1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2011 Narooma Bus Stop Wrap up

Discussion in 'Kombi Club Bus Stop 2011' started by melissa, Apr 26, 2011.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Another fantastic turn out - does it get any better? I am so very grateful that you all have the faith in my efforts to get us together each year and you continue to turn up! From as far away as Tassie - as far north as Queensland - from South Australia and Victoria - from NSW and even Dingo who came in from overseas - to meet up with everyone again makes our annual trip so worthwhile. We are such a diverse group - but that makes it even better. I must send out a huge thanks to Roy - without his support of this forum, we would not have had the chance to all meet. We all gave you a cheer on Saturday night and wished you and Anita could have been there to join us.

As far as I know, this year we were very lucky to not have any major breakdowns - although it could boil down to us being prepared and knowing our vehicles.

Necro - we missed you dearly but understand and we congratulate you and Jeda on the arrival of your baby son. Thank you for the prizes you donated for best costumes. We took the impartial option and asked the barmaid to choose -
    Best Dressed Adult - John Doherty as the Cardinal and Tam (other half of Mordred) as his Cardinal Sin won the Necro Industries Steering Wheel Cover
    Best Dressed Child - was Sienna (the junior member of Syncro27) who won a pair of LED poi as she was the cutest Cinderella.

Now some of those costumes... John (KombiKapers) as a cheerleader - you are a brave man! Kath and Kim - pure gold! Lots of cowboys and cowgirls, cats, cops - the Keystone Cops were clever - chefs, cooks, - surprise surprise - only ONE kombi! - a couple of Clark Kents, Cleopatras, cheerleaders, a Kombi Calendar - as for the "Couple" hmmm... what do I say?

I am amazed that no one else has put up about next years Bus Stop location. I put it to the gathering at the Narooma Services Club if anyone would like to take over the organising of next year's Bus Stop and choice of location..... there were no takers so you are stuck with me again. As we have had NSW three times, ACT and SA it left VIC and QLD as the most likely choices. It was put to the room that as next year was a Valla year, we will be going to VICTORIA and the following year, we will go to QUEENSLAND.

So now with some help from some locals, we will have some details soon of location - stay tuned.

2. melissa

Thank you to Lorraine and Andy and Judy and Mick for organising the convoy down from the north. That was a lovely park at Werri Beach - shame about the Tom Tom - seems the GPS had it in for us on the weekend with Dave and Marnie striking the same problem just before we got to Narooma.

The caravan park at Narooma - what a lovely spot - its a shame they split us up and put us all over the park - certainly made me walk a mile many times over the weekend! It really is a beautiful area. The club let us down with arrangements being made for transport with one person but that person not passing on the details - having the bus driver in a bad mood did not help.

This adds fire to choosing a park that has its own function room so that we dont have to travel - we found it worked the best at Canberra but I have never been able to find a park again that had the same facility - maybe next year in Victoria we could get lucky again.

Thanks to our good sport award winners again:-

Alpal - The Racemaster Award
    Sharon (Peacefam) - The Running On Empty Award - yes she ran out of petrol but dont tell anyone - shhhh
    John Doherty - The Most Eloquent Posts
    Wes (Dingostrategy) - The Foreign Correspondant Award
    Jay (Greenbay) - The Procrastinator Award
    Cornish and Lyn (Golfy) - The Committed Queenslanders Award
    Necro - The KC Baby Award

(I think that was all - I cant remember right now - been a long day)

3. greenbay

greenbay New Member

no major breakdowns ????halfway up the mountain between batemans bay and braidwood my alternater light came on then my fuel guage snuffed it,next i lost indicators,when we finally got to the top and found a spot to stop i checked stop lights and headlights,no go.with about 5 hours to go including the drive thru sydney in the homebound easter traffic (not fogetting that it would be dark before we got home) i was heading for a nervous breakdown :cry: .after a quick check of the engine bay (all wiring looks fine)i had a peak at the fuse box.....one fuse on passenger floor and one half way out shorting between 2 fuse holders.my lovely neen had been resting her feet a bit high and knocked the fuse box accidently:wtf: :lol:

4. melissa

More thanks need to be sent out to John and Christine for travelling over from the top of WA (they are originally from the Central Coast). John makes the stickers for each Bus Stop - he is so talented and we missed you last year - so glad you could make it this year and I really hope you will be back next year.

Also thanks go out to Alpal and Adrian for playing electrics and putting my fuel gauge back the way it should be - along with Adrian fixing my cigarette lighter so I can charge things again.
    I promise not to ask you again next year! :lol:

5. melissa

Sorry Jay - I had no idea about your fuse drama! I hope its all good again.

The only other problems I knew about were Wes' accelerator cable which was fixed by Adrian on the way there and then fixed properly with the spare I had under my front seat and the loss of power by Craig and Veronica in SKEG which was a group effort.

6. Trav&Ren

Trav&Ren Member

Thanks to you Melissa for organising another great event.
    It's well worth the drive and a great way to spend Easter.

Trav, Ren & Rubens
    (and Marvin the Kombi)

7. melissa

Thank you for making the effort to come along. Very glad you enjoyed yourself and I hope to see you again next year :D

8. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

it was a radical weekend! spewin bout the surf though. not as much aquatic therapy as i was hoping for, but we did get to smack a few small windswept lips.
    Patty and i really enjoyed meeting all the weird and wonderful people of the KC multi-verse, and look forward to catching up with you all again.

