1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

240V Protection

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by CoffsKombi, Aug 31, 2008.

1. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I agree. I think that it was a backward step when they allowed electricians to self assess back in the 80s.

All caravan parks in NSW require leads to be legal, but it is not enforced.

Nowadays you can buy diy kits for "soft wiring" in vans. A bit of a grey area legally and could be very unsafe.

2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I haven't heard the term self assess? If a sparky tests his own equipment and tags it with his details he is responsible for it. If he wires a building and he signs it off to be compliant he risks his licence if there is ever any issues found. They run audits on random installs to make sure it is compliant, and if any incident occurs he still has his name on the job and is responsible.

Dont see a problem there.

Adrian

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

In NSW there is no record of which electrician has done the installation. The supply authority used to have inspectors that checked the work every time. I know a few electricians and none of them has had an audit. There is a lot of dodgy work around.

Not all electricians are licenced to tag as it is a separate qualification.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. Mordred

AAAH there is the difference. In Tas electricians do sign off their own work (by self assessing i suppose) and all work has to have a notification of work done and by whom given to the client and a record kept by the electrician. We still have inspectors that inspect work although not every job. Very nasty if they find anything. Big fines and then have to have every job inspected.

Adrian

oldman likes this.
  5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I'm an electrician (not licenced for buildings) but I have had to rewire most of the additional work done on my house. A light had the active from circuit 1 and the neutral to circuit 2. It's only that I am an electrician that I picked this up. Most people would only find out after somebody died.

I have never seen an electrician do a maximum demand calculation since the self assessment.

The old method of supply authority testing was a good method.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    oldman likes this.
  6. Mordred

Been a sparky for almost 35 years, not on the tools per se for the past 10. The inspector method still missed a lot, so I don’t think it has made a huge amount of difference. Btw supply authority inspectors only ever checked major installs. A lot of the problems found are with the alterations and additions. No one has ever checked those.

Adrian

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I thought you were an auto electrician.

I remember the inspections on my house for extra power circuits, garage, lighting. I think that any addition was supposed to be inspected in NSW. Never got a defect. I was a sparky for 44 years and had to deal with tools.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  8. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I'm an auto sparky (amongst other quals)
    I've done test and tag (Did a course for qual under test n tag for competent person) for some years now
    I've seen a sh#*T load of stuff that's dangerous. Arguments, arguments. So I only do my own stuff now.
    I let people know where I go, they can have there leads tested ( I carry a PAT unit with me and the stickers for the leads)
    I believe a lot of this is hokum as no authority does any checking. But I would guarantee If something happened to an article I verified, I'd be toast.

9. Mordred

The test and tag system has a lot of issues, but the most obvious one is it may be fine when it was tested, but you can tag it and 5 mins later someone damages it, or modifies it, and it is not safe anymore. Is the inspector liable? I can’t see how as it was compliant at the time he inspected it.

I am sure the intent was to make sure things were checked from time to time by a suitably qualified person, but it cannot guarantee that it is compliant between inspections.

Anyway, I think we have made our point.

Adrian

syncro and oldman like this.