1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4WD Kombi. Can it be done????

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by C-doggy dog, Sep 7, 2008.

1. C-doggy dog

C-doggy dog New Member

My plan is to have a splitty built into a tough truck. I'm thinking, if possible to get something like a hilux chassis and motor or something there abouts, and doing a few modifications then literally just dropping the kombi shell on top! Can it be done????????????????????????? Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or rad pics to help me along my way. thanks

2. Marty

Marty Active Member

hmm... you are aware of the costs involved in doing something like this?

3. Volksaddict

Volksaddict Member

...theres one (prototype) in the museum at Wolfsburg!! ...did get some pics of the undercarriage ..will try and dig em out

4. Mickldo

Mickldo New Member

Not quite Tuff Truck but I want to do something similar.

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=15861

If you want to do a full 4wd Kombi just measure up the wheelbase, find a decent chassis with similar measurements and away you go. You might have to mid mount the motor and run a conventional motor, g/box & t/case but it would be possible.

might not be pretty but.............

5. 76 kombi

76 kombi Member

The best option is to get a Transporter syncro which is constant 4wd and putting the split body on top. This way the orginal layout of rear engine is retained. Would be a lot of work which ever way you go.

6. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I couldn't read anymore after laughing my head off at that first sentence...... was there more????

clue: $$$$$$$$$$ :D

7. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member