Thanks one and all for the kickass weekend.

9. melissa

It was lovely to meet you both Brad and Patty - maybe the three of you will be there next year? ;)

10. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

yeah! we will rock up to show off our new little bundle of awesomeness!

11. peace_fam

peace_fam Member

Thanks for organizing an Awesome Bus Stop Melissa. As Bus Stop Virgins i was a little nervous coming and not knowing anyone. All i can say is Kombi people are all totally:D wonderful people. Lianna has advised me she is definately coming on all future Bus Stops in our 'Road Runner' until she gets her own. Seems we have another Kombi coming into the family in the next few years.

I loved meeting everyone. looking at all the different setups in vehicles and for camps. The advice before hand was invaluable.

Thanks to Adrian when i 'ran out of fuel'. Hmmm, at least it was going down hill 200m from a petrol station:eek: \. The red face was mine when i found out that the tank is 50l (and i got 48.5 l in)- not the 60l i thought. Must look at getting a new sender for my fuel gauge.

Thanks again to everyone for your welcome and for a great time. We'llbe at Bus Stop next year for sure!

Sharon, Lianna and Sabrina:)

12. melissa

It was lovely to meet you and the girls, Sharon. Poor Adrian - it was you that told me about the fuel!! LOL - we were talking about how I had had 4 X T3's and 3 of them have had gauges that didnt work - dont worry - you are in great company with being the proud owner of the Running on Empty award - and you performed it with such skill - rolling into a petrol station!!! LOL

Even my Emily now wants a Kombi - as long as its automatic.

13. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

One more little breakdown. Woz and Alice are in Nowra with a fried regulator and a boiling battery. From the facebook post they are getting some help from some of the local vw boys so shoulnt be stopped for too long. They have had so much bad luck this run with the dog and its associated expense, lets hope this isnt a major issue, and they get going quickly.

Cheers

Adrian

14. Patches

Patches New Member

2011 Bus Stop

Many thanks Melissa for creating the oportunity for us to meet so many wonderful souls.
    The drive, the location, the weather and the company were THE BEST.
    We had a faultless trip with the temp gauge hard right at the top of THE hill out from Batemans Bay. Got to Canberra with an hour to see the Rajah Quilt at the Museum.
    See you next time.
    Peter and Rosalee

15. Justin

Justin Active Member

nah im not jealous . . .

im not jealous at all . . .

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

16. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I can only add my thanks to the list of grateful people for your efforts in pulling together a wonderful weekend.
    I thought I my Kombi might have had a hernia on the way home up the clyde with 900kg of pavers I picked up in Moruya on the way home!! 1st gear most of the way up the hill but made it eventually !!

It was wonderful to meet so many great people including my wifes best friend from highschool. You've got to be careful what you do at these things you never know who you'll meet ;)

You did forget two awards Melissa!
    Yours for producing such a terrific event and the "mine is bigger than yours award" ;)

Can't wait for next year!!

Bernie

17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I only breezed in for lunch on Sunday, but it was great to meet some members I've not met before, and catch up with the ones I have met previously. :)

Looked like an awesome weekend, and full credit to the time and energy Melissa puts in to organise these events. You are a star Mel! :heart:

Well worth the 560kms round trip... ;)

18. Kombi Kapers

Kombi Kapers Active Member

Melissa,
    Many thanks for organising such a fun event (again). Great part of the world, great venue, and great company.

Highlights were -
    Catching up with lots of old friends and meeting lots of new friends Moe, Kai, Terese, Bernie and others....
    Beach party round the open fire (despite the rain showers), Jay and Moe on guitar.....
    Late night quiet drinks with new friends.....
    Sat night costume party, lots of fun, loved Count Dracula.

See you all next year. John

19. melissa

The one and only post for the year. Well Bus Stop number 5 is over. Stopped at Gerringong on the way. Thanks Lorraine , Andy , Mick and Judy. Another top time which started of slowly with the park putting us all over the place which made for long walks all over the place. Kieran ( Smoo ) you are forever banned from going anywhere near fine wine. The fancy dress party was a great night. I knew Melissa was reluctant to continue on with the organisation of this event due to various things posted on here and personal messages received about where this events location should be. No one else put there hand up but she received great support from a large number of members ready to help out when they can. ( Some , they know who they are, already have done for the last 5 years). The fire on the beach was a top time and possibly the longest campfire jam ever had. My fingers were bleeding by the end of it. I walked in the door of our cabin at 5.45am and missed the cruise and photos. I will never live this down and certain un-named people will not let me forget it. The next couple of nights were quiet talking to the Kombi people and having a great time. Good to go for a surf with Beerdoc and then stop at the Million Dollar View Pub for a couple of quick ANZAC Day beers. What a classic when the Bar Manager chipped Doc for having bare feet in the Pub. Doc has then gone out and found a pair of pink crocs in Melissa's Splitty, put them on and has gone back into the bar and showed the Manager the shoes. She thought they were great. ( See pics later). Anyway, good to catch up with everyone again and see you all next year at Falls Creek. HA HA. Cheers, Scott.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  20. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Thanks for such a great event. Dad and I had a blast! Can't wait to do it all again next year! With a less smokey kombi and a mattress on the bed instead of wood and metal.

Cheers
    Kai and Moe