1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd gear selection problem

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by bruce hh, Jul 28, 2019.

1. bruce hh

bruce hh Member

My T3's 4 speed (yes, 4) is becoming increasingly difficult to get into second gear, rarely when trying to change up and much more often if trying to change down - when it usually won't go into anything, sometimes sounds like it tries to engage, and very occasionally does go into gear. Don't seem to have a problem selecting anything else. The main shaft bearing was replaced when the motor was rebuilt under 12 months ago.
    Is this more likely to be selector linkages or something within the box? Linkage bellows rubbers mainly disintegrated, so I'd say it's had minimal maintenance over time in this area in its sub 200000 k's.

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I had that issue, when I refitted the fully reconditioned gearbox.

It was def the linkages, that were happily working with the worn sloppy gearbox, but the tight rebuilt one, then showed up all the issues!

bruce hh, Syncro27 and David H like this.
  3. sunburntwilly

sunburntwilly Member

I had a similar problem after a putting in a new clutch. The spline needed to be turned one notch.
    All other gears selected ok. Worth a try easy to do.

David H and bruce hh like this.
  4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Have you tried a 'double shuffle' to see if that improves access to 2nd. Neutral, clutch out, accelerator to spin box, clutch in & select. If that makes access easier it's the synchro ring in the box.
    Cheers

hairyman and syncro like this.
  5. bruce hh

bruce hh Member

David, double shuffle makes no difference, but thanks for the suggestion.

David H likes this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

So that leaves selection & linkages;). Time to chase.
    Cheers

7. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Bruce it is quite likely that it is the alloy guide blocks at the front, they wear and don't do their job, from memory there were a lot of broken and bent T3 gearsticks over the years.

David H likes this.
  8. Maccas

Maccas Member