3D printed parts

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by nils, Feb 19, 2015.

1. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I decided to continue this in a new thread,

While I had my tank out there were 2 clips that hold the main clutch hydraulic line to the under body. Originally I was pointed toward a VW dealer and after being on the phone for an hour and searching though countless vw drawings, we thought we had found it. Allas it was not meant to be, going to the dealer today they were indeed the wrong part. I spent another hour with the fellow (Wayne a Klosters) trying to retrieve the correct part number from many other VWs of the same era, I have to hand I to this fellow he was very keen to help me find what would be a sub $1 part and eventually we accepted defeat and decided it was NLA. So having wasted about 4hrs now and lord know what my Baja uses in petrol I went back to plan A.
    I have read a few articles about the now common use of 3D printing and I already am reasonably fluent in 3D modeling (though more based around machining and sheet metal)

I used Solidworks for the modelling and Shapeways in the states for the manufacture just for there very ace and easy website, no doubt I could get someone in AUS to do it but I had chased around enough.
    The time taken from when I sat down with my laptop and vernier caliper till the time a had a confirmation email in my inbox was about 1.5 hrs. Though the total cost per unit is $8.05AU (this is taking into account shipping cost)

This may not have been the ideal way as a financial point, but the speed at which you can now get NLA parts, WOW!
    The question is, who else has the silly little part they can't get ? There is a thread on the Samba doing this, but many don't seem happy to share there work if there is no financial gain. Lets see your silly little broken parts and I will see if I can help

hydraulic line clip.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2017
  2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I 2nd Brendans comment (hey sorry mate didnt mean to pre empt your idea). Anyway we in Aus can improve on the Gowesty sunvisor bit as the numnuts in USA have made them in Black just so they stick out like the pervberbial, why not make them in white so they blend in?

3. Yes you'd think they would have made them in white o_O

4. nils

nils Well-Known Member

funny thing is, white is cheaper to print than black. Next time your around let me borrow them and I can model them up, so we can print them in white. That or just ask Go Westy whether they have white, rather not step on toes stealing designed and such

will definatly give those guys a yell next time Brendan.

5. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I have dealt with Wayne in exactly the same way trying to work out bits for my Touareg - he doesn't give in to defeat too easily.
    It's becoming more common for these 3D printed parts - I have seen a few on the Touareg forum.

6. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Black plastic is more UV stable, so won't deteriorate in the sun as much. It is a pity they don't make the replacement headlight adjuster in black as the main reason they fail is UV damage.

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

How much UV would get to the headlight adjusters? I think that it's just crap plastic. You could always try painting the adjusters.

8. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I have handled many sets of T3 headlights and find it is mainly the top outboard adjuster that fails. This adjuster is readily available from Gowesty or Vancafe for $7 to $8 and easy to replace. All the other adjusters are also available as well at $7 to $10 ea. so not expensive to replace any broken ones.

9. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Got my first run of clips today and I am happy to report that they are all good as far as form, measurement and flexibility is concerned.
    You will actually notice in the photo that the one on the screen is a little different to the printed one, this is due to me finding the other half of the broken one floating around under my van. I have now changed the design to match the original exactly, but for now the first run will do the job they are designed for. If anyone turns up with the same problem you can go onto the shapeways site and search ''vanagon'' as a tag and buy them direct from there now.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    MarcoLoco likes this.
  10. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Which leads me to the next thing I am working on.
    I'll be putting Mercedes rims on my bus, I'm sure many have or are doing this. The studs are right, the offset is right and more often than not the price is right.
    Only one problem. Those giant grease caps and axles our vans have make it impossible to fit good looking center caps without adding spacers to incorrect offset wheels (which i'm sure we all know is illegal by now)

How do these grab you? They are designed to accept the original spring from your mercedes rims to locate like they should and in a week or I will be able to tell you how it all turns out :)

VW centercap.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2017
  11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Let me know how these pan out, and what is the clip diameter size.

Got some excellent VW 16" Borbets that I intend to fit to a T3. Need to increase the centre bore from 57mm to at least 64 mm to clear those giant grease caps...:confused:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  12. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Grant to be honest, bore your wheels to fit and then get me some measurements, I'll make you some that fit.
    FYI the. Merc bore is 66mm and the cap recess is 70mm

13. Grantus

Apparently 66.56mm is the go for universal Merc to VW fitment.

ie, at that bore, my 5 spoke Borbet wheels are then a straight fit to a Merc as well, if ever needed.:rolleyes:

14. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

All of the MB rims that I have seen are M12. The studs may fit, but the nuts are the wrong radius taper.

15. nils

nils Well-Known Member

sorry about the wording, I was talking of the stud. Pattern. There are indeed 14mm studded merc rims off the heavier saloons that match the ball taper on the bus too, but is much easier to buy conversion studs/ bolts from T3 technique to suit the small ball taper.

16. Grantus

Is it a problem if they are a straight bore?

Problem I see, is that when I increase the centre bore from 57mm to 64mm, I will lose the retaining clip groove, which is only 60mm diameter, that holds the current VW caps in place. :rolleyes:

17. nils

nils Well-Known Member

without something to clip into we may have a problem, would machining to suit the merc cap and clip groove be an option for you? I can send you a section view with measurements.

18. nils

nils Well-Known Member

failing that grant, have a basic retaining groove machined, then send me the measurements. We'll work something out

19. Grantus

OK, I'll get them to machine another groove, after they have done the centrebore. :)