1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2L T2 vs 2.1L T3 fuel consumption ?

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by blk56, Dec 21, 2010.

1. blk56

blk56 Member

Hi all
    Just tossing up whether to get a T2 or T3 kombi and would like to know if someone has both and what is better on fuel ( probably been asked 100 times now ) .
    I have been told that the 2.1 T3 can be pretty thirsty but I would imagine that a 2L T2 would not be much better

Thanks

2. devon

devon Member

I had a t3 Caravelle and it drank 15lts for every 100k's, too thirsty for me:rolleyes:

3. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

The condition of the engine, how well it is serviced and maintained, the manner it which it is driven, etc probably matters more than the model.

As the aircooled engine was phased out due to emissions control, I would expect the watercooled engines to be slightly better on economy than their aircooled equivalent all other things being equal. (T3s are heavier though, and the wasserboxer engine replaced the aircooled around 84).

4. I have a 2.1 T3 caravelle '89 model that uses 11 litres per 100kms. most of my driving however is straight running at approx 100 km/hr. My previous 2.1 T3 transporter got similar results. Both where 5 speed manuals.

Have a friend who has a aircooled transporter with twin webbers & gets about 19-20 litres per 100.

hope that helps.

Cheers

Brendan

5. wbx4me

wbx4me Member

if you are really concerned abou fuel cost ..... go for LPG ...
    I get 14-15L/100km - T3 2.1 auto with LPG injection

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I have a pair like that! :wtf:

Although, if empty, and I change gear sooner and keep the revs below 3,000, they get around 11.8l per 100kms. ;)

7. ahoogah

ahoogah New Member

I have an 89 with ej22 subaru and get 12.5 litres per 100 km or 8 km/litre and I don't take it easy.
    Walk 8km to save $1.50 ?
    I don't think so.

8. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

Got to agree with Grant, I get about the same from Wanda The White Wedge.
    Depends how you drive.
    Sometime in the new year I'll be able to comment further as we're about to take OSI The Kamper out to 2 point something litres with some trick bits (with luck) :wtf:

9. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I get between 13 and 15 l/100 out of my '82 T3 at present. In the new year I intend to change all that by swapping from the aircooled to a 2l diesel.

Ian

10. Mullazman

Mullazman New Member

Interesting, I'm going to monitor my fuel consumption as I build mine up. I've not kept a good record of what I've removed though unfortunately. My father recommended perhaps putting some ply over the underside for a better shape, I actually have pipes hanging and it just generally looks like a wind-catchment zone down there.

2.1L

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I am convinced that belly pans will make a noticeable difference.
    People who have lowered report a higher sweet spot for cruising .
    Similar effect from less air underneath.
    Theory certainly supports the case.
    Can't recall economy numbers.

Bay or T3?

12. Mullazman

Mullazman New Member

Sorry T3! Yes I'm going to test a bit of ply underneath over the course of a few weeks once I've finished building the interior, I'll try and remember to post back here with my findings, it wont be cheap $48 of 4mm ply from Bunnings as a test because it'll probably just get wrecked, and if it's run in the wet.. gosh it wont last haha

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Nothing like a bit of epoxy resin sealer to extend its life ;)
    Might need to support areas around screws with some panel washers.?
    Glue or screw some longitudinal ribs.