1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 lt Engine married to 1800 gearbox

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by chrisbarberqld, Aug 30, 2008.

1. chrisbarberqld

chrisbarberqld New Member

Looking at upgrading my 1800 in my 75 Bay to a new 2lt but was told that a 2lt gearbox would be better suited. The 1800 gearbox will fit but has different gearing. Has anyone put a 2lt motor in and used the original 1800 gearbox. Suggestions welcomed. Will post some pic's of my van soon. Currently she is stripped out and is getting all new seats and she will look very pretty when it is finished.

2. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I used to have the original gearbox in my kombi (a 3-rib 002, often referred to as a "1600" box) matched to a type 4 engine (1800). We have since replaced the gearbox with a 5-rib 002 (often referred to as an "1800" box); we assumed the gearing inside would better suit the 1800. Woger now has a slightly higher top speed (probably because the innards of the last box were shot), but doesn't appear to accelerate quite as fast (but that might just be my imagination - most of the ratios are the same).

The gearbox cases, as you suggest, are essentially the same - it is impossible to tell the gearing in the box from the outside. It is therefore possible that a replacement "2 litre" box may actually not lead to an improvement (especially if the original box is in better condition). With modified shaft/flywheel you should be able to use the 1800 box without too many problems.

I pinched this list of ratios from another forum:

"Kombi ratios 1600 ------- 1700-------- 1800---------- 2000

---1st 3.80:1---------3.80:1-------3.80:1--------3.78:1

---2nd. 2.06:1---------2.06:1--------2.06:1-------2.06:1

---3rd 1.26:1---------1.26:1--------1.26:1-------1.26:1

---4th 0.82:1---------0.82:1--------0.89:1--------0.88:1

--- Reverse 3.62:1---------3.80:1--------3.80:1--------3.79:1

----Final drive 5.375:1 --------5.375:1-------4.851:1-------4.57:1

As you can see gear ratios are very similar with final drive or diff ratio having greatest in 1800 and 2000cc models.
    Diffs ( crown wheel and pinions) can be changed more cheaply than transmissions.
    This is one reason why the VW transaxle in all forms was very popular
    in open wheel race cars and the Hewland box that was even used in F1, F2, and F3 in early days was developed from the humble VW transmission.

Clutch and flywheels also differ but these can also be altered between models-mainly to suit starter motor pinions."

3. Bombjedd

Bombjedd New Member

I have a 2 Litre motor and an 1800 gear box and it runs like a dream. The only difference I have been told is that it revs a little higher but not much and I don't notice anything.

4. 2tone

2tone Member

I have an 1800 box with A 2Litre engine and she goes great, i've read on here before that its ideal if you've got a camper as it helps pull the extra weight. you should do a search there is a discusion somewhere on here about it.

tony

5. 2tone

2tone Member

hey van housing where did you get the avatar from. i can never find any that fits on this forum (pixels & KB's)

6. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

It's from a design by Craig (The Invisible Smith), and is of our kombi Woger. Alice and I should receive our matching his 'n' her t-shirts in the next couple of days. :)

Here's the link:
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=13150

I use the free program ACDSee to resize my pix to 80x80 before uploading them (you can also select the compression factor). If you are having problems, just PM (or email) me the pic and I'll resize it for you. :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Have been running a 2 l engine with 1800 gearbox for a while. Only engine and gearbox still running at the time I fitted them. Not a straight bolt on. Need to change flywheel, starter motor to make it work. Also the gearshift connector rod (the front bit that connects to the gearlever) to get the right lenght. I had a donor vehicle so I had all the bits. Drives alright but I always look for another gear. Just in thye process of fitting a 2 litre motor and box into Schmett and looking forward to the extra legs on the highway.

8. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Janie has a 2 litre engine with an 1800 box. She goes like a dream - really pulls along, no struggling on hills whatsoever.

Baz

9. vinny

vinny Active Member

Martha has a 2L box married to a 1600 engine, haven't had it running yet but previous owner said it went well about 8 years ago
    i have been told my Pete at Custom vee dub that it would be fine, another said it would heat up the heads too much. anyone else have any opinions ?
    cheers

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  10. vwvic

vwvic New Member

I've got a 2l on an 1800 box,goes great.It does rev a bit high when doing 100 or 110 km/h but I just cruse at 90 and let all these modern cars whizz by while I enjoy the scenery.
    The flywheel and clutch do have to be changed to make it fit.It doesn't miss but much.The 2l flywheel fits in the gearbox but it wont turn over.
    I found this out the hard way.

11. I had an 1800 to a 2.0 engine for 5 years. I found it felt a bit more peppy though the hills and ducking in and out of third in comparison to the 2.0litre box. There is a slight fuel trade off I guess. Give it a go as is and see how you like it I guess. You will need to change the fly, but it's no big deal. Can't recall if I changed the starter ...