2013 ReVOLKS with photos

Discussion in 'Victoria' started by Tangles, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

It looked a bit like this early Friday ...
    [​IMG]
    But later looked a bit like this - with more buses out of shot
    [​IMG]
    There were splitties
    [​IMG]
    Some were happier than others (edit:"and some were just a bit nutty in the background!)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  2. Tangles

Happy is a man with a splitty
    [​IMG]
    They don't mind panels in this part of the world
    [​IMG]
    And then this very awesome late bay turned up, turning heads all round .......
    [​IMG]
    Happy also is a man with a shiny bay back on the road and not in Adelaide ..............
    [​IMG]

3. Tangles

Music by George done the proper way
    [​IMG]
    And they do say that nowdays Kombis are driven by young romantics.
    [​IMG]

Trouble
    [​IMG]

These were just from the camp which I managed not to leave except on foot for the entire weekend. I'm sure there will be cruise photos and the geelong foreshore show from a few others. Pity we couldn't have had Saturdays weather for both days but it was a blast all round. Fantastic to meet some personalities from here and find out they really exist outside of cyberspace.

Huge thanks to Beerdoc for making this all happen and a great sat night at cuda bar. Love your work !

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Brian, thanks for the pics !! Nice to see familiar faces getting out & about........

Hey JD, I only have one word my friend........SHINY........:cool: Looks like the wait was well worth it.
    Can't wait to catch up with you guys in Griffith2014 & The Crossing.
    I wish that I had a teleporter on-board to make the distances shrink....that way i could be at every event, no matter where...
    Cheers,
    Mark

5. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pics Brian , on the boat now on my way back to tas..work tomorrow whrn I get off the boat in the morning arrrr

will post some pics tomorrow night including two rare things

Elvis snd wait for it ....a worlds first...

As I have proof with a picture ...

A 1976 2lt aircooled kombi which is WATER HEATED

a water heated (not cooled ) kombi lol

and it's a fellow kc member as well

any guesses who's it is ?

6. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Obviously whoever it was who peed the bed:lol:

7. Tangles

There were rules about not carrying a beer. They were followed.
    [​IMG]
    A bit lax about following other rules...
    [​IMG]

8. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Lol no...nobody wet the bed..that I know of anyway

this will get ur brain working...

The hot water was needed inside the engine bay to get it going!

That's true...will post up the pic tomorrow and why an aircooled engine needed hotwater to make it work

9. Steve_D

Steve_D Member

I was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the water heated kombi. Certainly a complicated set up!

10. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Fantastic week-end though and a big thanks to Rosco and Doc for putting it all together.

In the rush to hit the road this morning, there were several people I would have liked to have caught up with........... and didn't:umm: I can't believe just how fast the time flew! My apologies to you all and hopefully we'll catch up again at Griffith where the return journey will begin in a more leisurely fashion.

And to Doc, thank you for diagnosing my steering problem in under an amazing 2 seconds:) I was a bit shocked at how bad the drag link ball joint was when he pointed it out to me. Also explains the "clunk" I've been getting from the steering when parking!

As I said, a fantastic week-end. Great to catch up with old friends and meet new ones, all with a common interest in everything VW. The sad part is that Revolks came and went way too fast and we have to wait another 12 months for the next one, but Doc is already making plans:lol:

11. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Few snaps from Saturday.
    Traffic in Lorne
    [​IMG]
    Line-up at Deans Marsh
    [​IMG]
    Tailgaters
    [​IMG]

12. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Sunday run to Geelong.
    Traffic jam at Lorne
    [​IMG]
    Arrived and lined up with the Bays
    [​IMG]
    Necro's wares on display. Nice!
    [​IMG]
    Bug Bums
    [​IMG]
    Great Weekend. The Restaurant was a success. Good to catch up with the interstate wanderers.
    Thanks to Doc and Rosco. Lets do it again next year!

13. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Thanks Alan, now placed where it should be. Will get some pics sorted a bit later.

We made it home safe and sound, Cookie never missed a beat, Was great catching up with old friends You all know who you are wthout putting all the names here. Also finally meeting a couple of new one, Col and Brian Tangles. There was heaps other but names well when my age they hard to remember. Windy as on the way home and rain, we came home the windy coast way. I have about 4 pics on my camera and mob phone, have been able to get them on FB kombi club, will try and get them on here tomoz. Thanks Doc for organising the site.

Hey Col, i have a message to you from Tereas Bealey. Check your messages.

14. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Much fun in the line for the boat with Martin. I lost count of how many times his line moved forward and back in relation to ours. We ended up ahead of him after lining up after him but in the morning after another set of back and forth he finally cleared quarantine ahead of us. Hope he got some sleep in his recliner as we were rocked fairly hard for most of the trip.

Adrian

15. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Wow!…… What a weekend.
    Have just got through Monday and now, with the heat off, can sit back and contemplate the amazing 72 hours that has just passed.

So much for the early start Friday!?
    Managed to finally flee Adelaide at 10 AM. I have had "the resurrection" for all of three days after having been dismantled the eight months. She used to be reliable, so long as I didn't spend money on her. That has certainly changed.

My associates accused me of irrational behaviour and offered short odds on me not making it to the Victorian border.
    10 hours later I was driving into the Lorne caravan park.

With mobile phone turned off, a glorious Golden sunset at my back (and helpful wind) the stereo (and giant AMP under the bed) cranked up so loud, I looked like a Mirage shimmering down the ridiculous B class backroads of Victoria.
    With the haunting refrain of…… "… Unchained Melody…" At mega-decibels and me alternatively singing at the top of my voice/sobbing my head off...... I presented a horrifying sight to oncoming motorists.…….But I think I have never ever been happier

What a collection of Kombis and an even greater treasure of their drivers. As always, Friday night a biggie….An absolute delight and reaffirmation of human nature to catch up with these people.

Saturday was blessed with perfect weather and the new dinner arrangements for Saturday night and the" Arthur" award was perfect.

BierDoc and Rosco may present as a pair of knockabout lovable rascals but their ability to firstly control a bar/restaurant full of boisterous types, and then regale, inform and entertain as well as they both did, more than hints at a superior intellect…… No matter how hard they may try to conceal it

Oh,…… And by the way, BierDoc became emotional (once again) when talking about his late dad....just gotta love that schmaltz from an ersatz Kombi warrior and would be surf Nazi

Sunday, dawned grey and pregnant with the dismal tears of departure. Easy decision for me not. To do the cruise to Geelong given the weather.
    Left Lorne at 10:30 AM and pulled into my driveway at 9:30 PM that night.

1645 km round trip.

The only incident was the automatic transmission jamming in Park when I stopped on a slope in the campground. Once again, thank you cBus/Col.

What is it about Geelong boys and their splitties.? A very high percentage of them all clustered in " Splitty Corner "with their incredible colour schemes, and exhausts reminiscent of a Fokker triplane starting up on a cold winter's morning on the Somme.

Watching BierDoc and the boys reminded me of a docco I saw once of the Baron von BierdocHoffen. And his flying Circus.

As attractive as the various Kombis are, their pilots are the true stars of weekend………….And this is why I spent 20 hours out of the last 72… Driving.
    All my KC friends were there, thankfully all apparently in good health and cheer. I don't think they will ever know how much pleasure I get from listening to their banter, life stories and inebriated humour. In my normal life (emphasis on "normal"), I would have no time and given my shallow view on the world, less inclination to spend time with them. That would have been my loss.

Anyhow……….To all of you whom I spent time with… Or spent time with me, thank you so much for making my weekend. I can't believe what an interesting lot we all are in these odd and infrequent gatherings.
    I hit the day running this morning, and am now feeling knackered. I'm also feeling content, pleased and warmed by the aforesaid social intercourse/laughter. Hope you all got home intact and in just as good spirits as myself.

Absent any forthcoming gatherings, you will be spared my adolescent cyber-excitement while I disappear back into my dark world. Anticipate an escalation in posting from me, next year, when bus stop beckons!

Until then……….Via con Dios…amigos.

JD back in Adelaide

16. kombiwomble

kombiwomble Active Member

Today is momentous. Sapphire made it to the big island AND back without the use of a tow truck, mechanical skill or oil spill - let alone engine rebuild. I am not certain about those who claim that Bass Straight rocky crossing as I slept like the dead exhausted after a week away with my Main Man.
    Although tired and weary, the experience does inspire a glimmer of hope for future travels with the kombi clan.

To the reVolks clan - the "I don't do anything" will not wash - without your enthusiasm and personable nature the weekend would not be the success that it is. There are lots of friendly faces, humorous jibes and the cruising - something for everyone. I certainly hope that the budget fairies are with me to make the journey possible again.

17. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Ok some pics i took whilst at Lorne and in no particular order here they come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Still coming

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. BrianK