3D printed parts

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by nils, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Grantus likes this.
  2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Kai,

When I was after one 10+ years back couldn't be found but was lucky enough to find one @ my ex Central Coast mechanics shop ...... good to know they're available

3. KahunaKombi

2nd order for 10 seats was placed on 8th for these by nils with eta 20th March -

CNC 6061 Seat Cams.jpg

Received text this am all spoken for ;)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  4. KahunaKombi

Article on these Type 3 Seat Adjuster Cams is in #54 of VWMA

kool_kombi 79 and cbus like this.
  5. KahunaKombi

Gradually putting back some of the pictures blocked by pb - don't have them all that nils posted just some he sent me for the VWMA article. :)

6. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I know:(:oops:, not sure when I will get the many hours free that I need to fix alot of broken threads

7. KahunaKombi

Much the same nils but thought I'd start with a couple here and worry about others when I'm not as project rich and time poor :rolleyes::oops:o_O

8. nils

nils Well-Known Member

As tech has advanced awesome things have come to fruit. Some of the fellow KC members may have seem me mention signing up for a trail of a new material/process offered by the printer in the states.
    The new material is a nylon again but is in twice the definition and along with ink injected thoughout each layer promising not only a true black plastic (up until now have only been dyed post print) but also strength of material that out performs any other plastic currently avalible, at least that is what they say. Limitations in this case are colour, you have a raw print which is a mottled gray or you can have black. That's it, which for most of the things I do is fine by me.

The parts I ordered were the window regulator guides from the T3 that are originally made from a cast nylon,
    guides.JPG
    My old favorite the "PUCH" badge from the syncro, as this has many fine details as well as very fine pins on the rear that are great for testing the strength of materials. On top of that I have this in a bunch of materials now and make for a great show of different textures, pros, cons, ect
    puch.JPG
    And a new set of center caps, because if this material is best in black the T3 boys and girls will find the most uses for it,
    cap new.jpg

Wayne murray and David H like this.
  9. nils

nils Well-Known Member

First impressions, well as you will have seen in the photos above the texture and finish in black is simply stunning and would not at all look out of place in many area on a T3.
    The material itself feels a little softer that the old nylon I have usually used for center caps and the flexibility also outshines. the wieght is a little more as well indicating a more dense part, I will be interested to see whether the new material is water tight. The old did tend to soak it up.
    It feels more "complete" where as the old felt coarse like it needed something to finish it off.

The burst on the trial that I signed up for stated that "finally a printer that produced a piece that had comparable strength in both the X and Y axis", what does that mean? well prints are done in layers, meaning that the product had a "grain" which would become the weak point in the model and you would have to decide the orientation of the model to make use of that depending on your structural requirements while at the same time taking into account how this would effect it visually as often the grain would wreck the face (in this case the VW logo)
    The balance of strength now means that is no long a problem, oh and did I mention the new printer uses a 0.1mm resolution? Thats twice as good as the old.
    You can see in this photo the Evolution if you will of prints I have used, the first (center) the Ole' hot glue gun you can buy at Aldi, the second (bottom) the sintered laser (you can see the layers) that has served so well, this particular piece has been dyed black and them painted black as well. And lastly the new (top) which still retains a texture but the layers are now gone.

caps side comp.jpg

I guess the big question that remains is COST? well it is a little bit dearer for small parts, but for the caps in the photo it looks that they will actually be cheaper! How you ask? The post processing is much less using the new machine, Dye is added in each layer while being printed, the machine is also faster and produces less waste.

These are only estimates of course, but I am very keen to see where this goes.
    caps comparison.jpg
    cap new.jpg

Grantus and David H like this.
  10. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

It's interesting to see the technology develop and in such a short space of time.

To think only a couple of years ago people were hacking together crude contraptions like mine and that quality was acceptable now the industry has taken off to such an extent that quality parts can be made for very little.

David H likes this.
  11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

But are the printed window regulator guides parts as strong as the original nylon? :rolleyes:

nils likes this.
  12. nils

nils Well-Known Member

That I can't give you a definitive answer for Grant.

There are just so many variations in the process that created each, that's why i am always so keen to have you guys test these things out because it is the only real way to be able to say for sure.

The material itself is harder than the original, but on the other hand is not as dense due to it being printed.

Will these be better than the busted ones? yes

KahunaKombi and Grantus like this.
  13. nils

nils Well-Known Member

And how 3D printed parts should not be sold...........
    gowesty.JPG

14. David H

David H Well-Known Member

So that's a 'fail' print Nils?
    Cheers

15. KahunaKombi

Like many of the parts re-made today the quality is cr@p compared to what was made back in the time of the originals ...... like the Type3 Seat Adjuster Cams, Nils had no idea on these with 3D printing but cost made the decision to go CNC and will they last as long? that all depends on IF the seat back is adjusted in the correct manner ;) and how often :eek: ..... MTBF's unknown as too many unknown factors :confused:

16. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I dont get what you are saying Kahuna, guys like Nils having a go to help keep our vehicles on the road should be encouraged not put down. They dont have vast R & D departments behind them and anyway some of the OEM parts like those original seat adjusters were not so hot to begin with. With guys like Nils NLA is no longer a death sentence.

Grantus likes this.
  17. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't get what all the abbreviations stand for :rolleyes:

Grantus likes this.
  18. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

CNC - Computer Numerical Control
    3D - 3 Dimensional
    MTBF - :confused:
    R & D - Research & Development
    OEM- Original Equipment Manufacturer
    NLA - No Longer Available

;)

19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Bert can clarify himself but as Bert (and myself in a small way) were part of the adjuster development process I can safely say his comments are not meant as a criticism.
    I agree that many parts nowdays have the ' Chinese' syndrome where the western wholesalers/ retailers buy on price only and are happy to flip to unsuspecting customers.
    The Chinese's are quite able to make quality in most items but greed often takes precedience with businesses at our end being happy to supply pretend items to maximise profit.
    Original manufacturers were also subject to cost constraints and I agree that often this shows.
    The original adjusters were die cast pot metal. A cheap process in large numbers and soft material for the task.

In the process of getting the adjusters developed a number of processed were considered in an effort to produce a better product at a non shock price.
    Keeping in mind that sale numbers are likely limited.
    Input from other forums also gave good leads for manufacturing.
    The printing gave good items to test the drawings and find any potential flaws.
    Bert then fitted and tested a number of times with fine attention to detail by both Nils and Bert.
    Changes were made by Nils and a variety of manufacturing methods explored for suitability and cost.

The final choice gave advantages in all areas and a product that should be an improvement over the original.
    I doubt Nils will recover cost of the considerable time spent on this item but I am sure that there is gain for future projects.

I totally agree that we are fortunate to have a number of suitably qualified and keen engineers in our numbers who are willing to spend time finding solutions to issues crop up.

20. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

MTBF - mean time before failure (a fancy way of saying how low something is expected to last)

David H and Grantus like this.