1977 VW Trakka Bronco

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by TRAKKA, May 9, 2017.

1. TRAKKA

TRAKKA Member

9.jpg 26.jpg 31.jpg 46.jpg 71.jpg In 1977 Dave Berry built a very special camper conversion, which we held on to for a couple of years. As I find out more about its features & history, I will share it here.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    bazzamagoo, Borgey, Weekender and 2 others like this.
  2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Keep it coming :)

3. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Nice - what a beast.

I have seen a few of those wheel carriers on the back - I wondered where they came from.

Even has air conditioning and a wench :D

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I think she was just the driver at the time! :rolleyes:

Syncro27 likes this.
  5. Syncro27

I see you got my little joke I slipped in there :p

David H likes this.
  6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure if it was intentional, or a typo.......but yes, it didn't go unnoticed. ;)

7. TRAKKA

TRAKKA Member

56.jpg 57.jpg 97.jpg The Bronco had our first ever 1/2 pop top roof.

We offered this as a new option to the usual 3/4 for those who didn't require a roof bed for other passengers/kids but still needed standing room over the kitchen and extra ventilation at night. Also gave us plenty of room for the roof rack storage!

PICT, Grantus, Weekender and 2 others like this.
  8. TRAKKA

TRAKKA Member

VW Trakka Bronco.jpg VW Trakka Bronco 5.jpg VW Trakka Bronco 6.jpg VW Trakka Bronco 3.jpg VW Trakka Bronco 7.jpg VW Trakka Bronco 8.jpg VW Trakka Bronco 9.jpg VW Trakka Bronco 4.jpg Had a grand plan to sneak some more vintage pics/background but I appear to have lost track of time so will get straight to the point & share more history later...

We had loosely discussed one day owning an old model Trakka again but just didn't have the time to invest in finding one. In April this year Matt (Instagram: @vintage_vdubb) stumbled across an absolute gem. I knew from the pics straight away it was the exact vehicle mum & dad did the 4,200 km trip across SA for 1978 Overlander Mag article (including Strzelecki Track). It was too good an opportunity to pass us by, especially with so much history content on that particular vehicle. Within a few days and with the help of our mate @Grazza7755 this 1977 VW Trakka Bronco was back on Trakka soil, 40 years after building her.

It had 2 owners since new, one being an 84 year old who had bought it from us at a show and about a year ago a lady bought it with a grand plan to renovate it. We think its lucky she didn't, as the conversion itself is in incredible condition and will only need a clean up. We plan to keep it as original as possible.

I can't describe the feeling watching the trailer pulling into the Trakka car park, seeing the roof being popped, seeing dad drive her off the trailer for the first time but also the look of happiness on his face. Looking forward to sharing more of this incredible piece of Trakka history with you guys!

Grantus, bazzamagoo, Diy89 and 3 others like this.
  9. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Is that photo 9 of your dad giving it a cuddle?

10. rstucke

rstucke Active Member

Hi TRAKKA
    Can you still get those Louvre windows in the sliding door and opposite?
    Rick

11. Borgey

Borgey Active Member

Built to last.

TRAKKA likes this.
  12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow it's amazing how well the interior fitout has survived ....... little use by the looks of it :)

TRAKKA likes this.
  13. Syncro27

Sensational - great to see it has come full circle and is still in one piece.

TRAKKA likes this.
  14. TRAKKA

TRAKKA Member

Yes haha!

melissa likes this.
  15. bazzamagoo

bazzamagoo Active Member

Looking great mate. Our interior has held up great as well I am wanting to keep the interior all original because we love the retro feel that it has. All we are hoping to change is the rock n roll bed so that we can have it engineered and certified to be a 4 seater, sink has a slight crack so might try find another one and the fridge needs a fix up (maybe replacement). Its a long shot but you wouldn't still have or know where to get the laminate for the trim. There's a few spots that I wouldn't mind replacing.

Good luck with the resto

Heres the link to ours
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/its-alllllll-happening-mintee-the-77-bays-resto.54144/

TRAKKA likes this.
  16. Happy_Camper

Happy_Camper Active Member

Hey Matt (vintage_vdubb) here.

I couldn't believe the coincidence of when I passed on the link that it was the actual Kombi that your parents travelled in. So happy to see that it's getting a second life in the Trakka family! Can't wait to see the adventures:)

TRAKKA likes this.
  17. TRAKKA

TRAKKA Member

IMG_3119.JPG FIRST DRIVE HOME VIDEO
    First time we brought her home from Trakka! I also have footage of her being driven off the trailer but will upload that at a later date.

Driven by Trakka Prod. Manager & my brother: Alister

bazzamagoo likes this.
  18. TRAKKA

TRAKKA Member

@bazzamagoo awesome!! Was yours the one on Instagram?? Definitely don't have old laminate & will depend on budget but we could try an Australian producer of laminated ply... shoot me an email connect@trakka.com.au (Alex)

bazzamagoo likes this.
  19. bazzamagoo

bazzamagoo Active Member

Yeah that's the one, will email you now

20. rstucke

rstucke Active Member

thanks guys

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017