2nd Annual Kombi CLub Bus Stop Toy Drag Meet.

Discussion in 'The National Kombi Club Bus Stop 2008' started by Schmoburger, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

OK, there has been much talk of said event being held next year and subsequent years after the overwhelming success of the last one, so I think it is appropriate that a few details be provided and that a thread be devoted to it.

Basically, the race was open to any pullback action Kombis this year, the majority being the "Kinsmart" brand ones available on ebay and in many gift stores. There werent too many rules in this years event at Canberra, as it was mostly in the name of fun... only real rule being no foul-play... which was, at least for the best part, adhered too! :D It was basically a few runs just for the fun of it, then successive elimination rounds to determ9ine a winner.

Next years event will be in a similar format, however this year, Judy (Byronbug), has kindly offered to supply a prize for the winner, in order to make the event slightly more competitive. This means that there are competitors who are milling away at their kitchen tables modifying toy Kombis within an inch of their lives to extract the best possible performance from them... and the rules allow (and encourage) this... what will not be allowed, however, is Kombis with skyrockets attached to them! :D

There will be fun races too for those who want to take it easy.

I am also tossing up whether or not we should have a Beetle category also just to make things even more interesting... if it goes ahead, I will supply a prize for this category. :cool:

ENtrants will have their cars numbered with little sticker type things on the night to aid judging winners.

ANy suggestions to improve the races are welcome!

Cheers!

2. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Another thought K,
    Can we have a kids race too?...only fair seeing how we are a "family friendly" club...& we can have the kids involved too....might have to do a age brackets maybe as we don't want the bigger kids "taking over"...
    Its just a thought....
    Judy

3. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

There should be a kids section, I agree. I don't know how well we'll go with the only rule being that it must be pull back but i supose thats restrictive enough...

4. StevieVW

Where do you get your model kombi's? I was looking for pull back ones but couldn't find much even on Google. I looked on eBay and there wasn't much there.

5. Schmoburger

Yep, I like the sound of a Kid's race too... maybe make it such that we have under-16's and 16 and over sections? ANd I am thinking seperate prizes for each age group. A g0ood idea indeed Judy! :cool:

As for their being not many rules, yes that does sit a little uneasy with me still, but I am of the opinion however that once you start implementing this rule and that rule and this exception, it takes away from the fun of it all... and also stifles creativity. So basically the only rule i'm implementing thus far is that there is to be no foul-play and no "helping along" of buses with ones fingers... :D

Cheers!

6. Schmoburger

I am actually thinking of importing a bulk lot from the states if there is enough interest from other members to cover the cost... I was looking to buy a fwew myself, but I dont need all 12 of em! :D

it works out about AU$8:50 per van... still marginally cheaper than eBay. :)

STay tuned

Cheers!

7. StevieVW

Where are you looking Schmo?

8. Schmoburger

I've just put a post up in the Kombi CLub section... have a geezer there as there is a link to the place that sells em. :cool:

Cheers!

9. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

Come in spinner

Schmo, we have a couple of real winners here mate. The heat is on and we have a long time to practise our draw backs and releases. Hope we don't wear them out though. Dean and Deb

10. hoops

hoops New Member

Jet powered Kombi???

Hey Dean (ModelJets), I can just imagine that jet engine you had at Klubfest hidden in the back of a pull-back if you cut open the tailgate. The noise may be a give away though.

Have you got a silencer????

11. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Forgettink the Jets, vat about vind up clock-vorking catagory??

12. 1975 Westfalia

1975 Westfalia Member

what a wind up!

Mine comes with it's own race track...

Attached Files:

13. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

any one needing mods send me a pm mafti's is undergoing radical changes right now so watch out you hoons

14. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Gee you rev heads are getting quite serious about all this....
    Should be quite funny... can't wait to see this...
    Judy

15. Schmoburger

SPW has been experimenting with a number of different performance enhancement and tuning techniques to obtain the best possibe performance out of our Kombi's standard engine... then there are some other more drastic mods in the works... ;) :D

in short... we will have a badass Kombi come Eden. :cool:

Mafti, Tom, Marty... I'll see you there!

BTW.. jets are banned Necro!!! :D

16. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

I thought sinister and underhanded were part of the race? Where's the challenge in fairplay? Dean

17. Schmoburger

Touche!... I digress... :D :eek:

18. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

How about air powered?

19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

20. 1975 Westfalia

1975 Westfalia Member

Air powered

Methane anyone?