3D printed parts

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by nils, Feb 19, 2015.

1. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Hahaha :p welcome to my world, acrynom fatigue is a real thing in my workplace.

In a matter of speaking David, I traded this for one of mine with a KC member that bought it from a highly regarded T3 modification company. It was good for a laugh, but I found it actually irritated me quite badly that this is the quality of product they deemed exceptible to charge you money for.
    The material hardness is nowhere near that of the original, the length is wrong, the fastening system is wrong, the curve is wrong. In fact I would be surprised if it lasted more than a few weeks in service to be honest.

David H, Grantus and Luckyphil like this.
  2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Name them :)

David H and Grantus like this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Nils,
    So nice that it wasn't one of your bits:D. Didn't realise what you were displaying in that photo but I get now how it would have upset you. Paid for crap:(. Sorry, got your money:D. Too much of that nowdays:mad:.
    I am appreciative of the work you put in & it was nice to get the 'back story' from Cbus about the KC R&D department.:cool:
    Just love your devotion & talent Nils:D & that you're available to forum members. Look forward to the day you can make a 'bit' for old boy that I can no longer buy:cool: & pay you lots:rolleyes: (Berri discussion;)).
    Love your devotion to your craft & the Kombi's.
    Cheers

4. nils

nils Well-Known Member

David, as per usual you are way to kind. But they didn't get my money David, another KC member.
    I traded his lackluster part for one of mine, as I had often wondered the quality of the other companies' part that may or may not start with G and end with westy Phil.

Call it market research, but the quality was much lower than I had ever expected. So there are definatly people being taken for a ride, thats why I posted it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    David H and Grantus like this.
  5. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I thought Mr Westy were going to buy from you and sell them on with their cream on top?

So they changed that and went for the black pubic hair version of your product?

Grantus likes this.
  6. nils

nils Well-Known Member

:p:D:p:D
    The hairs are whats left of the reinforcing structure used while making the part I guess. (Lets hope its that, not Scotts version of events )
    I never approached the westy boys because I knew they had there own product. May have to do that it seems.

David H likes this.
  7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

If it's easy enough to supply in quantity, and profitable enough, it would be worth offering a far superior product to the westy boys, for their wide spread consumers. ;)

David H likes this.
  8. David H

Go knock on the door Nils. Offer the alternative.
    You'll never never know if you never never go:rolleyes:.
    Truly the modern world is difficult to navigate but I believe most businesses want to be know as providing 'good stuff'. You got the 'good stuff' now knock the door! (Berri discussion again...price it right;))
    Cheers

9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I still cant figure what all the letters represent in the group/s the Govt refer to, requesting same sex marriage laws to be passed. o_O

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  10. David H

Simples:):D,
    All equal.;)
    Cheers

11. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Col has essentially said it ..... I would be the last to criticise Nils on what he is doing ..... the article in VWMA was also instigated by me and written as well with Nils's consent to make the wider VW community aware of what he is doing and done. Nils' R&D department consisted of himself, Col and myself to make those NLA parts available and better (if possible) than the original cast cams .... think at last count there had been 40 seats (40 pairs) with @ least 50% (or greater) going overseas and everyone extremely grateful what Nils accomplished working from a 45 yo worn out part, they also commented of the high quality of these cams.

12. beerboy

beerboy Active Member

I bought some bits from gowesty that I couldnt get anywhere else. They were heavy so postage was a bit of a PITA :)
    I think I was in for over 300 bucks in the end. This bit wasnt going to make the difference. I had someone in mind :)
    I am a big fan of gowesty. Pleased with the other bits.

The side on picture looks ok (well better)

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=24585

As david says mate. send off that email. Or pop one in the post to los osos.....

13. wombatventures

wombatventures Active Member

With regards to the seat Cams.... What can I say...
    Thanks Bert for suggesting them, thanks Col for helping, and Most of all thanks heaps Nils for getting them to manufacture that sees them fitted in Type 3s.
    I never realised how much better my seats would be until I put them in.

cbus, KahunaKombi, nils and 1 other person like this.
  14. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Have had alot of other stuff going on of late, I almost forgot about this project for the boys at the VanCafe.

'' A'' Pillar grab handle wedges are a real pain to get in the States I am told and are hot property.
    I modeled some up (boy is that a complex piece :eek:) I got it right the second time around ;) and I am happy to report the new black material works great for threads and expanding sections as well. I have had this on my van for a few days now and there is no difference in stability.

Stay tuned, these will be available very soon. No more excuses as to why it is a pain for your passenger to get in.
    IMG_3258.JPG
    wedge installed.jpg

15. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Some parts I forwarded to Nils yesterday to see what he can do!
    IMG_6548.JPG
    IMG_6547.JPG
    IMG_6549.JPG

16. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Looks like blinker switch bits

17. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Correct Bernie!

72-74 switch parts