1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2L + webers = sorta running ok

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Jehd, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Jehd

Jehd New Member

K guys.

Fitted a set of IDF 40's to my 2L.

There was a few issues -
    linkage is only opening the carbs up 80%

I had the carbs balanced by my mechanic but he told me I needed a 009 since there was no vac advance

So...threw in a 009.

Currently I am lacking power down low and under load. If you just rev the thing standing still it winds up real quick but get it going and the 009 flat spot arrives.

I was hoping that some other people on here with webers could give me an idea of how their 2L goes and possibly what settings (jets, timming etc) everything is on.

Any idea why I have such a flat spot down low?
    the mechanic did note that the jets may be too large, but should be ok.

What timming should I run? currently i have it set at 15 degrees as this is reducing the lack of power under load.

Any recommodations on linkage? should i modify what I have or buy a new one?

Attached Files:

2. kombikid76

kombikid76 New Member

im pretty sure most people time 009's for max advance (32 degrees?) rather than at idle. As for the jetting, have you had a look at your plugs?

3. Blue76Bay

Blue76Bay New Member

4. kombidaze

kombidaze Member

i have a set of dellorto 36mm drla on an 1800 kombi motor it has a cb performance hex bar linkage which is ok but does give some problems, the carbies came with a vacume port so they work with the original kombi vac advance distributor.
    I would recommend contacting a weber carbi place try these people
    RECARB 07 54933788 web site http://www.recarb.com.au/carb.html they may be able to put a vacume port into the left hand carbie
    the 009 distributors are renowned for flat spots down low they must be timed at 3000 to 3500 rpm and set at about 28 to 30 degrees
    to tune your carbies you need a carbie sync tool the snail ones are the best. type in weber on ebay they are usually available they go for around $100
    this web site will give you much info on tuning webers http://www.carburetorclinic.com/tech_articles.htm
    once set up right you will have a grin on your face.

5. Jehd

Jehd New Member

thanks guys, thats some good info

currenlty, set at 15 degrees I am starting to get a grin on my face. She is rather constant throught the rev range. Still a little hesitation down low. I'd drop it back in to german engineering on bribie where I had the carbs installed (he said he would retune it when i put the 009 in) but its all the way up there and work\uni has been really hectic this semester.

I will try setting the timing at 3-3.5k though.

Amazingly, I am getting better fuel economy with the 40IDFs and me driving in the high revs to keep the engine smooth that i got with the stock carbys. mind you they leaked fuel everywhere!

I orignally thought there was a vac advance on the carbs but i was told they are givining a constant vacuum...

My next task will be getting this remaining 20% of the carbs opening..

thanks again

James

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Just had my twin 40mm dellorto carbs balanced @ German Auto @ Geebung.
    Timing is set @ 28 with a 009 and compufire pointless ignition. Also went on the dyno for gas checking and at low revs runs lean but perfect @ high revs/kruizing and good consumption. Was told it could be the jets that need to be looked at but as I don't flog it down load am leaving setup for kruizing.
    Throttle linkage may need adjutment for the extra 20%

7. Jehd

Jehd New Member

is that 28 degree max?

The linkage isn't perfect because for some reason the previous owner decided to cut it down. I am going to see what I can do with it.

German engineering bribie siad he could weld to modify it, but at that point i was allready not taking into account a few expenses, so i let it slide. 80% is quite a bit atm

currently she will go comfortably to 80km\hr in third. Getting quite a bit of power down as between shifts the alernator belt is slipping and i get the battery light on for a second!

cheers again fellas.

btw it sounds awesome ;)

8. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Hey Jehd

I put the full compufire system on my 2l with the original solex's running the 009 and the low rev flat spot is gone! It accelerates well trough the gears. Would love to put webbers or delortos on mine, I run dellortos on my Ducati and it makesa huge differance. The kit cost me $285 delivered to my door and it took me an arvo to fit them cause I'm handy but unfamiliar with VW motors as this kombi is my first.

I reckon could do th e job in an hour or so now. I have a thread in the Handy hints - How to fit an electronic ignition.

Cheers Alex

9. Jehd

Jehd New Member

Alex,

I have read it and been very tempted! Are you sure they don't sell them in aus?

cheers
    james

10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

James - if it is the Compufire you are asking about being for sale in Oz then they are - just have to find - Classic VeeDub in Rydalmere NSW may have them as know they used to stock them

11. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Hey James

They do sell them in oz but it would cost about $520 delivered. It was really easy to get them from Steve at Serranos 10 days from order to delivery. I have his email if you want it.

Cheers Alex

12. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Also James

Just so there is no confusion compufire does two differant kits, Bert runs the kit which uses your exsisting coil leads etc the one I fitted is dearer but replacees your leads coil and distributor cap. Getting it from the states made the top of the line kit only about $10 dearer than the basic kit.

If you go for it I would be happy to give you a hand with it.

Cheers Alex

13. Jehd

Jehd New Member

Cheers Alex,

I will think about it next pay day after rego has been payed!

14. Jehd

Jehd New Member

to those interested in webers, it added $80 to my comprehensive insurance with Shannons!