1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1976 DC Resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by OSF, Oct 22, 2016.

1. pof

pof Member

Hi All - any tips on this engine lid spring? Is this what a '74 had? Engine went in last week it's been spruced up, but this spring now looks rusty and out of place - trying to locate a replacement

Ur bus is looking great btw OSF

Engine lid spring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2018 at 1:50 PM
  2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Is this what your looking for ?

[​IMG]
    Genuine VW linkage cup spring to suit vehicle fitted with a Type 4 2000cc AC engine
    Linkage cup spring. To suit vehicle fitted with a Type 4 2.0 litre AC engine.

3. pof

pof Member

Thanks Wayne - I'll look there

4. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Legal / Other help?

Does anyone have a contact they can refer me to for urgent help understanding my rights when it comes to resolving financial disputes with my restorer and also in retrieving my vehicle from the restorer who may try and not hand it back prior to the resolution of the dispute.

Not going to detail specifics in public, but just looking for some preliminary advice and/or an urgent referral at this point.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Oh ...poop:(. I feel for you. Money being the 'root of all evil' where are you up to in paying him & what is his expectation (How far are you away from each other?)? PM if you wish.
    Not Cheers

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Never nice when it doesn’t work out as planned, for both parties. :(

As I understand it, (and I’m no expert), repairers require payment in full for work performed (or not), before handing over the vehicle, as part of their lien. Any dispute, can then be instigated, but if the vehicle is released to the owner pending a dispute outcome, the lien is then forfeited by the repairer.

It’s also the same in building industry. You have to pay the bill in full, if you want to take possession, to then dispute it, and hope for a successful outcome and some refund.

Seems unfair, but it’s only way to protect businesses from dodgy customers, taking the stuff, and then paying zero, or just a deposit amount.....

First step is a mediation meeting between yourself and the panelbeater, to discuss the bill and the discrepancies, to see if you can resolve and come to an agreement of either further work to be done, or a reduction in the bill, to compensate for work you feel was not done, or overcharged, but perhaps you have already done that, and the outcome wasn’t satisfactory?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  7. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Yeah I get the possessory lien thing. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be that simple at the moment though, as I've very promptly paid all Bill's received to date (and thus I don't believe a lien currently technically exists).

My immediate problem is my restorer is saying I owe him a lot more money, but he hasn't given me an invoice, its proving to be a bit hard for me to get easy access to my vehicle and he's not letting me take it.

I'm not sure I can currently check what he has or hasn't done, I cant review, pay or even negotiate any extra costs and I can't get my car.

The car is booked in to go to CBB for the engine installation on Tuesday and it now looks like this isn't going to happen as I seem to be currently stuck in a bit of a frustrating limbo situation.

I've had initial discussions with Lawyers (I work with a bunch of them), Fair Trading and the Police, but I don't want to formally involve any of these unless I absolutely have to.

My restorer once told me I was his best payer and his wife even told me they wished all their customers were like me.

I'm happy to pay a good price for a good job (as I always have been and always have done), but for some reason the trust seems to have gone and I feel I'm currently being treated very unfairly.

I don't want to go from his best payer to his worst nightmare, but what do you do!

I really do want to achieve an amicable resolution to this situation though, so I'll continue to focus on this and hopefully all will be well.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 2:02 PM
  8. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Ouch!!!! I feel it. Good luck - hoping for a good outcome. Just better get my bus off Mikes dyno to make room.

OSF likes this.
  9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Picture looks as though it is the carburettor return spring :rolleyes: try calling Vintage Vee Dub Supplies in Campsie NSW

10. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Bunnings have got springs that will do the job.
    I have a Bunnings spring on Blit

11. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

An amicable resolution was reached with my restorer last Friday and my DC came home on Saturday.
    It was covered in dust, a bunch of stuff hasn't been done that was supposed to be done, some parts have been lost and some have been installed incorrectly. Some of the work completed is quality, some of it isn't quite up to the standard I require, and there is a few things I'm not sure about yet. Costs for the restorer and I have blown out considerably, we are both thousands of dollars out of pocket, and the job still isn't finished.

