1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

64 Deluxe Resto Starts

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Split 1, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Das_Dubber

Das_Dubber Member

Is the distributor drive pinion hiding somewhere as well? I assume its not in the case given the crank is not in situ.....and they may be in with the main bearings (I assume in the square box)...but bearing dowel pins around as well?

This is much more interesting than "Where's Wally?" (no offence Wally).

Al

2. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

What is also missing is the split crank bearings, standard/standard center main, going to use them on #2 so I dont have to take the gears off to change them.

Dave

3. stew dog

stew dog New Member

My i ask what is that sump looking thing between the main pulley and the muffler? is it a sump or am i way off?

4. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

The sump looking thing is a Berg sump, it bolts on to the original oil strainer and increases the amount of oil you can have in the engine, more oil better cooling.
    Mind you I am also fitting a cooler with thermo fan between the chassis rails.

Al, heres the list of things missing from the pics, now the first lot I ordered today, which was the split crank bearings for center main #2, the rear main seal (only use the german orangey one) and a german gasket kit.

What I need to get is the copper shims for the barrels once deck height has been sorted, 2 washers for the dizzy drive, the dizzy spring, yes I need the dowel pins but should pick some up tomorrow, 3 shims for the crank end float and a few clamps and hoses, thats about it.

Oh and the Dick Landy, but that will be after this motor is run in a bit?????
    Now that might be a reason for the type 3 engine hatch???????

Dave

5. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

That hatch is well impressive Dave!
    You could house a family of five in there!! (until you put that lump you're building in it!)

Really looking forward to seeing this bus on the road mate.

Ray & da Boyz

6. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

I have more time to explain the bigger sump.

When you use a stroker motor the crank moves in a bigger circle, also the bores are bigger as such you spread more oil around, the bigger bores take more oil ect.
    So you need to supply more oil to go around the bigger holes , to hold more oil you need a bigger sump.
    Hope that sort of explains it better

The motor is a 78 x 90.5 which makes it 2007cc.
    I was going to go 94 barrels and pistons but when the NOS Fred Simpson heads came up for sale I had to have them and as they are 90.5 with a 55 cc which is perfect for the engine I wanted I went for the 90.5 bore size.
    The heads dont have really large valves I will dig out the sizes when I can but the porting is amazing and should be great for torque which is what I wanted, not top end.
    The cam is a Scat C35.
    The flywheel is standard apart from being balanced with the crank which is new 4340 chromoly forged, nitrided and balanced with VW journals.
    The carbies are 40mm Dellorto's, Scat lifters, Scat 1.25 rockers with solid shafts, rods are CB balanced, Petronix billet dizzy and a few other goodies.
    I went to see it at Daves tonight and its coming along.

Dave

7. stew dog

stew dog New Member

OK that makes sense and is pretty cool How much more oil will it hold?.
    What kind of HP are you expecting to get? i take it will be way more than a standard 2L? just with those carbies alone, never mind all the other bits and bobs.

Oooooooooooh i think you should post some picks of this motor in progress by the sounds of things it will suck small children in as you drive by a school zone :eek: :D :lol:

8. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

9. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Looking great Dave, cant wait to see some pics of the engine when it comes together...then to hear how it all goes on the road. If it runs as well as it looks, I can imagine your smile already.
    Cheers, Chris

10. Two Yanks

Two Yanks New Member

That is a great combination. It should run like a scalded rabbit! I actually wish I would have gone for less cc and more torque but I bought one already put together by Scat. It will be a hot rod but not a good daily driver. I may trade it out when I see how it does run. That is what gets you up the hills and keeping up with traffic. Good job Dave.

11. aircooled_nut

aircooled_nut Member

More pics!!!!
    Looking awsome dave.

12. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

damn thats a nice work area, it would be so handy to have your own hoist...

13. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Saw some more of the engine build today, its looking really good.
    I didnt realise that it was so involved, every nut and bolt and every measurement is checked about 5 times, the engine is put together half a dozen times as well.
    This is old school engine building, being done the right way by a pro.

Cant wait to fire it up, it should be finished in a couple of weeks.

The van is on its wheels and I have just fitted a stainless steering box protector incase its a tiny bit low?????

Dave

14. Schnidlee

Schnidlee Member

If it doesn't scrape on its first ride out of the garage Dave let me know..... ill come round and help you lower it some more. but seriously if your going LOW it might be worth looking at some of these. Don't think id pay that much for them but you could easily make up something similar. Considering you have painted under the bus it would be a real pain in the a$@e if you went and scratched it up on a steep driveway.

15. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Heres a pic of a boatyard box protector, this isnt my van but its the same protector

[​IMG]

Dave

16. Klause Focker

Klause Focker Member

Dont worry about polishing your bracket Dave, just let the road do it!

17. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

Are you workin on the bus this weekend Dave? i might pop around.

18. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

No Paul.
    I have my girls this weekend and they come before anything.
    I should be putting the finishing touches the following weekend, with any luck!!

Dave

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  19. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

Sounds good Dave ill pop around the followimg weekend. I'm keen to see the progress.

20. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Just thought I would post some pics of Daves cars.
    Hes building my engine.
    I dont know of any engine builder in Australia who builds a car with a high performance engine, drives it from Adelaide to Sydney to go to the Nationals and also drag races the car, and drives it back, This car hasnt see a trailer.
    The car has also won the Street Machine Show in Adelaide and they changed the rules afterwards as the Chevy , Mustang ect boys were upset that a little beetle beat them.
    This was about 15 years ago and the cars still

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]