1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 speed gearbox vs. 5 speed gearbox

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by bilckster, Jan 28, 2009.

1. bilckster

bilckster Member

I have been mulling over the idea of taking out the original 4 speed gear box from my 82 transporter and putting in a later model 5 speed gearbox.

The hope is that I will get better fuel economy (only getting 350-400 to a tank at the moment) and a higher max speed (right now it sits on 110 comfortably. I wouldn't mind getting it up to 125).

I guess the most important question is will a later model, watercooled 5 speed gearbox fit in my '82 Microbus?

Can I expect to get much better results, especially in terms of fuel efficiency, from a 5 speed gear box?

Is it worth it? I've seen 5 speed gear boxes for sale on here for about $800 and I imagine it would be about 4 hours labour. Will the resulting savings in petrol cost outweigh the cost of the new gearbox?

Any thoughts, comments or observations are welcome.

2. kombijon

kombijon Member

yes the 5speed will fit but you will need the gear linkage and i think the selector gate in the base of the gear stick.
    i can sell you a 5 speed box for $500 inc gear linkage but not gear stick bits.
    i'm not 100% sure wether you will save much money on running costs but if thats your intention why not spend the cash on LPG? you wil re-coupe all the money plus some within 12months!

cheers jon. ps i'm in WA

3. bilckster

bilckster Member

Hmmm, good point. I might have to look into the costs for that.

4. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I went over this same issue when I first bought my '82 ten years ago. Advice from Nick out at Volksparts was don't. The later box was not as robust as the earlier 4 speed. The gears are closer spaced so you don't gain much if anything. I remained with the 4 speed and fitted a locking diff which has worked fine for the type of camping I do. Cruise speed is 95 km/h towing the trailer but can do 110. The fuel consumption at 110 is a lot higher so 95 is it. Seems to me that at 95 one can lay back and enjoy the world much more than up at 110 especially in a kombi.

I have dreamed of fitting a box out of a synchro if I ever came across one that could be restored. That would be quite beneficial in the scrub, methinks.

5. bilckster

bilckster Member

Thanks for the feedback. I was a bit apprehensive about it all as I don't like pulling apart something that is working well and in great original condition. I think I'll leave it as is for now.