More than two years after my DC went off to the restorer, it is now back however and I'm pretty damn happy about this. The big things I couldn't do myself have been done (e.g. rust, bodywork, painting) and a bunch of things I could have done myself but chose not to, have now also been completed. There is still a lot to do, but it's all systems go from here and I'm hoping it will be on the road sooner rather than later.
    20181208_110217 (1024x498).jpg 20181208_110636 (1024x498).jpg

Posts of work completed over the weekend to follow.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018 at 6:35 PM
  12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Euan,
    What great news. I'm so happy for you:). Negotiation is an art & if you could both walk away without the system/bloodsuckers being involved you have both done well & probably saved a s**t load of angst & cost:cool:. Old me says "Any landing you can walk away from is a good one & if you can taxi away it was excellent:D". Survived a few landings in my life & it looks like you just survived one also:p.
    Now to...onwards & upwards & the finish line of completion & enjoying the drive:D. Get stuck into the finish before you're much older;).
    Look forward to some more heartening photos.
    Cheers

13. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Well - at least you have the car and sounds like you are fairly happy

The pain will pass but your smile wil last

14. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Onward and upward. Resolved!

15. Grantus

Better result, than the vehicle withheld, pending a long and expensive legal proceeding......o_O

Put it all behind you, and just move forward. ;)

16. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Yep. Getting on with it is the best way I know how to deal with stuff, so the tools were out and I was into it as soon as it came off the tow truck.

Door Cards
    Dave (Volkstrim) did my front door cards and my restorer had put these in. Dave wasn't able to finish the back cards for me though as we ran out of TMI vinyl (I had bought the last few meters available in Australia at the time) and I decided I'd come back to this later. I need all the cards in for rego though, so I've now put the back ones in temporarily. The back cards are just the raw cards at this stage and I'll come back to these and get them covered to match the front ones once I get the vehicle back on the road. It looks a bit funny now, but it's not permanent and I figure it's probably not a bad thing for my new cards to sit there and "bed in" for a while before I come back and cover them.
    20181211_161643 (498x1024).jpg 20181211_161724 (498x1024).jpg 20181208_160147 (498x1024).jpg 20181208_160240 (498x1024).jpg 20181208_160258 (498x1024).jpg

Grantus likes this.
  17. Grantus

Great you are hooking in. :)

Quick question.......door cards are a roadworthy requirement for registration? Really??? o_O

18. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

I didn't think they would be, thus the reason I wasn't initially too stressed about it when I ran out of the right vinyl. I'm planning for Mike a CBB to do my Blue Slip once he installs the engine however and he told me to get them in, so I did. I guess it could be considered a safety thing and whilst I'm pretty sure someone would give me a Blue Slip without them, I'm more than happy to stick them in there temporarily.

19. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Rear Seat Pedestal / Seat belts / Floor Mat
    There wasn't a lot for me to do here other than swap out a few nuts and bolts, reinstall one of the seat belts fitted incorrectly and put the mat in. I got the mat from Madmatz (UK) and whilst I'm very happy with the quality, the fit is a little bit out. I'll probably come back and modify the mat later as I also have to get something sorted for under the seat (aka what Wayne did), but it's protecting my floor and I'm happy with it for now.

20181208_162123 (498x1024).jpg 20181208_162130 (498x1024).jpg 20181208_162142 (498x1024).jpg 20181208_162242 (498x1024).jpg 20181208_162223 (498x1024).jpg 20181208_162422 (498x1024).jpg 20181208_165246 (576x1024).jpg 20181209_175818 (1024x498).jpg

20. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Trial fitted the Driver's seat and steering wheel
    They both have to come back out again, but I couldn't resist trial fitting the Steering wheel and Driver's seat. The Indicator Arm and Wiper/Washer Arm on the Steering Column was lost by my restorer, so I've now ordered new replacement ones and will have to get these in before the steering wheel goes back on for good. Once again Dave (Volkstrim) did my seats and I'm very happy with them.
    20181209_180013 (1024x498).jpg 20181209_104103 (1024x498).jpg 20181208_181411 (498x1024).jpg 20181208_181526 (498x1024).jpg

21. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Tonneau cover
    My DC will be sitting in my driveway pretty much unprotected from the elements for a couple of days, so I wanted to get the Tonneau cover sorted. Drilling that first hole in the shiny new gates almost killed me (and took ages of measuring and re-measuring to make sure I had it exactly where I wanted it), but it had to be done. The Tonneau cover came from Busware in the USA and I'm pretty happy with it, but again I'll probably modify a few things down the track.

20181210_161314 (1024x498).jpg 20181210_163008 (1024x498).jpg 20181210_172311 (1024x498).jpg 20181210_175844 (1024x498).jpg 20181211_152932 (1024x498).jpg

I also gave my white walls a bit of a clean and put my hubcaps on.