1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1999 Passat 2.8 V6 Variant??? Any Good?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dubman, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Hi all am thinking of getting one for a daily driver... found one for a good price and in good nick.... any one had any experience with them, I haven't heard any bad things through work (Auto Parts) and finding a second hand review in Australia online is proving a waste of good browsing time.

Thanks in advance

Nathan

2. BryceBusDriver

BryceBusDriver Member

I had a 1999 1.8L Turbo that I sold to fund my type 3 project and in turn my kombi. Had 220K's on it and still drove beautifully. Definitely will get another in the future as a daily. I love old VW's but the Passat was luxury! Major service costs are one downfall as it had one just before I bought it and cost $1600. Other parts were quite easy to come by and not hugely expensive though. I now drive a 1990 Laser, bit of a downgrade. I miss the leather underneath my butt!

3. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

The way I figure it my wives Astra (soon to be gone) cost more than that for Major services plus the stupid "issues" that it has that are costly repair I am prob still in front, not to mention being in the spare parts industry so a major service only costs me the staff rate on parts and basics rates for labor...(for now at least until the job changes)

Just curious if there is any know problems with them.... My Astra has a common list of issues...a long list at that.

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

5. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Will check it out Melissa thanks

Thought about calling Matt as hes only down the road (sort of) being the weekend I thought I'd leave it till during the week
    Was hoping for a few real world owners type opinions too.

Am getting rather keen for this car it has all the kit and suits my needs perfectly... the only other niggling thing in the back of my mind is switching to front wheel drive I personally have always had Rear or All wheel drive cars... my wifes Astra is fine as a FWD but I have never been a fan of the on road feel.... but I am yet to test drive the Passat so who knows. I am just being picky though....

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  6. marcus

marcus Member

I've had a lot of close experiences with vw's around that era as I was a recommended body repairer for a vw dealer.

Personally i think all of them around those years are a bit dicey, they were new, so i can only imagine what they would be like now. Personally i would steer clear of it, like any car though, you can be very lucky or extremely unlucky.

Just my opinion.

7. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Well did a bit more research, spoke with Matt at Camden GTI who says that series with the Triptronic Autos where renowned for issues. So I thought I'd give the Dealer selling it a ring to find out service history and more about car etc he response was "Nath I'd love to let you come see this car as shes a beaut however due to some mechanical faults I can't sell it at the moment" "Oh yeah" I replied " Whats wrong with it?" "Its got a fault in the Transmission I hope to have it fixed soon" Turns out poor fella had traded it in, was fine on trade in... loved it so thought he'd drive it for a few days whilst he had it advertised. Then the problem showed up.... hes now removed the ad from Carsales from what I can tell.... so there goes that idea as Matt was saying that the fix is an expensive one so I doubt a dealer is going to spend more than the cars worth to fix it properly....... off to look for something else..... maybe a Liberty Wagon or Forester me thinks....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  8. marcus

marcus Member

Good idea!

I bought an 06 Liberty and love it so much, its absolute luxury compared to the kombi! but what isnt!

They are extremely low though and i often find myself belting the tow bar entering and exiting average driveways, in that regard i wish i got a forester. The forester is a bit more practical, the liberty is a bit more refined.

9. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

I owned a 96 Liberty Touring Wagon it was a special edition with the outback type Blue and Champagne paint scheme and all the power options, fantastic car to drive and for over 11 years and 270000+K's it never missed a beat, apart from usual maintenance it never cost me more than a tank of fuel. Kinda wish I had kept it now though. The timing belts are a bit costly but overall it was cheaper over 11 years than the Astra has been in 5, its had a coil pack blow, a thermostat go, various pulleys give up, Clock spring need replacement twice, and its timing belt has way shorter intervals than just about any car on the road. The list no doubt will go on, but convincing my wife to upgrade is proving a hassle for some reason she still likes it?

Outbacks the best of both world Liberty Size Forester height.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011