1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

58 split screen found for sale, should i buy it?

Discussion in 'Kombi Spotting' started by michaelchurch, Nov 20, 2012.

1. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

I've only got a bay beam, at least I'm getting 130 PCD for my new Fuchs , gotta use what you have.
    The 58 in question is at least work parting out if anything, i doubt it's got a solid base. Good luck anyway.

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The ref to bay gear is a heads up to sus whats underneath properly and be realistic whats salvageable and how much replacement parts will cost.
    If you could do the body yourself it might be a fun project.
    if paying someone then your ass is theirs.
    A half completed 'project' is worth sweet f.a. probably a 1/4 of what you would have put into it if half done.
    People mistakenly think what something has cost is relevent to what it may be worth. Not so.

Just do your homework without the rose coloured glasses. and be VERY wary if choosing a 'restorer'

Im fixing? a kombi at the mo that was 'professionaly ' painted 3 years ago. looks like its been up the beach and lower panels ,inner and outer, are doing a good imitation of a realy top notch flaky croissant.

If you can afford to wager 2k to bring it home and ponder it . Go for it. but add up the costs slowly and carefuly while its sitting in your yard. Visualise every stage and how long it takes/costs.

good luck. Would be good if you can do it

check out whats already available, on road and reg for less money than what this is going to cost you. Do a loan and be cruising this summer:). ?

cheers
    col

3. michaelchurch

michaelchurch New Member

Thanks for the help guys, im going to try talk her down allot, i know a guy who imports parts for them so thats a plus, and my mate is a qualafied boilermaker/welder so i think im going to do most of the body work myself with the help from him, ill let you know how i go :)

4. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Do you have $1900 ??? Just get it and stick it away for a while , then you can save some biccies to do the work. They don't seem to be going down in value.... In any condition !!

5. michaelchurch

michaelchurch New Member

Got plenty more than $1900 ;) just went out again to look at it after it was cleaned up and its not as bad as i expected , i mean its bad, but wilt a lot of $$ it can be saved

6. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

If you have money,leave this one alone. There is a fantastic 61 bus on dsk for 8k , it's about 15k further ahead than the 58 body wise, maybe even more. Up to you but take it from the people that own splittys when they tell you they're bloody expensive to restore.

7. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

More photo's please Mike, and where are you in this big brown land, you could always ask someone to look at it with you

8. Ian 68

Ian 68 New Member

There's your answer mate....if it's restorable, do it and just rat it..if it's beyond, buy it and part it out, there are a lot of people looking for early bus spares...before you part it out though at least let someone else have a GOOD look over it, it'd be a real shame for another early bus to get parted if it can be saved economically, remember, they don't make them anymore.

9. michaelchurch

michaelchurch New Member

also comes with a set of Semaphores, compliance plate, indicators windscreen wiper component and 3 original wheels, has minimal roof rust, all surface rust.
    body Repairs i am aware of are front and back floors drivers side roof rust , 30cm down all the way around rusted on body, doors rusted 30cm and down, inner and outer
    Have to replace all jacking points and sills on both sides
    Rust on lower beam of nose and dint with rust in nose piece
    Im sure to find allot more surprises after a sandblast.. if i have any of it left
    I have seen allot worse in the resto corner, with 5-10 years and 40+k i think she will come up alright :)

10. maca

maca New Member

1. Buy it.
    2. Take what you want off it.
    3. Sell it
    4. Put extra money into the 61.

11. michaelchurch

michaelchurch New Member

whats wrong with the 58?

12. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

Nothing , go and buy it .. sounds good.

13. Roo

Roo Active Member

If I was going to spend 40k on a 58, it'd have 15 windows like the one for sale on here!! Buy it, paint it your colour, drive it! You don't seem to have the money issues like some of us, so get the 58 for parts as well!

14. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

The 58 in question is an Aussie bus with Semaphores , and it's RHD ... two important factors for some people. I agree Markus's 58 is sweet but some people enjoy the challenge of building their own from a rust bucket.. either way the 58's a goer for a restorer if it's as solid as said.

15. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Someone wants it!!!

16. Roo

Roo Active Member

Thanks Dak Dak, I've just learnt that Yank buses don't have Semaphores!! I'm guessing they were a German thing and not just Australian. That does make them cool! I also agree with the fact of building one's own bus and the personal attachment that comes with the blood, sweat, tears and DOLLARS that goes with it. I was amused that the question was raised as the start of this thread but I think there was only ever going to be one answer heard....... Go for it young man!!

17. michaelchurch

michaelchurch New Member

Thanks for the advice guys, going on a recovery mission to drag it out next week, will keep you updated

18. Roo

Roo Active Member

Congrats Michael. Be great to see some more pics to get a guide as to what you're up against mate.

19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

careful of those chooks. theyre going to be pissed

20. flipflop

flipflop Member

I'd walk away from that one, unless you're going to cut it up. Looking at the roofline above the popouts, looks like it's full of perforations, that is a bugger of a job, there's 3 panels to rebuild there and the middle one, I've never seen for sale as a replacement. You say 5-10 years and 40k, that's a long time to keep the enthusiasm going, I know the joys of doing it yourself, I have 3 splits and 3 other vw's and it wears you down at times. Took me 18 months to take off 7 layers of paint by hand, I'd never do it again. All those chickens crapping in it and the straw beneath it, the chassis is going to be suspect.