1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 speed vs 4 speed

Discussion in 'Performance' started by tillis, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

The 094 boxes with a 4.57 final drive were the ASL & the AST. I too don't believe they were imported into Australia.

Australian sold 5 speed buses came with an 8E box on the 1.9 and AGT on the 2.1. ;)

2. tillis

tillis Active Member

OK crunch time...well i hope not! looks like i have bought a 5 speed from an 89 which according to above makes it an AGT...does this have the 228mm clutch? no matter, let the games begin! I love new projects

3. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

To make your life a little less complicated, get the 094 AGT reverse light switch loom/plug thingie. Good old VW ensured no backward or forward compatibility - the switch/plug for the AGT is different to the 8E which is different t0 the 091.

4. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

I just had a crazy thought, has anyone ever put a reversed transverse engine/trans (like a golf ) into a kombi ? I reckon it could work, enough space and you already have the half shafts sitting there.
    Would give a good choice of manual or auto trans and anything from a TDI up to a V5/V6 .

5. nils

nils Well-Known Member

There is a bloke in the states getting great results reversing audi engine/gearboxes

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Much easier to use Audi or Passat. It's common to use these engines in T3s.

7. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

golf engines are the same as passat and audi, another candiate would be Renault as some models use a north/south engine with front drive transaxle like a suby.

8. tillis

tillis Active Member

Thanks for that tip! I'm going up saturday(Debbie permitting) to remove the box so will grab that and the complete gearshifter mechanism which i'll need...and anything else that looks good!...kind of a barn find

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Most Audi/Passat are not transverse.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  10. nils

nils Well-Known Member

you're thinking of the UN1, UN5, UN6 gearboxes that were used in things like the lotus espirit, de'loren, GT40 kit cars, lancia delta perhaps? and a bunch of renault I have no idea about.
    They are big in the offroad scene as they have a meaty 10.5'' diff, and have may parts available for use in VWs. I would think even today would still be cheaper than a subi box, but involves a lot of work to fit it under there as they are very large

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  11. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Audi A4 and up (a5, a6 etc) are longitudinal, all smaller Audis transverse. Passats went transverse about 1990. I am not a fan of the 1.8 Tfsi engine, the worst bit on our a4 with excessive oil usage. Our 3 Subarus were great.

12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

and then went back to longitudinal a few years later.

13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I had two Audis, A3 1.8 turbo and a TT quattro 1.8 turbo. I don't know if these are the same as the Tfsi engine but I never used a drop of oil.