1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'63 11 window

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Mid West Dubber, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Mid West Dubber

Mid West Dubber Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, Recently picked up this '63 split 3km from home. This will be my long term project once the beetle is on the road. No running gear but a good start.
    Where I found it..
    [​IMG]
    In the yard at home..
    [​IMG]
    A tight fit but under cover for the first time in 20+ years..
    [​IMG]
    Cheers Rusty.

2. Bennyharp

Bennyharp Member

AWESOME!!!!! I want one so so badly

3. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Rusty, that's a great find and so close to where you live!!

Always hard to tell in photos, but looks pretty good rust wise... how's the cargo floor, front floor, doglegs, under the nose, etc?

4. Mid West Dubber

Hope to finish cleaning front and rear floors on sunday and will post some photos next week, but seems quite solid. Overall appears to be quite solid, has good roof gutters. Under the nose needs replacing but not overly bad, dog legs appear to be good.

Cheers Rusty.

5. Mid West Dubber

I am finally getting around to posting pics of the rear floor. I haven't cleaned out the front floor yet as I am waiting to get the split onto a frame and stable to work in. For now the split is being used as a storage space for my beetle parts ect.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Mid West Dubber

7. Mid West Dubber

So my bus had sat sideways in the shed for over 2 years while I saved money and collected parts for the front and rear ends. I have put a 4.5" skinned knuckles narrowed beam under and did a straight axle conversion on a type 3 rear end.

With the help of my dad we put the rear end under and the beam under.This was the first time this bus has had a front and rear end under it in 25+ years.

the rear...
    [​IMG]

The front...
    [​IMG]

up in the air...!
    [​IMG]

we slowly brought it down lowering it onto wheels in various stages...
    [​IMG]

on the ground :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

onetrackwonder and Syncro27 like this.
  8. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Great progress.

good to see the old girl getting some love.

Barry likes this.
  9. shaven

shaven Active Member

Rusty looking good mate.

10. Mid West Dubber

The wiper switch hole in the dash was badly damaged so i cut out the bad section and made a new piece to weld in. Its not completely finished and will need a bit of refining but pretty happy with it.

The bad..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Repair section I made..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Syncro27 likes this.
  11. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Impressed. Keep it up..

12. Mid West Dubber

At the start of the year I decided I wanted to make something useful at school in year 12 metal work this year. After some thinking I decided I wanted to build a rotisserie for my bus.

After searching the web at different designs I settled for the two 12 sided hoop design as it would best suit/fit the location I plan to work on the bus in future.

This is the basic idea of what I am aiming for...
    [​IMG]

So with some research and a fair bit of thinking and measuring, I had an idea of how I was going to build the two hoops.

I started off by cutting 24 (12 for each hoop) 580mm lengths of 50mm X 50mm X 3.0mm RHS with 15 degree angles on each end. (the 15 degree angles will join to make a 30 degree, 12 x 30 degrees= 360 degrees)

Ground a 45 degree on the end so the welds would penetrate better.

I then cut 4 lengths of 20x20 RHS which would be tacked into place to hold the top, bottom and side pieces square.
    [​IMG]

With it all square and tacked I placed the other pieces in place, and when I was happy I tacked each join.
    [​IMG]

The steel for the second hoop was laid over the top of this one and when they were exactly the same I tacked all four corners of each join and then fully welded the joins.
    [​IMG]

Syncro27 likes this.
  13. Mid West Dubber

With the hoop frames made I then started work on the front and rear mounting locations and got the supports welded into place...

Front...
    [​IMG]

Rear...
    [​IMG]

I tack welded equal lengths of RHS between the mounting plates to keep them square and straight when welding them to the rotisserie frame. The rear plates are offset and not central to the hoop as I wanted to have more clearance around the rear wheel arch...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Mid West Dubber

To make for easy installment and transport I chose to join the hoops with a sleeve style method with plug welds on one side and a bolt through the other side of the join...
    [​IMG]

All of the welds/joins/mounting plates etc were cleaned back and painted with a colour matched blue to the existing RHS...
    [​IMG]

I separated the rear hoop into a top and bottom half with the sleeve joins to make the installation easy. I have circled the joins...
    [​IMG]

The front hoop was joined in 4 locations which will make it possible to disassemble part of the front hoop while attached to the car, to remove the front doors for dogleg repairs etc...
    [​IMG]

The main part of the Rotisserie is completed however later on down the track I will add RHS supports which join the two hoops together and also supports to rest underneath the chassis in the centre. Very happy with the outcome of my school project.

Syncro27 and Grantus like this.
  15. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Can I ask how you are going to get it out of the shed? Do you have those things with castor wheels that go under the tyres? Is that a dirt floor? Not going to be easy - or is there something I can't see from the photos?

shaven likes this.
  16. shaven

shaven Active Member

Rollin Rollin Rollin ;)

17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Same way it went in, I imagine...........:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Syncro27 likes this.
  18. melissa

Surely not now that it has wheels!!!
    Will it go in the rotisserie and roll out sideways?

19. Mid West Dubber

Its been out of the shed for quite a while now but here is a short video of how we got it out. Floor is gravel but the large alloy signs made it really easy to get out!

Syncro27 likes this.
  20. melissa

Ah ha! All good :)