1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2ltr auto drive plate install

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by kr.au, Jun 1, 2021.

1. kr.au

kr.au New Member

Question for the brains trust - I am assembling a 2ltr auto for a 75 Type2 single cab. Have set the end play and am ready to install the front seal and drive plate. See photos.

Is there meant to be an o-ring seal that goes onto the drive plate? All the books I've found talk about manual fly wheels and how there might sometimes be an o-ring inside - but there's no o-rings in my gasket kit that would be the right size and no obvious place for it. (Unfortunately the drive plate has been to the machine shop for balancing and I can't recall seeing one on there before it went - but could I have missed it?)

Also, the gasket kit has a round plate with six holes that I'm guessing might be for a fly wheel install (see photo) because I can't see a home for it on this engine. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance, Ken

Attached Files:

2. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

O ring goes on the inside groove of the drive plate
    5 hole washer is for flywheels

David H likes this.
  3. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

The little black bit that looks like solid plastic in the 1st photo is the O ring, flick it out with a small screwdriver or a pick, clean the groove, lube the new o ring with a little rubber grease and slip it into the drive plate, fit your shims to the crank, fit the drive plate carefully & torque it up.

Bigred, Wiz and David H like this.
  4. Bigred

Bigred New Member

It also helps to use a smear of permatex behind the face plate, between the crank and the plate mount, when tightened it ensures no oil leaks out past those unique hard to ever replace hex bolts, particular to the driveplate. happy vanin!

5. kr.au

kr.au New Member

Thanks @rstucke, @grumble, @Bigred. I thought that the groove inside the drive plate might be a seat for an o-ring but there's not one in my gasket kit that fits. (There are two that are a bit larger that I haven't found a home for yet - one is quite thin and the other 'normal' thickness). Off shopping I guess.

6. grumble

Some of the kits don't have them but they are readily available from VW parts suppliers.

oldman likes this.
  7. kr.au

kr.au New Member

Thanks @grumble - you were spot on (feel a bit silly for not working that one out myself!). Sorry for the slow reply - haven't been able to get to the project for a bit.

grumble and oldman like this.
  8. grumble

I can understand how you could miss it because it looks like its part of the drive plate & almost as hard.

9. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

You've obviously found the home for your fatter o-ring in your pic. The thinner o-ring is inside the oil pump.