice.

OSF, Poptop and David H like this.
  6. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Hey David
    My basic understanding of EFI systems and the differences in them is that ultimately it’s all about delivering the right amount of fuel and a spark to each cylinder at just the right time over a range of different engine workloads. Full sequential and direct fire means the fuel and strongest spark possible is delivered to each cylinder and each cylinder only at the exact point when it is needed, as opposed to the older batch or semi-sequential systems where the injectors fire all at once or in pairs and the spark also fires in pairs. I think the L-Jetronic is a batch system where all the injectors fire at once, but I’m not 100% sure. The timing of all of this is controlled by the ECU which in modern systems uses information directly from cam/crank sensors as opposed to older systems which rely on information from the distributor. The modern systems also have newer technology and more inputs and outputs that allow for individual injector and spark control, self-tuning and a bunch of other things such as the addition of a fly by wire throttle. The resulting benefits are increased performance, reliability and less wear and tear on individual components (e.g. spark plugs fire ½ as much).

This explanation is way simplified (as I'm out of my depth with this stuff), though I'm sure someone here will no doubt correct me if I am wrong or be able to fill in the detail/finer points.

Cheers

David H and AC-T3 like this.
  7. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Yes, that's about right. Add the fact that the older EFI systems use an air flow meter with a flappy gate thing and wiper track to measure air flow and talk to the ECU. Very inefficient, very prone to wear, very unobtainable as NOS when original units fail, and very un-rebuildable. Adding a new generation air flow sensor means the engine breathes more easily and gets the precisely correct amount of air for each and every combustion cycle. This ultimately means improved efficiency, performance and economy.

OSF likes this.
  8. David H

Thanks Guys.
    That makes sense & I'd go for one (if I had the money:() given the improvement in performance & wear:).
    So I understand most of what's being said esp re crank/cam senders.
    How do the new air flow meters fit into the system/work?
    Cheers & thanks
    P.S. Pretty sure mine only uses spark after injector has spat in the barrel.
    Are you saying that the spark fires/injector actuates when it doesn't need to:confused:?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018