1990 Caravelle Idling problem

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by prone, May 6, 2014.

1. prone

prone Active Member

My Caravelle runs perfectly fine when it's moving but when it's at idle it seems to have power surges however this does not happen all of the time. It starts up fine and doesn't have the idling problem when it is cool but after around 20 or so minutes of driving it starts to play up when I'm stopped at traffic lights etc. I don't know if this is related but for some reason when I turn my steering wheel on close to full lock it will just conk out. This has only been happening for the last couple of days however it does seem to progressively be getting worse and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions of what it could be and if so how it could be fixed. I've booked it in at my mechanic however that is around two weeks away. Unfortunately I am not very mechanically minded however I am keen to learn :)
    Cheers

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  3. prone

prone Active Member

Thanks, it's an Auto. I just looked at that part on van cafe and it sounds like it could possibly be this. I'll check the connections in the light tomorrow.

4. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day prone before I converted mates syncro to ej20 turbo it had an idle problem at the time there was a replacement wiring harness that went from the afm I think to the harness it was about 6 to 8 inches long this rectified the problem it was a factory free replacement at the time this could be you fault I could be wrong but just a suggestion but worth following up.
    ernie

5. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I had similar issues with the '89 Syncro though it is manual. I managed to get the said wiring harness and installed it. So far (2,500 km) I have not had any further issues. I was lucky though as Nick at Volksparts here in Bungendore just happened to have one of the VW originals. I don't know where you can get one now.

Ian

6. prone

prone Active Member

Thanks guys. I'll have to try and track down this wiring harness. Hopefully they are not too hard to find.

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

You may already have it.

8. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day prone. Try Klaak motors out at Fairfield. only a couple of weeks till national maybe someone with a stall can help you also Alex from Toowoomba is on here he might have 1 I will give the bloke I got mates off & see if they have 1 nos. I think from memory they had a tag on it
    ernie

9. prone

prone Active Member

I've just checked and I don't have it. I'm hoping that it is this as it should be quite an easy fix. I appreciate your help roverbay. I'll check out the places that you mentioned and will also try my luck at the nationals. Cheers

10. Luckyphil

Always plenty ov Vanagon Syndrome wiring harnesses available on www.thesamba.com

11. chewtah

chewtah Guest

Its extraordinary what can do it, maybe air leaks, even look at both ends of the the vacuum brake booster hose, any vacuum hose getting loose through age/fallen off.
    If the hose is long enough, a cheap fix is to cut 10mm off the end of it.
    There is an idle part to it and a open throttle part, one is in play when the other isnt so the problem comes back when its idling.
    Id be looking at the cold start injector too.

I they are not working right they can dribble fuel into the inlet all day,and its unmetred by the engine management.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
  12. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day all. spoke to cricks in Maroochydore were we got the mates their going to email me so will let you know the outcome.
    ernie

13. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Back again good thought on vacuum leak run the van & spray around hose ends with wd40 will create increase in idle speed indicating a leak.

14. Luckyphil

Id like to check my "cold start injector" could you please tell me where it is located on a VW 2.1 waterboxer

15. chewtah

chewtah Guest

Now, If its got one a lot of motors do,some dont.

It will be at the end of a fuel pipe and two wires somewhere on the inlet manifold.It could look like an injector or a probe.
    The one on the Cressida was underneath the manifold, pointing up. Any part on an engine can play up.

16. Luckyphil

Hey Chewtah, I know you are trying to help but people on this forum are looking for help regarding VW's so it would be helpful NOT to provide info if it dosnt relate to VW's as it will only confuse.

17. prone

prone Active Member

Thanks for the info. I've ordered the harness, power steering sensor and oxygen sensor from van cafe. Those guys are great and have a huge range. I'm hoping that one of these parts fixes the issue and it won't hurt to replace the other parts that I've ordered too :)

18. philthy

philthy New Member

I have a similar problem on my 1990 (auto) Caravelle: stalls when I turn steering wheel to full lock and stalls in reverse if I release the accelerator too quickly. Is this something that a new 02 sensor or the power steering sensor would fix? I'd love to hear how you go, because that is the final gremlin that needs to be ironed out...

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  19. farquire

farquire Member

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=356377
    i have a 90 syncro which does all the above problems from time to time,i've used this procedure that i got off the samba and have had success with it ,with mine its basically the air flow meter is stuffed and the carbon trace very worn which gives the wrong readings to the ecu, you can move the trace slightly but from my experience it doesn't last long ,and even the smallest adjustment changes your idle and mixtures a lot ,when i have done this and got everything to the specs my van runs like a dream for 4000-5000 ks and then slowly goes crap again,should replace the air flow meter but thinking of going subaru so i play with it,anyway have a look at the link
    mike