Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by TRAKKA, May 9, 2017.
A ventilation hole not needed any more.
18 holes in the engine lid to weld up, ready for the next size number plate.
Rebuilding the windscreen opening area.
More steel injection.
Brake caliper paint on the manifolds.
Time for this to come off.
It was a bugger to drill and remove.
Finally off with more mouse holes behind it and not much steel.
Even the cover plate for the sliding door track had rusted and been bogged.
Poor old girl sitting and waiting.
Find the rust, cut it out, make new piece and weld it in.
Next step is repeat the above 20 times.
Left hand front dog leg was history, so new one going in.
On the right hand rear corner panel, the Bronco campers have an external rear spare wheel carrier fitted.
Years of vibration cause this area to fatigue and crack so I made up a threaded curved plate to fit inside and help spread the load.
I had done this on my '79.
Geeez.......... it looked so nice in the early pics
There were some rust holes in the internal floor which I welded up.
The other issue was about 50 small holes from screws holding down flooring and cupboards etc.
All welded up now.
Some angle photos showing front rust repairs all welded up.
Thank goodness for a hoist for these jobs.
The front left B pillar dog leg had a petrol tank filler hole put there.
It was mutually decided that the extra long range tank wouldn't be needed again so we deleted it.
The front taking shape again.
It's quite a job to get all the points to line up on a new front skin.
Perseverance with straps, cutters, hammers and clamps is the only way.
The new front skins only come with left hand drive wiper holes so new mounds had to be panel beated into the skin with holes then for the right hand drive wiper.
The left hand ones stay there and get plugged as per when they were new.
New battery trays welded in both rear corners.
Another bugger of a job because of access limitations.
The inside left rear corner.
Old bog, bad repairs and rust.
Well, I just cut all the bad away, made some good strong plates for the roof strut and tailgate hinge supports and welded them all in.
I was covered in weld splatter but that comes with the fun of restoration.
Separate names with a comma.