1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Way Finch Fridge Repair - Gas part?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dubman, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

I have a Finch chest style 3way fridge (its almost a family heir loom), Works brilliantly on power, cant get it to work on gas, it was once fantastic on gas, sometimes too cold, Pilot light stays light but no cooling.

Does any one have any suggestions, Ideas etc
    Or does any one know where I might get it fixed in Sydney.

Finch as far as I can tell no longer exists, spoke with local fridge repairer, only does electric

Any assistance is appreciated

2. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Nath,

There is a mob called Country Gas Fridges in West Gosford on the Central Coast.

They are the only ones I know.

3. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Thanks mate, was hoping for something a bit closer to home though. Will keep the details just in case though

4. t4camper

t4camper Active Member

Main jet is likely blocked, any gas repair man should be able to source new jet from sample.
    Sometimes they can be cleaned by blowing backwards through them, even a small amount of compressed air.
    The hole is too small to clean with a wire, often has a gauze across it.
    Look throught it up to a light source to check clean.
    Test for leaks with soapy water.
    Neil

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Dubman says that the gas lights.

Try turning the fridge upside down for a couple of minutes then sitting it level overnight before starting it again. Don't rush it!

(It's something to do with air pockets in the refrigerant)

6. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Will give it a go Phill, Tried it again on power the other day after sitting in the garage for 6years. Fired up and was cold in no time, If I can sort out the gas part, I will definitely be using a lot more

7. farquire

farquire Member

have had this problem with my chescold fridge,have always been able to fix it by removing and cleaning the jet ,a part blockage cuts the gas flow so still lights but doesn't get enough heat.

8. t4camper

t4camper Active Member

If the fridge gets cold on 240 volt power the cooling side is working fine so don't turn it upside down or you will risk really breaking it by trying to fix a problem you don't have.:eek:

Phill, from the first post.
    The jet is blocked or partially blocked if not a separate pilot jet. Pilot will keep working, not enough heat generated until the burner fires up to get the thermal action going on gas. As it gets cold on 240 volt power, indicates the ammonia side is working.
    Rust from the flue falling down blocking the burner.
    Neil.

9. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, am away this weekend and will be running it just on 240 will pull the back off and give it a good clean/blow out next week and see how it goes.