1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D printed parts

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by nils, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Maccas

Maccas New Member

Ok, all good. Another solution option to add to the mix.

Regrettably in my case though, one of the metal mounting tabs had worn down pretty short, leaving only a short straight piece before the tab curved at the bottom, so little to grab onto. Hence my epoxy solution preference.

On a side note, the original retail version guides provided a combined metal pin plus epoxy fixing solution, which intrigued me at the time. Why introduce an eventual metal against metal wear condition in the black metal gear selector box?! The penny must have finally dropped at R&D HQ and they've since removed the metal pins from the current version.

2. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

The ‘force it on’ approach wouldn’t work with corian so epoxy is a great solution. Corian is an awesome product....don’t reckon you’ll ever have to remake those! On a side note if anyone wants some corian, he’d to your local cabinet maker who can supply it and ask for samples....they give out 100mm x 100mm 15mm thick pieces ;) my dad used to be hitting me up all the time for it as he’s a wood turner lol

3. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

The metal pins in the kit I got were aluminium, so not really an issue wearing steel. The pins end up flush with the plastic, so would rub straight away (well to an extent as it touches more on the tip than the sides of the plastic)
    I think the pin/no pin depends on the manufacturer, not old/new design.

4. Maccas

Maccas New Member

Ok that is correct. I see that Brickwerks and t3technique sell the same "original" kit with pins and guides made of Delrin from DuPont, whereas GoWesty has a more recent version using a 3D printed "nylon" type of guide material and with no pins. Interesting GoWesty states their epoxy does adhere the 3D printed nylon guide to the metal tabs. Live and learn.
    HHhhhmmmmm ... someone needs to do a product test comparison .... 3D printed nylon verses delrin guides.
    Cheers.

5. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I can 3D print in the same nylon GW use.

The wear factor is pretty good to be honest, but has nothing on the likes of delrin ect.

The cost would be about half of the delrin part, (I have priced up having these made previously) I hazard a guess that GW use one method over the other simply because it's cheaper.

I think GW are really for the mall crawler crowd who's cars won't see more than 1000km in a year and are only making parts that will last their warranty period

David H likes this.
  6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

My Brickwerks bits were depatched promptly........ they went from the UK to Germany, then Kentucky US, and have now been cleared in Hawaii......should get here soon! :confused:

7. Grantus

I went with the Brickwerks ones, so my question to the brains trust is:

What equivalent brand of high strength epoxy glue should I buy, to match what T3 Technique supply, to install them? :rolleyes:

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Syncro27 likes this.
  9. Grantus

Cheers Col.

The parts went around the planet and were scanned into Sydney early Monday morning. 4 days later, they still haven’t managed the final 300km journey to the destination.........maybe tomorrow. o_O

Paid a little more for the “UPS Express” service too. :(

10. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I ordered from Brickwerks on 11/6/18 & received the parts today. I always choose the cheapest postage rate with them as well as the parts seem to turn up just as quick. :)

11. Grantus

Lesson learnt for future orders......cheers Phil. ;)

Seems Royal Mail, has it all over UPS, FedEx & DHL, for fast delivery of small packages.

12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Delivery delays once scanned received in Australia can be attributed to Customs :confused::eek: ...... excuse given to me on different occassions :rolleyes:

13. grantw

grantw Active Member

I've been needing some seat slide adjuster knobs for Kate so have been teaching myself Fusion360 and modeled and printed this version.

IMG_7578.JPG

A long way to go yet, but it's a very satisfying process.

Grantus, Wayne murray and David H like this.
  14. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Awesome work.

It takes a bit of getting your head around but you can get some pretty good results out of 360

grantw likes this.
  15. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Nice work Grant !

grantw likes this.
  16. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Still working on these indicators with Kai.

Just for fun - Ever wondered what is inside the assembly and how these parts relate to each other?

indicator plastic parts.JPG

Syncro27, David H, Dapom and 2 others like this.
  17. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

That’s awesome

18. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Very impressive nils ;)

19. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member